• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Photo-filled Cedar Point trip report

My wife and I and a couple of friends visited Cedar Point for a day trip in June of this year. Here are a bunch of pictures and a few comments about the day.

We got their just shortly after park opening and made the long, long trek to the back of the park to hit the Maverick first thing, then work out way forward.

On our way, we buzzed through Frontier Trail, one of the more themed-areas of the increasingly theme-free park. Here's Fort sandusky and its canon.

One of the park's trains (or is there only one? I don't know), not yet starting its rounds for the day.

Toot Sweets, serving you sweets and puns.

The Maverick is a pretty great coaster. It's low to the ground, but fast-moving and full of twists, turns, and surprises.

Next it was over to the old mine ride, which I could've sworn used to have more themeing to it, but I may be confusing it with Disney's Big Thunder Mountain. Didn't there used to be a few skeletons around? Some mining signs?

Christa and Amy excitedly wait the big thrills waiting over the first lift...

Wheeeee.... wait, it's just a little dip? Oh.

Unlike all of its dark rides, flumes, and other assorted whimsy, the Shooting Gallery has not yet been replaced by a thrill ride. Probably because there isn't really room.

Picking out my next target.

Next, over to a true Cedar Point classic, the Gemini! For those of you who don't know the park, the Gemini is a coaster with two (mostly) parrallel tracks that two cars race on. When we first got in line, only the blue car was running, which spoils much of the fun of the attraction, but by the time it was our turn, the red car had been brough online. Christa and Caroline hopped in blue while Amy and I favored Red. OK, Let's race...

Blue is off to an early lead, but there's usually a few changes along the way. We can still catch them, right?

Or maybe not. Here Christa and Caroline taunt us from their winning vehicle, already on the opposite side of the big turn-around from us. We were never even close to catching them!

A Midday rain exposed one of Cedar Point's big problems: bad weather shuts almost everything down. What about the no-thrills Paddlewheel excursions? Shut down. Surely the INDOOR roller coaster, Disaster Transport must be running? Nope - apparently the ceiling leaks. Shut down! We had just eaten before the rain began. After the shooting gallery and a little skee-ball, there was nothing to do but wait.

With no actual park offerings available, amy opts to make her own fun in a huge puddle that formed during the brief downpour.

I think maybe we have a drainage issue here.

OK, just one more since I think the splashes came out neat in the pcitures.

The silver lining to these clouds of grey? Snoopy gets extra adorable in his rain slicker and hat.

With nothing else to do, we take in the Peanuts kiddie dance show.

Linus gives Lucy's danincg a thumbs-down. No one disagrees. Snoopy looks on in a sparkleriffic vest.

After the show, there were meet and greets with the cast. I hate to rip on Cedar Point too much for not being Disney, but man I had a new respect for the training and effort put on by Disney's chacters after meting the tired and almost motionless Peanuts gang. Nice costumes, though.

Caroline and Lucy get tough.

Hi, Linus. I was you in a play once about a thousand years ago.

Apparently, kids can leave Snoopy letters in his mailbox. Cute!

Here's the World War I Flying Ace enjoying his day at America's Rock and Roller Coast. I wonder if Snoopy ever does meet and greets in this outfit. That would be great.

Decoration on one of the Camp Snoopy kiddie rides.

Caroline fills in for Lucy when nobody is looking.

Finally, the rain had let up for long enough and the storm clouds moved away, allowing the rides to get moving again! Keep reading below, we've got more rides in part two of the report!

• Shablagoo!

Re: Photo-filled Cedar Point trip report

Hooray for Cedar Point reports.

Part II:

With the rain finally having let up, we hit Cedar Points two biggest thrills back to back (also the two that don't have convenient bins to store your belongings in, but instead force you to pay for locker, effectively making these pay-to-ride attractions for at least the majority of the ladies). First, the insane Top Thrill Dragster, the only ride I have ever been afraid to experience as an adult (though after that first time, I now find it a big rush. Mostly), and the Millenium Force.

A redwinged blackbird checks out the park but declines waiting in line for a thrill ride. After all, it can already fly anytime it feels like it.

Next it was time to stop: hammer time.

Is that what my determined face looks like? I don't think it's quite what I intended. Not Pleasant.

The hammer strikes! Did I win?

VICTORY! I AM THE MIGHTY THOR! FEAR MY HAMMER!

Christa with her prize monkey (and holding her prize chimp - BA DUM DUM!)

Time for Cedar Point's attempt at an indoor coaster: Disaster Transport. What a dump this place is. I know it looks like a warehouse, but it's supposed to be a space port. Did you know space smells like rotten fish? I had no idea. A park-worker overheard me making that remark and snidely replied, "it's because we're by the lake." OK, then why doesn't it smell like that outside?

Well, it is a disaster, and you do move around, so I guess it's pretty aptly named.

They did try a little bit in the queue. I'll give them a couple of points for this little blacklit scene of a ride vehicle being worked on by droids (cough-Star Tours-cough). I do enjoy black lights.

The launch area is honestly not terrible either, but it's all downhill from there, and I'm not just talking literally. It's so ghetto Space Mountain that's not even funny.

Cedar Point's speedy carousel, the Steeplechase. Old timey fun. And they're off!

This suspended coaster, The Raptor, is probably my favorite ride at Cedar Point. It's just really fun. Wait for the front row, it's worth it.

Um, Caroline, you know that's not actually the ride, right?

Here I am, being a Raptor I guess? I'd like to point out that my hair does not normally look like this. This is what happens to me after being caught in a rainstorm and then going on roller coasters. I look like a balding Huey Lewis.

While we were waiting in line for the Millenium Force, the ride operator asked everyone in line what they're favorite ride was. Lying, I yelled out "Paddlewheel Excursions!" to which everyone said, "what is that?"

Um, only Cedar Point's hilarious riverboat adventure through Hillbilly country is what! It's like Disneyland's Jungle Cruise mixed with Deliverence. Let's go!

Our skipp - uh, I mean "Captain" was pretty funny. About half of his jokes were about how much trouble Cedar Point was getting it's newest attraction, Shoot the Rapids, up and running.

Apparently management is not too strict about these guys staying on script. Good.

A scene that inspired a million fish-related puns that I don't remember.

The Cedar Point Coliseum, originally built in 1906. Once upon a time, this WAS Cedar Point. It's stayed all along from dance hall to skating rink to arcade.

A lovely little creek. See, who says Cedar Point only cares about thrills and nothing about themeing or landscaping anymore? Oh, that was me? Well, OK, I take it back. They only mostly care about thrills anymore.

A visit to Cedar Point is not complete if you don't buy a box of delicious Salt Water Taffy on the way out. Still tastes the same as it did when I was a kid.

We hit the classic Corkscrew and the Magnum and then stopped in at Johnny Rockets for a terrible burger, terrible service, wonderful air-conditioning, and delicious shakes.

For our final ride of the day, we hit the good old Ferris Wheel, which took approximately 45 minutes. Wow, what a time sucker! Sadly, the sky buckets were only coming online as we were leaving, and we didn't get to enjoy those old simple favorites.

I've been pretty spoiled by Disney parks in my adulthood and bemoan the fact that Cedar Point has largely turned its back on variety and attractions that are fun for the whole family like it had when I was a kid, but on the whole it was still a pretty fun day and the coasters, of course, are top knotch.

Another thing I forget about when comparing a day at CP to any Disney park is that it's much more exhausting. Caroline and I were trying to figure out why. For one, the rides are all pretty quick. There are no long indoor sit-downs like Pirates, small world, Haunted Mansion, etc. As a result, you're standing a lot more. Also, all of that standing is being done in the hot sun. No cool interior queues. Plus, the park is really old and evolved on an island rather than being designed from scratch. As a result, it's really long and thin, requiring long walks.

We had a good time. It's a fun way to spend the day. I might even go back to check out Halloweekends in October, but I'm not buying an annual pass anytime soon.

• Do You know?

I have always wanted to check it out, so thanks for the report.

That smell in the ride would have made me loose it. The lack of anything to do when it rains is a really, really bad show. It is not 100% sunshine all year anywhere what were they thinking?

• we jumped out a window

Thank you for that great and honest trip report.

I would love to visit CP one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1978 View Post
    I have always wanted to check it out, so thanks for the report.

That smell in the ride would have made me loose it. The lack of anything to do when it rains is a really, really bad show. It is not 100% sunshine all year anywhere what were they thinking?
    It really is a major failing. Yet another reason for me to bemoan the loss of the dark rides (not that there were ever a lot of them). The arcade is still there, but that doesn't hold my interest like it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Thank you for that great and honest trip report.

I would love to visit CP one day.
    You're welcome. For pure roller coaster rush, it can't be beat!

Northwest Ohio, about 45minutes from Cedar Point

Sorry you got rained on- we just look on it as 100% humidity. There are four indoor theatres at CP with live shows, including the Peanuts on Ice show, so there are a few places to be entertained and stay dry. Yea, CP is a lot of walking, but if the weather is not too windy you can take the Sky Ride from the front gate to close to the Train, then take the train to the back of the park. Lots of people park in the Soak City lot, then come in the back entrance, next to Millenium Force. You are more centrally located and closer to the big coasters in the back of the park (Maverick, Gemini, Top Thrill). Cedar Point was not planned, but evolved, and is long and stretched out, but I can't think of another park on the planet with a more beautiful location, nearly completely surrounded by water and the Lake Erie Islands.
    I've been going to Cedar Point multiple times each year since 1965, and I've seen the change from a family-oriented park to a thrill-park, but there is still plenty for a family to do that does not involve 400 foot tall coasters. My kids, 15 and 11, still have to visit Camp Snoopy at least once during each visit, and my wife with MS always finds lots of attractions that she can ride and enjoy. It is worth the trip to the North Coast. Don't expect Disney theming- that is not what CP is really about. It is a huge, old-fashioned amusement park with lots of 21st century attractions, a pretty good water park, and the most unique location of any park in the country. Come on up!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'm glad you had a great time, Clockworkmonkey. My kids and I have gone for the past three years in a row, and we LOVE going there each year. This year, we didn't get to go until almost August, and we've never seen it so crowded. We love the Raptor, which is SO much better than Silver Bullet at Knotts or Batman at any of the Six Flags. There's just something about that view before you head down that first hill. Gemini is also one of our favorites as well.

The longest line in the park always seems to be for Maverick, which has a ridiculously long load time for each vehicle. It seems like almost a full minute for each train to take off from the station, and each train only holds about 10-12 people, if that. But we finally decided to make Maverick our last ride of the day, and we were not disappointed. That ride is TERRIFYING in the dark. We all promptly lost our minds and then laughed about it on the way back to the car. Riding that thing in the dark is highly recommended.

I would echo what James said above. This park is in a stunning location and you get panoramic views on almost every roller coaster in the park. Millennium Force probably has the best view. I remember being in awe of how high I was last year before plummeting back to the earth while wondering if that view was worth dying over. I've only been on that thing once.

We love Cedar Point, and we can't wait to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGillies View Post
    Sorry you got rained on- we just look on it as 100% humidity. There are four indoor theatres at CP with live shows, including the Peanuts on Ice show, so there are a few places to be entertained and stay dry. Yea, CP is a lot of walking, but if the weather is not too windy you can take the Sky Ride from the front gate to close to the Train, then take the train to the back of the park. Lots of people park in the Soak City lot, then come in the back entrance, next to Millenium Force. You are more centrally located and closer to the big coasters in the back of the park (Maverick, Gemini, Top Thrill). Cedar Point was not planned, but evolved, and is long and stretched out, but I can't think of another park on the planet with a more beautiful location, nearly completely surrounded by water and the Lake Erie Islands.
    I've been going to Cedar Point multiple times each year since 1965, and I've seen the change from a family-oriented park to a thrill-park, but there is still plenty for a family to do that does not involve 400 foot tall coasters. My kids, 15 and 11, still have to visit Camp Snoopy at least once during each visit, and my wife with MS always finds lots of attractions that she can ride and enjoy. It is worth the trip to the North Coast. Don't expect Disney theming- that is not what CP is really about. It is a huge, old-fashioned amusement park with lots of 21st century attractions, a pretty good water park, and the most unique location of any park in the country. Come on up!
    You make some great points, and I'm sure I'm not being entirely fair. This time around I really did try to concentrate more on enjoying what was there versus what's been lost (though I doubt I'll ever be able to visit CP without at least one moment of consternation over the loss of The Pirate Ride).

We went on a Wednesday, not knowing that was the one day the Peanuts Ice Show is not performed, and the Sky Ride only came online very late in the day, just as we were leaving. I wish we hade made time for the train, as I love the skeletons and burning buildings. Those are the main reasons I might have to make a return trip for Halloweekeneds.

The location is wonderful. My thoughts on that were less of a complaint than just trying to figure out why I was finding a day at Cedar Point much more physically exhausting than a day at a Disney park. You're definitely right about those amazing views from the coasters, ferris wheel, space needle, etc.

• Now with 5% more insanity

Disaster Transport really does make me sad. I wish I could get my hands on a large budget and that roller coaster, just because I have a feeling it will be torn down soon. It's one of the few bobsled coasters left, and I feel like that's a really unique experience.

Also, Gemini is probably one of my favorite coasters! I probably rode it 7 times on my last visit, and the people running the ride were a blast to talk to. They even let us get away with high fiving the passengers on the red train during the first curve before the first drop. I hope that coaster never gets torn down!