Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Disney Minipark in New York City

This is Pier 40 on Manhattan's far west side (lower right of first image).
    http://www.fromtheair.com/images/Scenics/MnhtnNew2w.jpg

Closer:

The pier is a large, crumbling structure used for sports fields and long-term parking. For years the City has been courting developers to turn it into a commercial-parkland attraction.

This is WDI's concept of a condensed, floating, movable theme park:
    http://progresscityusa.com/wp-conten...09/05/ftp4.jpg
    Learn more here: Welcome to MarkHickson.com

Then I saw this incredible Origami castle made by a Japanese artist. It appears to contain a rollercoaster and Ferris Wheel and could house many dark rides on multiple interior levels:
    http://funster.us/wp-content/uploads...t_castle_1.jpg

http://winnieshek.files.wordpress.co...t_castle_6.jpg

http://cdn.dornob.com/wp-content/upl...ful-castle.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/m...i_1440871c.jpg

It struck me that the castle looks like the S.S. Disney project and how neat it would be to have a world-class Disney indoor-outdoor theme park on the banks of the world's greatest city & skyline.

It would not happen for many, many reasons, but it's fun to imagine it.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-12-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Hotlinked images, against site rules

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Disney Minipark in New York City

I could see a lot of red tape to go through and I don't know if all the locals would approve, but I think it would be great. Great addition to the city. Would probably look beautiful.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Minion

^ Oh yes. NIMBYism in NYC is ridiculous (it's my hometown). Mayor Bloomberg pushed as hard as he could for a new NFL stadium 20 blocks north of Pier 40 in a non-residential area and got nowhere.
    http://www.sportsbusinesssims.com/jetsstadium2.jpg

There would be opponents for such a project attacking from all sides. Still, if the economic/tax/job creation incentives/needs were there, it might be able to get pushed through.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-12-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Yesyesyes! This would be amazing.

As New Yorker who sat through all of the anti-West Side Stadium propaganda, I feel this would be an easier sell to New York.

As a spectator, the West Side Stadium looked very much like NYC was going to fund a private stadium that really only benefited football and its fans (a travesty, in my opinion, in NY, where baseball is most prevalent).

This would be more financed by Disney, I think, much more of a private enterprise than a stadium would be. It would add even more character to the city and those paper castles look beautiful. I would love if Disney enhanced their presence in New York.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

• Dreamer

As much as I love the idea and hope to see that Disney cruiser/island after all, I'd like to remind you that Walt himself wanted to build another Disneyland in the New York Area area, but decided to move that project down to Orlando - where it could be operational all year long as well - and gave way to the Walt Disney Resort.

As someone who lives in the DC area - I would love this.

A few thoughts though: I don't see NYers being as opposed to this as they were the stadium since it would be privately funded and Disney would work to help the road situation around anything they build.

I would hope they build one or two of their own hotels - the prices to stay in NYC are a bit steep.

This would be interesting for Disney - I don't know what the areas were like surrounding the properties they purchased in Tokyo, Paris or Hong Kong (probably very busy) but whenever they've built anything here in the US, they've been able to move in before anybody else did - Orlando, in particular, was barely on the map when Walt Disney bought that property. Having to contend with the added hassle and limits of building in NYC would be different for them.

One other thing - don't anybody fall into that river!

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I know DisneyQuest bombed in Chicago, but I'd love to see Disney try another, smaller indoor park or even something like this in NYC.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Another great idea from Randy Savage.

• The Study of Wumbo

They probably wouldn't be able to pull off fireworks every night, if I had to guess. But it would be cool to see how a park like this would be integrated into the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    As much as I love the idea and hope to see that Disney cruiser/island after all, I'd like to remind you that Walt himself wanted to build another Disneyland in the New York Area area, but decided to move that project down to Orlando - where it could be operational all year long as well - and gave way to the Walt Disney Resort.
    I don't follow. A park in New York with this design could be successful- with minimal space that can be overcome by snow and cold. Disneyland Paris is farther north than NYC, you know.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I don't follow. A park in New York with this design could be successful- with minimal space that can be overcome by snow and cold. Disneyland Paris is farther north than NYC, you know.
    I've lived in NYC and to my memory the winters are a tad harsher on the northern east coast than on the le-de-France. You get all the cold from upstate NY and Canada.

I would be all up for a fully enclosed park within a giant glass dome* that can be opened in the spring/summer, but forget the fireworks, you'll never get the surrounding residents to agree to such a thing, Manhattan is already densely inhabited and they're already complaining in LA.

*Imagineer me that, Randy.

• Disney aficionado

This really is a terrific idea. There isn't any reason why they couldn't make a Disneyland area that is both winter / summer running. The park could consist of all indoor type dark rides including some notable favorites: Space mountain, toy story midway mania, Pirates of the carribean, peter pan, maybe a couple new NYC style themed rides, maybe an indoor type of splash mountain that can have "dryers" for the winter. If you put up a park that has these signature rides it would be a smashing success in NYC.

You could also have as a center point a Mickey Pool for the summer that doubles as an ice skating rink in the winter.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

I think this concept only works if every attraction is unique and new, even if it's got the same theme like Casey Jr., it should be it's own thing. Just my thoughts. Otherwise, nobody'll go to a boutique park to see clones from the more expansive Disney World. It's got to have things that make you want to come for their own sake. Even if there are SIMILAR experiences, give them a new twist.

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think this concept only works if every attraction is unique and new, even if it's got the same theme like Casey Jr., it should be it's own thing. Just my thoughts. Otherwise, nobody'll go to a boutique park to see clones from the more expansive Disney World. It's got to have things that make you want to come for their own sake. Even if there are SIMILAR experiences, give them a new twist.
    They should be able to reuse ideas that were successes like Expedition Everest and Space mountain and Midway Mania. They should just tweak them a bit and maybe give them a NYC flair.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here are some more photos and a description of that Disney theme park ship, the S.S. Disney, and what it would have been like: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-bu...isneyland.html
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Not here to help

hmmm... there already is a place like this and it is built by Disney. It has a few of the classic rides and few shows. Its like a Disneyland but smaller. Its in Hong Kong.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast