Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

OC Fair and a special surprise!

Tink and I didn't think we'd make it to the OC Fair. Her due date was July 17th and we'd both just resigned ourselves to go to Del Mar instead. After she passed her due date we looked for places to go to walk around. So on Wednesday the 21st sometime around 6pm we headed out for an evening at the fair. Just getting there was a challenge. They had a concert going, and it seemed like every parking lot was full and closed. They were directing people in all different directions... I REALLY began to appreciate Disneyland style parking! What a nightmare, but we eventually parked, bought tickets, and walked in.

As hungry as we were we wanted to see a few things first. Someone on here could likely tell me "yes' or "no" but I swear this is the old truck that sat at Jungle's exit.

There were no signs... so if anyone knows please do tell.

Hey Tink's been craving ice this whole pregnancy, so why not.

It's a nice 15-20 degrees inside the museum so they hand out parka blankets for everyone. One of the girls didn't want to wear her's. The attendant told her to just hold it. When she walked in the door there was a scramble to get her jacket on. "Dad it's freezing" was all I heard as I saw a blur of green.

Tink complaining about the cold.

These two took off ahead while their sister struggled with her jacket.

The setup in the ice box was a giant U... with the statues on your left as you walked in and more stuff on your right as you left.

Easter Island statue

Egyptian Pharaoh.

That's the older two with a Chinese Lion next to them (close up in the next shot).

Chinese Lion

I believe this was Michael... I know it was one of the angels.

I know there is a fine line with art vs nudity but you can't see anything here... They did have the famous "Venus" statue that is a nude torso. I purposely did not include that one in this TR.

I wish the detail had come out better... this is a 5ft long Chinese Dragon.

I just love the ceiling arches

The Mona Lisa

The Thinker

So cold his glasses fogged up!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Re: OC Fair and a special surprise!

I believe the exhibit we were in was titled "edible art" or something to that effect. Which is not the place to be when everyone is hungry... but we decided to look around.

That was out of butter and they are still working on it.

Fruits and Veggies

Not your standard "Happy Birthday" cakes...

Sorry but my flash took out the top of the guitar.

I like the one on the right

Now that is just cool.

For the art lovers

I believe this was in the "kids" section.

The closest to a "normal" cake and even this was over the top.

Gingerbread House

For the memories (Tink started to cry and said "stupid hormones")

Next we walked into the woodworking section. Lots of interesting things, but only a couple shots.

I LOVE the exterior clocks where you can see all the gears.

Yes... hand carved...

A bit over the top for my taste but I love grandfather clocks in general.

The fun furry pillows by the exit. The kids LOVED this exhibit... and were very good about not touching anything (sign posted).

• "I Break Things"

Time for food...

The oldest just wanted fries (he's picky like that). Tink and the girls shared a fried zucchini.

The family at the Prehistoric Pets booth. It's $7 or $8 for them to take a picture, print it out, and give you a nice paper framed photo. Or $5 for them to just use your camera. The best part is "As many as can fit" so it isn't a per person charge.

Their entire booth is reptile exhibits. So even if you don't want a picture it is worth the visit to the kids area.

One of the monitor lizards

An albino in the corner

Green Anaconda

Emperor Scorpions. Quick fact on scorpions... the larger the pinches the less toxic the sting. If the pincers are small then it needs more toxic venom to subdue the prey.

In the bowel is something called a "Pixie" Frog. Diet includes mice, frogs, snakes, lizards, insects, anything small enough to fit in its mouth... anyone seen Tinkerbell?

• "I Break Things"

On the way to see Weird Al we walked past this. I ran back and took a photo...

Someone should tell Disney about this amazing Fastpass system!

Weird Al

No pictures allowed inside but I HIGHLY recommend this show. When we went it was a walk-on but it was also around 9pm. Last year we went around 6pm and it was a 20 minute wait. The show is Weird Al explaining how the brain works (which is funny in itself) and the finale is a music video about the brain (which is hysterical). After the movie they have fun exhibits to read that explain different parts of the brain and optical illusions.

Last year the exhibits were before the show, and the complaint was that you didn't have time to see everything. This year they listened... and the exhibits are after the movie so you have time to enjoy it. There is also a gift shop. Tink and I got each kid a brain eraser for a quarter!

Every kid needs to be spoiled at Fair. One "trick" I learned. You get 1 Twinkie but you get 4 Oreos per basket. So if you have multiple kids and are running a bit low on cash... go for the Oreos as you get "more" to share.

Those two baskets of Oreos didn't last long.

Old style taffy machine.

I had a banana split, Tink had the chocolate dipped cheesecake... and with all that in our bellies we decided to walk it off. We stumbled on the vegetable competition.

The onion stalks were about 2.5ft tall for reference.

The cool pumpkins

Even the Judges weren't sure what exactly it was... but it looked cool.

Those sunflower pods are as big as her head.

There was a "no touch" rule but the judge allowed this as a reference for size. My son is about 48in tall...

• "I Break Things"

After the veggies it was on to the livestock around the Millennium Barn.

Longhorn animal with calf.

There is just something about baby chicks which brings out the kid in all of us.

They loved this.

close up

One of the pigs had piglets (I think they said 2 weeks old). VERY cute but a huge crowd around them.

Kids staring at the piglets.

Saying hi to a calf

Petting the lamb.

• "I Break Things"

Over a decade ago I watched a street artist in Ensenada Mexico doing this. They use spray paint, and then smear it accordingly. I have a beautiful old west painting done in this fashion. I was thrilled to see it here!

All he uses is strips of posterboard, spraypaint, a plastic bag and sometimes a small rubber brush or knife. This is pure talent.

Spraying the board

Smearing the paint. He used cooking pot covers to make the planets/background (this was done as we were walking up).

This is just a fraction of the crowd. Over time our kids were able to sit in front and watch him. There was a slight smell of spraypaint but not very strong (it was outside).

Finished Product. Sorry for the slight blur and off center. This was zoomed in as it lay on the ground. They were being sold for $20 a piece or raffled off ($1 a ticket for a chance). Of all the artists we encountered they were the friendliest. People kept asking if it was ok to take photos and his "manager" encouraged them. He said people wouldn't believe it was done this way without photos.

By contrast there were silk weavers who wove amazing Chinese Silk "murals"... I had wanted a photo with the kids and the artist but they didn't want any photos. To be "nice" I deleted that photo and handed them the camera so they knew I was being honest. They explained that people won't pay, they'll take a picture and either blow up the picture or have someone else make it for cheaper.

So in that context it was amazing to watch, and photograph, this spraypaint artist. If only the spraypaint artists in Los Angeles would learn to be this productive.

• "I Break Things"

After all the excitement, all the walking, nothing happened. Well I shouldn't say nothing. The front brakes on our van suddenly decided to grind... so I had to nurse it home and nurse it to work the next day. I had planned to take the van in on my lunch... that didn't happen.

At 1230 I got a call from Tink. It was time to head to the hospital. Due to the van's brakes I had to nurse it home, shuttle everyone to Grandma's, then borrow Grandma's car to take Tink to the hospital. We checked in around 130pm. Adter some back and forth the doctor decided to induce her... and early Friday morning... our little one arrived!

8lbs 8oz... 21.5in long.

Tink and I are now home with everyone. I have this week off to spend time with the family. I may occasionally be online, but likely won't be saying much. Yesterday I took the older kids to the beach with Grandma so mom and baby could rest. Tonight we might head out as a family... not sure yet.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I've been waiting for this news! Congrats!
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great report and congrats on the new baby!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Congratulations!

• Jack's Posse

Awesome TR!
    And congrats on the baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• sleepy lagoon

Congratulations Tech & Tink!!
    I am so happy for you guys; what an awesome blessing!!

Great TR as always!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Congratulations!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

OK, you made the OC fair look good. I HATE the OC fair, so your TR skills are awesome!
    Congrats again on the little one and a big 'mom' hug for Tink.

• no flash photography...

Awe, congratulations...he's gorgeous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast