Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mecha-Shiva! Mecha-Shiva!

Ghostrider: ride of pain

So I haven't been to Knott's since I was about 5 (circa 1989). I believe my thinking has always been "why go to Knott's when I can go to Disney"?

Anywho, I went this past Sunday with one of my best friends and we had a really good time. That is, until...

Me: Hey, let's go on that Ghostrider rollercoaster!
    Him: Are you sure? It's like, wooden and really jerky...
    Me: Shut up! I love wooden rollercoasters!

Well, right after the first drop it felt like a million little elves were pounding on my head with rubber mallets. I couldn't even brace myself to keep from flopping around like a ragdoll! All in all, I walked off the ride with a pounding headache, which has never happened to me before. It can't be coincidence that there's a First Aid station close to the exit!

I've never been on a ride that was so hurty. Now I just want to know why. WHYYYYYY?? Why does it hurt so darn much? Any engineers/armchair imagineers have any explanations? Is there some reason everyone knows but me?

• Animation Domination

Re: Ghostrider: ride of pain

I went on it last year during Knott's Scary Farm and I said I would never go on Ghostrider ever again. Then I hear from a friend this year that it's not that jerky anymore so maybe one more try in October.
    "You are watching FOX"

Hmm, maybe it just takes some getting used to?

• Circle of Ancients

When Ghostrider first opened, it was A-MAZING. Not just great ... Amazing. Probably the best wooden coaster I've ever ridden (I've ridden over 160 different coasters).

But it hasn't been taken care of and I'm to the point where I'm not going to ride it until they do some MAJOR work on it and I start hearing that it's rideable again. At this point it may even be worse than Psyclone was before it got torn down.

• Functional & Decorative

Ghostrider isn't the only one, lots of wooden coasters get that "rough ride" reputation as they age, especially if they're large (Mean Streak at Cedar Point comes to mind, Son of Beast, and I personally found Twister at Knobels a bit rough). I'm not an engineer, but I imagine it takes a lot of work to keep them smooth. As mentioned above, when it first opened, it was very smooth.

Terminator: Salvation at SFMM is actually very smooth, let's hope it stays that way.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

^ I agree about Twister at Knoebels. After riding Phoenix (my #1 woody BTW) I fully expected Twister to be just as smooth ... but it wasn't. I think we rode it twice and then went back and rode Phoenix another 10-12 times. I could ride that thing all day.

It's just weird to me that these parks that have such harsh weather in the offseason, Knoebels with Phoenix, Hershey with Lightning Racer, etc can keep them running great yet all of the CA parks don't seem to know how to keep them running good. Even Roar up at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom isn't as great as it used to be.

I hope they can keep Terminator running good too.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    But it hasn't been taken care of and I'm to the point where I'm not going to ride it until they do some MAJOR work on it and I start hearing that it's rideable again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Ghostrider isn't the only one, lots of wooden coasters get that "rough ride" reputation as they age, especially if they're large (Mean Streak at Cedar Point comes to mind, Son of Beast, and I personally found Twister at Knobels a bit rough). I'm not an engineer, but I imagine it takes a lot of work to keep them smooth. As mentioned above, when it first opened, it was very smooth.
    Ooooooh, OK, that makes so much sense. What a shame they haven't kept it up - it looks like so much fun but hurts so darn much. Thanks guys!

My favorite wooden coaster seem to be well taken care of then (The Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Broadwalk) since it's never hurt at all! It's just awesome fun.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Pretty sad that an 80 year old coaster is better than a 12 year old coaster.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Ghostrider was once my favorite wooden coaster. I can't ride it any more. Too painful. It needs a major refurb. They will probably need to replace the tracks along the entire ride and install new shocks on the trains or get entirely new trains.

Wooden coasters are great, but they require lots of regular maintenance.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Pretty sad that an 80 year old coaster is better than a 12 year old coaster.
    Yeah, seriously!

As I recall GR is a CCI coaster, and from personal experience, they don't seem to age well. Don't know if it's the design, materials used or what, but they all seemed bent on beating the crap out of you after a few years of service.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Ghostrider used to be my favorite roller coaster ever. Nothing even came close to it and I believe it was rated as the number 1 wooden roller coaster in the United States at one time (at least on the West Coast). It just hasn't been taken care of. I refuse to go on it now and will continue to do so because it's age has been showing.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

If you insist on riding Ghostrider in it's current horrible state, sit in the front of a car- otherwise you're sitting right over the axle, and all that bad tracking vibrates it's way right up your spine.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    If you insist on riding Ghostrider in it's current horrible state, sit in the front of a car- otherwise you're sitting right over the axle, and all that bad tracking vibrates it's way right up your spine.
    Makes sense! Yep, sat in the back - did my spine no favors!

Ghostrider is still my number one its perfect in the back seat! Airtime is amazing and i think its the perfect amount of roughness for a woodie i could and have ride it all day.
    Smiley Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast