Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: The Truth About "Australia's Favourite Themeparks Attractions & Resort"

Love the trip report, please keep it up... plase post reports about the other parks.

• no flash photography...

I have been to Disneyland when shops and restaurants have not been open yet. Also the same happened at universal Hollywood. when we got there at opening. Universal's remained closed for a longer period of time though.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

I was back at Movieworld briefly today.

Since last week, Shrek has been ousted from the park.

No more store. No more attraction. No more photo spots. No more character meet n greets.

Shrek 4D has come to a close.

The Roxy Theatre in darkness.

I was initially impressed with the idea that they were looking into multiple 3D/4D films to screen at the Roxy Theatre -- until I learned that they would be themed to Walden Media's Journey to the Center of the Earth. Just another overseas themepark import coming to Movieworld.

Also worthy of a note; this year Movieworld again is attempting to step up the notch on their Halloween event, Fright Nights. I remember making the recommendation back in 2008 that the event needed some quality themed mazes. I'll admit that last week I was weary of the idea that Movieworld was trying to replication the success of Universal's Halloween Horror Nights with the addition of a 'Saw' and 'Nightmare on Elm Street' themed mazes.

However, on a positive note for Australian parks, they are outsourcing the construction/design to Sudden Impact; their site seems to have some examples of some quality work.

With under a month until the night time events begin, construction has begun on a maze back of house.

Cant see much from here.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

Very interesting trip report(s)! Looking forward to more!
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Again keep it up! I love seeing parks on different continents.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    i honestly have no idea why Disney dos not build a park in Australia. i always thought it was kind of idiotic to have no park what so ever bellow the south of the equator.
    great trip report man!
    Australia's population is 22 million. With 5 of that 22 .... in the Sydney area ... a 10-11 hour drive to the south.

Where's in Disneyland in Anaheim ... the area is 17 million .. with a nation of over 300 million.

So just as Ry86an said .. it comes down to what the population can support.

Just west of Sydney was a park called Wonderland (think Magic Mountain) opened in 1985 ... many factors .. but mainly the lack of population could not support it .. and in 2004 .. closed for good.

Now .. of all days .. I just read yesterday that the site will be one of the largest water parks in the world .. set to open in 2013.

And thanks so much for this trip report .... when I do go up to Queensland ... and go to some of the local fun .. I'll approach this place with caution. If it's just going to be a sea of "closed" signs everywhere I walk!

And about the price. I've worked out where a US dollar measures up to a AU dollar. From everywhere I go ... what's 10 dollars in the US .. is 20 in Australia. What's 50 dollars in the US .. is 100 in AU. Etc. A job that would pay 10 an hour in the states ... pays 20 an hour in AU. So .... when you measure up both AU's economy to ours ..... theoretically speaking that $74 dollar price tag come out to half that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    And about the price. I've worked out where a US dollar measures up to a AU dollar. From everywhere I go ... what's 10 dollars in the US .. is 20 in Australia. What's 50 dollars in the US .. is 100 in AU. Etc. A job that would pay 10 an hour in the states ... pays 20 an hour in AU. So .... when you measure up both AU's economy to ours ..... theoretically speaking that $74 dollar price tag come out to half that.
    XE: (AUD/USD) Australia Dollars to United States Dollars Rate

Currently the AU dollar is trading at 1 AU$ = .93 US$ So the ticket price would be $68.90 US

To be fair to Movie World, you've visited on an overcast weekday during the off season. Yes Disneyland doesn't close shops or rides for half the day but they also get ten times the attendance.

I went on Sunday just gone, Wild West Falls was running and the River Ride was closed for maintenance instead. The park was packed and many of the shops shown here closed were open much earlier in the day.

I could have very much created my own trip report showing a more vibrant and well attended park, with shots of Superman, Lethal Weapon and Wild West Falls.

And what was conveniently cut out of the price list photo is the $99 annual pass offer with unlimited entry and no blackout periods.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by westical View Post
    I could have very much created my own trip report showing a more vibrant and well attended park, with shots of Superman, Lethal Weapon and Wild West Falls.
    So do it.

I'm still working on my time machine.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

See, never hearing many reports on the Australian parks, it was great to see an in-depth look at the park. It is too bad that the park really seems to fall apart once you stop viewing it from afar, too bad too, it looked like a fun little place.
    "Poles in front of Doorways"
    This I think is the best thing I have ever read on this site.

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

wow! Im amazed they can legally make money off a park like that
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreams714 View Post
    wow! Im amazed they can legally make money off a park like that
    It doesn't look like that every day.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Back at MW today. Pleased to report that since its now local School Holiday period, all rides are open; running multiple coaster trains, most shops are open in a timely fashion.

The Shrek 4D replacement has opened in the Roxy Theatre; "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - The 4D Adventure"

It is a carbon copy USA attraction, with minimal venue theming.

The entrance hall features a large T-Rex promotional still, the waiting room has a mural painted to represent an underground cavern, and has large mushrooms positioned in the corners.

The main theatre, has no theming. The staff are obviously still in the transition stage of learning the new scripts -- on the particular viewing I just saw, the CM still referred to the show as Shrek 4D, a tongue slip that attacted a room full of laughter.

The film itself is a really poor attraction. For anyone who saw the underperforming feature film, the 4D Adventure is a simply montage of key sequeneces arranged in an abridged summary of the feature's storyline.

Movieworld continues its lead up to its Halloween Fright Nights (as many parks overseas, kick off the events this week)

Looks like Rob Zombies House of 1000's Corpses at USH wont be the only 3D maze in 2010. MW have listed "Psycho 3D Maze"

Im keen to see the professionally outsourced mazes based on Saw and Nightmare on Elm Street. The other listings are more of the usual from previous years -- some live shows and the returning Motocross overlay for the Hollywood Stunt Driver arena.

Westical has brought up some good points in commenting in the thread.
    MyFun offers a $99 annual pass to 3 properties on the Gold Coast. Obviously the more you use the pass the better the value. Although if you dont live locally, you cannot purchase this pass so to tourists you are stuck paying $79 daily, with the option to pay the additional $19.95 for a second day upgrade -- missing out on the annual pass (which includes 2 other parks) by a matter of cents.

The park does look good in sunshine -- although that roof still obstructs the sunshine.

The park does look good with guests, as it did today with plenty of local students on holiday. But as Disney understands, a guests experience on a slow, quiet offseason day is just as important as those guests who visit in peak periods. With fixed admission prices there is no justifying different standards.

The park doesnt look bad everyday; in fact since posting the first post, most issues raised have been addressed (in such a fashion that I suspect management has been made aware of certain incriminating photos -- which is exactly the point of reports such as this. Presenting guests with these park conditions is bad publicity because of modern day media, photography and the internet!) To simplify the point, management should be embarrassed to put guests in such a position as to take photos like this.
    Last edited by rya86n; 09-25-2010 at 11:56 PM.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

Quote Originally Posted by rya86n View Post
    MyFun offers a $99 annual pass to 3 properties on the Gold Coast. Obviously the more you use the pass the better the value. Although if you dont live locally, you cannot purchase this pass so to tourists you are stuck paying $79 daily, with the option to pay the additional $19.95 for a second day upgrade -- missing out on the annual pass (which includes 2 other parks) by a matter of cents.
    True, but they have at least removed the Queensland residents only rule so all domestic tourists can now take advantage of an annual pass if they like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast