Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

San Diego Cohete-Con 2010: Lazier than last year

If you saw my report from last year, don't expect much. I think I only took half as many pictures and did way less. But hey, I think I dodged a bullet. It could have been ME who got stabbed with a pen!

So... I don't mean to crowd the scene because you already have a ton of other comic-con reports to look at but well... I had to start it some time!

I'm gonna be jumping around so, don't expect a chronology of what I did. Post #1 is all TRON LEGACY because this is what I was most excited for. But... I didn't do the panel. I couldn't get in. Soo... oh well.

Comic-Con celebrates the popular arts... but mostly Tron Legacy.

Two years ago, Disney made a huge splash at Comic-Con with the debut of their visual effects trailer for TRON LEGACY. In 2009, Flynn's Arcade was erected in an empty building in San Diego where fans were lead on a viral scavenger hunt in attempts to gain access. Disney has brought back Flynn's once again, but made a few adjustments to the experience. But first, you need one of these:

Disney dubbed the event "Comitron" and these tickets are free if you know where to look or when to wait.

Helping hands pass out keepsakes in the form of a TRON coin purse with arcade tokens inside.

Within the walls of Flynn's, you can play arcades from yesteryear...

Or try your hand at the latest...

A new digital touch screen Coke machine offered guests free samples of Coca-Cola Zero.

When you've had your share of video games, you enter the back portal into another location.

Here you wait, while you examine Flynn's office.

Of course things go awry when you get zapped into the computer...

The doors open and you proceed down a lit hall that simulates the laser beam.

There's a light at the end of this tunnel but what will it be? Last year, the model of the lightcycle was enough to impress fans.

This year they've really outdone themselves. You're now standing in a recreation of a bar from the film TRON LEGACY.

There's no booze here (there was during the Myspace party Friday night) but you can still get more Coca-Cola Zero if you're thirsty.

Patterns play on the large screen and on occasion you can see the latest Tron Legacy trailer.

On the left of the bar, you can find a mannequin with the Tron outfit on display.

On the right, you can preview the upcoming merchandise and try out the new headphones.

iPhone Dock

Oakleys

Belt Buckle

Hats

Light up Adidas are coming this December.

And of course, there's going to be a full line of toys by Spinmasters. They have the license to the classic TRON as well but may not get to that if this collection does poorly.

Need another Wiimote control? I know I will.

The TRON LEGACY experience continues on the Exhibition Floor with an exclusive Light Cycle limited to 3000 ($5) and a Vintage figure limited to 1,500 for ($40).

These outfits will be made available and they really light up!

December 17th can't come soon enough and Comic-Con either helped the wait or made it that much harder.

More to come. Like when I feel like it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Re: San Diego Cohete-Con 2010: Lazier than last year

This is very awesome!

What I find kind of strange is that I did not like the original Tron at all. Stupid dialogue, lame story, horrible effects... the list goes on. But I am very excited to see the new movie and what they've done with it. Should be WAY better than the first.

And I am glad you were not stabbed by a pen.

• MiceChat Moderator

Thanks!

And yah, I'm not sure why I was a lazy photographer this year. Maybe because of the crowds or maybe that I spent more time hanging out and doing things OUTSIDE of the convention than normal.

I stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp along with MaryanninWonderland and ShockerBatman and we had to get in on Tuesday night because that's what the hotel demanded of us. And yah, I forgot to take pictures of the hotel because I had a douchey vibe about the people working there.

Wednesday morning, slept in a bit, had lunch at Joe's Crab Shack behind the convention and saw this guy waiting to make it into the floor.

As you can see, it's pretty overcast and was like that much of the week. The train was my foe every single day. Gettin' in my way!

Syfy opted not to do a booth for the past two years and instead, completely took over a restaurant next to Hard Rock Hotel. I didn't get a chance to try it out.

Check in was 3pm to get the badges but the Preview night didn't begin until 6pm. What happens in that 3 hours is basically milling about, dodging security. They have a real issue with people waiting at the lobby entrances to get in.

Almost immediately I bumped into Kuzcochik and DarkwingChuck. You can see plenty of them in their TR so here's her Freakazoid shoes.

And then we wait...

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Yes! My shoes made it in your TR I feel special

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    Yes! My shoes made it in your TR I feel special
    You ARE special!

Moving on... so preview night. It's the night where you are allowed to see everything before the very first day! But with the majority of people going to Comic-Con every single day... it's not much of a preview anymore is it? It's basically what I consider Day 1/2.

And plus, there's really no panels so EVERYONE is on the floor, making it pretty crowded.

My main goal for Preview night was to get some TRON Legacy exclusive toys at the Disney booth. That was an immediate fail. folks who had Exhibitor badges were already inside setting booths up and they formed a line before the convention officially opened.

Next to the TRON booth was Gentle Giant Studios and... they had a pair of Slave Leia's.

What's pretty awesome about GG this year is that they're redoing the original vintage Star Wars toys in a giant 12" scale.

The first one is available at comic-con for $85. gasp!

Over at the Mattel booth, the girls were handing out Moss Man deodorant. Pretty clever though most people will ignore the hint.

Masters of the Universe is the big thing again with Mattel

And the exclusive this year is.. well they had two. One is Mo-larr, the Eternian Dentist with Skeletor $40. This is based on a sketch on Robot Chicken.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VttHHT87Gmc]YouTube - Mo Larr[/ame]

They had a massive display but I only got one side of it

Their Ghostbusters toyline is just gaining speed.

A cool PKE Meter is coming out with both Ghostbusters 1 and Ghostbusters II settings!

Retro action Cartoon figures are on the way. Peter Venkman is a convention exclusive

12" Peter Venkman figure

Another convention exclusive is this Ecto-1 diecast car $20.

Here's the convention exclusive Lotso $20

And Tokyo Mater $20

The most inexpensive exclusive you can get at the Mattel booth is Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet for $5. It's actually just an empty package.

Plastic Man is on display

Lots of DC goodness coming our way

There's even a 12" Christopher Reeve Superman FINALLY!

Mattel girl in Starro mask. They were handing out these for free.

Undertaker

More stuff to come.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Boo about doing less of a TR! I want my Wonder Woman collectible cardbacks back in that case! (only kidding )

awww I missed out on the Moss Man deodorant. Once again I missed out on Flynn's because I didn't ask where it was and next year will be too late.

•   
    • Super Hero

I love your Comic-con TRs, Coheteboy! Was it more crowded this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• Infinitized!

Excellent! Looking forward to more.

Was there any Indy stuff there this year?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Nice Trip Report so far, CB!

Timekeeper

• MiceChat Moderator

Thanks!!

Over in the Hasbro booth, many many many toys were on display. I'll just show some highlights though because there was a ton.

Here's a retro Generation 1 Transformer BLASTER that has been reissued with other cassettes for $54. I kinda wish I bought it because growing up, it was the one Transformer that I lost. I dunno if it was lost, stolen, whatever. But I don't have it anymore.

General Grievous stands in front of an evolution of the plastic toy lightsaber. Pretty fascinating actually.

Hasbro has the Marvel license for all upcoming films.

Here's a display of all their Marvel figures. Galactus was a comic-con exclusive for $65.

Hasbro's Star Wars are on a real vintage kick right now, selling updated vehicles in the old fashioned boxes. FINALLY, a company that really takes advantage of what people love. Disney doesn't do this nearly enough.

Even the updated Snowspeeder will get the vintage treatment. Look at the box.. those are all NEW updated figures!

Even the prequel trilogy is getting the "vintage" treatment. How cool does this look? Seriously. It looks rad.

This is part of a massive Hoth diorama.

And yes, it is indeed a trap. Finally after 13 years, we get a new Admiral Ackbar!

I'm getting tired... I think I'm going to sleep inside a Taun Taun!

more to come. it's been a busy day, sorry.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

OMG, Coheteboy, this is awesome. Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Is it me, or are the faces on the action figures (like the Superman one) getting much more realistic. That was really incredible.

They should make Flynn's Arcade permanent. Looks really cool. They could move it above the Starcade in Tomorrowland!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Even the updated Snowspeeder will get the vintage treatment. Look at the box.. those are all NEW updated figures!
    Ah the snowspeeder. I had the original when I was a kid, but unfortunately, during playtime one time, the front end was left too close to a heater and got all warped. After that it was my battle-damaged Snowspeeder! I still got it!

I'm looking forward to all the Marvel stuff that's going to be rolled out next year. Any news if they'll continue the 6" exclusive line for Walmart as they did for Iron Man 2 this year?

Thanks Coheteboy! Keep those photos coming. Got to check out kuzcochik's TR too.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Was there any Indy stuff there this year?
    Nope! Hardly anything at all Indiana Jones related.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    I love your Comic-con TRs, Coheteboy! Was it more crowded this year?
    Definitely more crowded this year. Which is probably why I was lazier about taking pictures.. I just couldn't get into anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

Is it me, or are the faces on the action figures (like the Superman one) getting much more realistic. That was really incredible.

They should make Flynn's Arcade permanent. Looks really cool. They could move it above the Starcade in Tomorrowland!

Haha, thanks, Dusty! Yah the sculpts on toys these days are leaps and bounds what they were before, but there's definitely a charm to those older vintage toys.

I definitely think a Flynn's Arcade would work in Starcade... but more of a 80s Arcade where people can play those old vintage games for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Ah the snowspeeder. I had the original when I was a kid, but unfortunately, during playtime one time, the front end was left too close to a heater and got all warped. After that it was my battle-damaged Snowspeeder! I still got it!

I'm looking forward to all the Marvel stuff that's going to be rolled out next year. Any news if they'll continue the 6" exclusive line for Walmart as they did for Iron Man 2 this year?

Thanks Coheteboy! Keep those photos coming. Got to check out kuzcochik's TR too.
    There's more 6" figures I think. I saw a Warpath and a few other characters. Sorry I wasn't more attentive to those. I don't follow it anymore.

Sideshow Collectilbles displayed a lot of stuff this year but I only took a few photos. Here's some statues of the Ninja Turtles. Way cool.

Roger Rabbit gets his own statue finally... this time he's about to burn his weenie.

And like Dustysage said above, the toys are getting more and more realistic. Check out this Scarlett Johansen by Hong Kong toy company Hot Toys (distributed by sideshow). This 12" figure will run nearly $200 so quality comes at a price.

Premium Format Mola Ram is pretty realistic.

And if you're into exclusive skateboard art, they only made 30 of these Sleestaks. My friend Chris got this one signed. I think it was like $60 or $70?

San diego convention center

Next door to the convention is the Marriott and much like the TRON experience, some companies have taken their exhibits outside of the convention. Hasbro took over Discovery Kids Channel (I think) and created their own network that will launch this fall called THE HUB. This is in a ballroom and offers you a neat experience with some cool freebies.

The Fraggle Rock design studio is here and you can learn more about this old show.

Red!

Over on the right, you can join Cobra! Brand42's TR has more shots of this and an example of your free badge.

Over on the left, you can take a picture with Optimus Prime. A photographer takes your picture and you can download it online for free.

In the center was a wheel to spin for prizes like G.I.Joe or Transformer T-Shirts, mini board games, etc. I don't remember what I won because it sucked.

More Thursday comic-con to come.

• Disneyland Enthusiasts

we were also at Flynn's Arcade on Friday night. sorry we missed you. we were the couple with SyFy bags, wearing the badges on red lanyards.

btw - we couldn't be the only ones thinking... "Really? We're getting kicked out of Flynn's for MySpace?"
    http://findingmickey.com
    the hidden mickeys and details of disneyland resort

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

Dusty, the action figure sculptors are certainly capable of delivering very realistic facial likenesses. For high end collectibles it's to be expected. However for lower end mass retail toys, the manufacturers use many ways to nickel and dime us. Taking Han Solo as an example, Hasbro gave us an outstanding version of him a few years back but each subsequent Han figure since then has been less movie accurate.

CB, those prizes from the Hub Wheel really sucked. I looked behind the wheel where they were storing the prizes and didn't even want to bother getting in line. Maybe next year their display will have more to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast