• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Pixar's 25 Years of Animation Trip Report

For the first time in 4 years, Pixar’s 25 Years of Animation is back in the United States. The event started in December 2005 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, but then it was only 20 Years of Animation. Since then, the show has gone on to London, Tokyo, Melbourne, and many other places, and has grown with each new short and movie Pixar releases. The exhibit now features hundreds of pieces of artwork (paintings, sketches, backgrounds, watercolors, models, etc) from all of Pixar’s shorts and feature length films from 1982’s ‘Andre and Wally’, to 2010’s ‘Toy Story 3’. I highly encourage anyone who likes Pixar’s movies and animation to come see it before it goes away in January.

But first.. Some shots of the Oakland Museum:

Yep, That's Sully from Monsters Inc.

The museum grows all thier own vegetables for thier restuarant.

A Random piece of art

The museum's garden pool which is filled with...

KOI

The Museum lets you into the exhibit in groups of 50 every 15 minutes from 11am – 5pm (Approx 1,600 people per day). While waiting, feel free to go next door to the Oakland Museum’s Gift Shop and the large selection of Pixar merchandise.

I loved the wall!

Some close ups of the wall..

When you time is called, they take your ticket and you enter the doors to come face to face with a model of Luxo Jr. with the star ball. Over the model is written on the wall “Computers don’t create computer animation any more than a pencil creates pencil animation. What creates computer animation are artists. – John Lasseter’.

To the right of the wall, the tour begins with early drawings and computer renderings of the bee from ‘Andre and Wally’, followed by a projection on the wall of various geometric shapes done in ‘Renderman’ which morph into various Pixar character. Then you are presented with a timeline of Pixar’s achievements, and then you enter the first room which is dedicated to Toy Story. The first thing that catches your eye, is an enormous storyboard for Toy Story 3. That’s how up to date this exhibit is.

There are a total of 7 rooms in the exhibit. After Toy Story is Monsters Inc, followed by The Incredibles (which shares a room with Cars and Finding Nemo), Ratatouille (which shares its room with Bugs Life, Wall-E, and Up). After that you will enter into a huge room that’s filled with storyboards, colorscripts, drawings, and everything else that they could not fit into the first few rooms, including stuff from Pixar’s shorts. In the back of this room are 2 smaller rooms that are easy to miss, but you have to see.

The first is a room called ‘Believability’. It’s a computer generated animation show that shows various storyboards from Pixar’s films, but as you are watching the color drawings on the storyboards, things happen on them. For example, you will be looking at a background drawing of Radiator Springs from the top of the hills, but as you watch, you can see the cars moving on the interstate in the distance. Then suddenly you will hear the roar of an engine and Lightning McQueen will suddenly race across the screen and onto the next storyboard drawing. For Up, you will hear the wind whistling around you as you watch a drawing of Carl and Ellie’s house floating by, then the screen pans to the right and you see dark clouds coming, followed by flashes of lightning and the sound of thunder. The sound effects in this room are loud (I think it’s a THX sound system in there) so if loud noises bother you, you might want to bring earplugs.

The last room is something you can’t miss (unless you are bothered by flashing strobe lights). It features an early form of cinematography called ‘Zoetrope’. I’m not going to say what all happens on it (I’d like to be a surprise), but the effect is something you have to see.

As with any museum, you aren’t allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit, however, the Oakland Museum has a book which shows some of the pieces that are in the exhibit. Here's an example of some of the stuff that's being featured:

An early Lotso

An early Buzz

An early Woody

Flik

A model of Remi

A model of Violet

This is the Zoetrope I was mentioning earlier. What you can't see on it is Woody riding a bucking Bullseye and Wheezy playing on a see saw with an alien.
    Last edited by OogieBoogie; 08-02-2010 at 06:37 PM.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Re: Pixar's 25 Years of Animation Trip Report

Thanks for sharing!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 10.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I really didn't want to go to Oakland ever again but for this I might have to. When does it close?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I really didn't want to go to Oakland ever again but for this I might have to. When does it close?
    It closes January 9th.

That looks really neat! Once again....too bad I live in the middle of the U.S. and can't get to California. But thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing some of those scans.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Pix added.

Thanks for the Pixar exhibit report!

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Thank you for the report. I'm feeling a trip to Oakland.

If you go to Oakland for this, you should also definitely go to Fenton's... If you saw UP it's the ice cream shop at the end where Russell and Mr. F are eating ice cream. I highly recommend the CCAC flavor, one of the best ice creams ever. And also their toasted almond tastes very much like amaretto ice cream.

• mountains beyond mtns.

For some reason, half of the photos aren't loading completely for me. The ones that do load are great so thanks for sharing about your trip.

Another of the Zoetropes can be found in DCA's Animation Building, btw.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
    If you go to Oakland for this, you should also definitely go to Fenton's... If you saw UP it's the ice cream shop at the end where Russell and Mr. F are eating ice cream. I highly recommend the CCAC flavor, one of the best ice creams ever. And also their toasted almond tastes very much like amaretto ice cream.
    I live just a few blocks from Fentons. They have a bunch of UP memorabilia on display there.

Another item in the movie which is related to Oakland is Merritt Bakery's Hamburger Cake. If you look on Russell's sash, the cake is shown as a 'Merit' badge.