• "I Break Things"

T&T Road Trip, Julian and Oasis Camel Dairy!

Bit of a quick backstory. Tink was actually due on Saturday July 17th. Since it is "her day" I let her decide what she wanted to do. The entire week she has been craving apple pie. For anyone who has been to Julian, there is no substitute. Some would call it daring. We simply felt that it didn't matter if we were right next to the hospital, or 2hrs away... if the baby wanted to come then it would but Tink wanted apple pie. Thankfully my mom was nice enough to join us in case we needed someone to watch the kids. It took us a little over 3hrs to get there (we stopped on the way for lunch).

There is a little place called "Mom's" It's been there since the 80's.

Mom's apple pie julian; home

During apple season you are lucky if you can get in the door in under an hour. During the holidays... good luck... the line is literally around the block. Even yesterday, at 4pm, there was a line. The taste is different when apples aren't in season. But this still beats everything but my Grandma's apple pie (and even that is a razor thin margin).

They also sell in a few locations... and years ago you could sometimes get them at the big San Diego swapmeet during the holidays. But this logo is LEGENDARY in San Diego.

He's 7 this year... I was about his age when I first had one.

best "random shot" ever.

Grandma and the current "baby in the family". She is about to get a baby brother within the week and doesn't realize how much life will change. Due to the economics of the "by the slice" price we decided to get a whole pie!

Grandma digging in, it was 1 bite grandma, 3 bites little one. They each had 2 helpings.

I was "lucky" to get 2 slices of pie without loosing a hand... these little monsters DEVOURED the pie. The poor pie never had a chance. It didn't last more then 10 minutes on that table. So... now it's time to walk off the pie.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: T&T Road Trip, Julian and Oasis Camel Dairy!

Julian is an old mining town. Sort of like an authentic Disneyland "Main Street". Most of the buildings are really old, or restored... all the shops inside are new and usually tourist traps.

The Levi building... more on this in a moment.

The garage (really wish it was still a garage with classic cars but alas).

One of the delis

All of us in front of the old City Hall. This is the "new" City Hall (see sign below)

Sadly the building closed at 4pm so I wasn't able to get pictures of the inside.

The tourist signpost... where do you want to go?

Back to the Levi building with the fun raccoon stairpost.

Before anyone gets scared... yes that is a Bob's Big Boy, no it isn't a franchise in Julian (but the building houses one of the oldest soda fountains in CA)

For those who like the history.

The "new" Town Hall from across the street.

• "I Break Things"

wow...

Another bit of history.

Yet another establishment that is nearly impossible to get in during apple season. Best cider and apple butter in town.

Because every town needs a "health drink store"...

To make sure everyone was "happy" I had purchased one pie for the road, and one pie for Tink's parents back home.

A final shot of Grandma and the 4 in front of the Birdwatcher.

There are plenty more things to do including a mine tour, pioneer museum, and cemetery, and plenty of B&B's and boutiques. For anyone looking for the "small mountain town" feel this is perfect. Unfortunately we had a very late start so we couldn't do some of the things I had wanted to... but there will always be another time.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

If Mom's Apple Pie couldn't lure that baby out, he's one stubborn kid!

nice TR, Skip. Another place I've always heard about but never visited.

For some reason I really want apple pie now...

• "I Break Things"

The reason for our rush through Julian was because we had a tour to meet at 530pm. Oasis Camel Dairy has one public tour a month. If you are headed to Julian you may wish to look at their website. They are located right off the 78 about 25 minutes from Julian.

Home Page

The sign pretty much says it all and you can see it from the street. Sometimes you can see the camels from the road.

This is one of their bulls. He is currently on his own (they give a profile of most of the animals during the tour). The unique thing about him is his coloring. He is a mix of black and tan. Most camels are tan in part to deflect the desert heat. Evolution has made sure that a dark colored camel is a rare sight.

They also have a bird show, this is one of the new members (forgot his name). A bit noisy but a lot of fun.

This was the first evening tour they've done. Most tours are around the noon hour... but with temperatures hovering around 100 they decided 6pm was a better time to do a tour. This was a HUGE turnout, lots of people, and yet the tour was still very intimate and no one felt rushed at all.

The place is owned and operated by Nancy and her husband Gil. Nancy starts the tour with a bird show, explaining what we will see. This fun bird did a variety of tricks, and laughs like a human (which is hysterical). He also does some funny impressions.

The parrot was a little more timid, but still amazing to watch and listen to.

One of the few times I have seen all the girls giving their undivided attention.

• "I Break Things"

This is Jamal, he was the first calf they delivered years ago. Now full size. For reference Gil is about 6ft.

I am not zoomed in, they were that close to us, and as you will see later we were allowed to be even closer.

Next they brought out mom and calf. These are the same two who were at the Del Mar Fair this year. The little one is only 2 months old.

Nancy and Gil then directed us to a paddock and demonstrated how a camel is milked. This was fascinating to both watch and listen to. Camel's milk is extremely close to human, and in some Arabian countries it is fed to newborns in place of formula. It also has natural insulin, and has been proven to help with a variety of human ailments.

This was how much milk they harvested in less then a minute. They are not allowed to sell the milk for human consumption. In fact this jar was to be sent to a Colorado lab for research.

While Gil milked, Nancy gently brushed some of the winter coat from the mother camel. Camels are related to llamas and as such have a summer and winter coat. It can be spun, and Nancy was looking into any interested weavers. The main difference between this and sheep is that sheep are much cleaner...camels like to roll in the dirt. So you need to clean it up... but it is amazing.

A bit of show and tell. There was also hair on the ground in the grass, and at times one of the helpers would just give a kid a ball of hair... I ended up taking some home. I have friends in RenFaire and we might get in touch with some weavers.

As I said you get MUCH closer... this beauty loved the kids.

Another one that wanted to say "hi"

Amazing animals.

• "I Break Things"

This is Goldie, she's expecting... she's also incredibly gentle and considered one of the best camels in the herd.

Like I said we came home with a few hairballs... the girls LOVED to pet her and she turned to "hug" them a couple times.

I don't know for sure but he claimed he "felt a kick". I think he was thinking of his own baby brother (come on baby you're due today!!!)

Someone wanted a picture of the baby lambs...

Another shot of that cute little 2 year old.

• "I Break Things"

Nancy also had some cool statues and carvings and farm equipment.

I am a sucker for antique farm equipment

and wood carvings

another amazing carving.

Really old cattle chute.

So... do they do with the milk? Well they send some off for research, the rest they have for private use, and for making soap. Nancy makes handmade scented soap (currently $5 a bar). From talking to her I was told it takes a lot to make a batch, and the bars are about 25% camel's milk. For anyone going in August she may not have soap... our tour group brought just about everything (even got a bar for my mother-in-law). She also sells soap online at the website and will send it when she has it.

This tour also had camel rides, I'm told some do, some don't. Jamal was the camel giving rides to kids for $5 a pop. We didn't ride simply because our local zoo has a camel ride this summer. Nancy and Gil do shows, tours, school groups, fairs, Christmas pageants etc. This was simply amazing and a great way to end an evening. Aside from Kuwait I have never been that close to a camel.

Huell Howser has been there, so has Mike from Dirty Jobs. It is just an amazing littel secret tucked away in the valley. Tours currently are $10 adults, $8 seniors, $7 kids... but check the website to verify prices before heading out. The tour is about an hour... we spent a total of 2 hours there (got there at 530pm, left right around 730pm). Very tired when we finally walked in the door... but a wonderful day of memories.

FWIW... the baby didn't arrive that night, but Tink walked as the Dr had ordered!
    Last edited by techskip; 07-19-2010 at 07:25 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    If Mom's Apple Pie couldn't lure that baby out, he's one stubborn kid!

nice TR, Skip. Another place I've always heard about but never visited.

For some reason I really want apple pie now...
    My recommendation would be to go on a day trip during apple season. Send the husband with the kids to go on a tour... buy an apple pie "to go" (lines are long but they will hold it for you) then explore the town as a family.

Mom's also has a "new" store off the 78 headed into Julian but the classic Mom's is right there on Main Street. The "new" location holds a special memory for me.

Years ago there was an old farmer who had a fruit stand on that spot. He had a HUGE apple press, and coolers in the back for apples and apple cider. Our family would always stop at his stand for honey, fudge, apples and apple cider. He would always grab a jug, take us in back... and get us cider "right from the spot". You can't get fresher as the trees it came from were all within a hundred yards of the press! 6.5 years ago I went back to Julian after not having been there in years. I went up and down 78 twice looking for this childhood memory. Times had changed.

I thought I had recognized it when I saw it... but I wasn't sure why there was a candy store where my childhood memory had been. Tink and I walked in and I politely asked about the old farmer. Sure enough he had passed on, and this was his old stand. The apple press was an antique that went to a local museum. The curator couldn't believe it had been in use right up until the old farmer passed (they just don't make things like that anymore). Those huge apple coolers now held Belgian chocolate at the "perfect temperature".

Evidently that candy store didn't do so well... because on my first trip back in 6.5 years it was gone. Mom's now has the property... and I wish them the best. Hopefully this will make it easier to get those amazing pies in the apple season.

• Closed Account

Wow! I was born and raised in SoCal, and I've never heard of either of these two places! (And I actually did make it a point to seek out odd places like this).

Great TR and photos, Skip!

--Steve

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Wow! I was born and raised in SoCal, and I've never heard of either of these two places! (And I actually did make it a point to seek out odd places like this).

Great TR and photos, Skip!

--Steve
    The Camel Dairy is only 6 or 7 years old... Julian on the other hand is a town that was primarily settled after the Civil War.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

No little Skip yet???

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    No little Skip yet???
    not just yet... Dr gave Tink until Friday and then we induce.

• Mrs. J. Depp

You guys are a Mom's Pie family, we are a Julian Pie Company family. Rivals! haha I have great memories of Julian as a kid. Thanks for the report. I would love to do the camel tour sometime. Too bad you didn't have time to do the gold mine tours, the kids would have loved it!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    not just yet... Dr gave Tink until Friday and then we induce.
    Ohhhhhh boy. C'mon lilSkip, get moving NOW!!!

Good wishes to all 3 of you, and do let us know when the little one arrives.