Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Re: The Truth About "Australia's Favourite Themeparks Attractions & Resort"

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Now .. of all days .. I just read yesterday that the site will be one of the largest water parks in the world .. set to open in 2013.
    The new waterpark will be a sister park to the ones mentioned already in this trip report. Wet'n'Wild is only metres down the road from Movieworld. Warner Village Themeparks has also purchased parks and rebranded them with the Wet'n'Wild label in Hawaii and Phoenix.

The new Wet'n'Wild Sydney is being built on land near Sydney after current residents have been given their marching orders to vacate.
    The planned park as you say is very large. It is located in an underperforming themepark site, in a colder climate to the existing, successful, year round water park on the Gold Coast.

It is a weird decision from the company, as it will attract southern tourists to the new park, and reduce tourists travelling North to the existing park.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by rya86n View Post
    as it will attract southern tourists to the new park, and reduce tourists travelling North to the existing park.
    It will yes, some from the Sydney region will no longer travel to the Gold Coast for the parks.

But a good feasibility study could have shown the amount of NEW tourists they will get to the new park in Sydney that refused to travel to the gold coast.

And how long of a drive is it from Sydney to the Gold Coast? Is it a "day trip" for Sydney residents? If not, this new waterpark might not cannibalize Gold Coast attendance at all as the locals will still hit this park AND make their trip up to the Gold Coast for a longer stay.

I actually think this is a good investment for a fairly untapped region.

It's a ten hour drive.

• Disney Down Under

Australia - 7458 Miles Away From Disneyland :(

Being to the Gold Coast theme parks almost every year since ive been little i really didnt notice the bad parts in theming etc until making my first trip to Disneyland in 2000 and that idea was back up on my second trip in 2008,

But you have to admit the $99 pass which gives you entry to 3 theme parks for a year is a great saving

The problem with Movie World, is that its a movie based park but with such a low profit and budget that it cant afford the rights to most movie based things, thus the removal of Shrek as the most recent.

Since they removed Police Academy, I have had no real urge to go to the park, i use to watch that everytime it was played, it was one of the only things they had to rival overseas parks, but since the removal of that and it being replaced by a cliche "Watch us make a movie stunt show" instead of the actual hilarious story of Police Academy i've just gone to Dreamworld, More rides, better value
    -Luke

You should have went inside the Batman ride I wanted to see the animatronic!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CazzaCarroll View Post

Since they removed Police Academy, I have had no real urge to go to the park, i use to watch that everytime it was played, it was one of the only things they had to rival overseas parks, but since the removal of that and it being replaced by a cliche "Watch us make a movie stunt show" instead of the actual hilarious story of Police Academy i've just gone to Dreamworld, More rides, better value
    Very true. Police Acadamy had such broad appeal, whether you knew the films or not. It was such a great show, worthy of repeat visits. Unlike HSD.

YouTube - Police Academy Stunt Show (pt.1)- Warner Bros. Movie World, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
    You should have went inside the Batman ride I wanted to see the animatronic!
    keep an eye on this thread (and the weekend updates). When I get some time, i plan on doing a weekly submission probably based on one ride each week across all the Gold Coast parks.

But a word of warning, on last look, the poor old Batman animatronic was a sad unworking sight.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

Very true. Police Acadamy had such broad appeal, whether you knew the films or not. It was such a great show, worthy of repeat visits. Unlike HSD.

YouTube - Police Academy Stunt Show (pt.1)- Warner Bros. Movie World, 2001

keep an eye on this thread (and the weekend updates). When I get some time, i plan on doing a weekly submission probably based on one ride each week across all the Gold Coast parks.

But a word of warning, on last look, the poor old Batman animatronic was a sad unworking sight.
    I've read that its been stationary for quiet awhile, I just have an obsession with animatronics in general.

Also that Police Academy looked quiet good, dare I say better than all the sequels after the 3rd movie?!

• Disney Down Under

Australia - 7458 Miles Away From Disneyland :(

Also that Police Academy looked quiet good, dare I say better than all the sequels after the 3rd movie?!
    Better then all the movies i'd say,

You'd go back and watch it and still at the start forget that guy was a plant and the laughs just flowed,

Did they ever put a replacement for Mad Mike in HSD, you'd go 1/2 hour early just to watch him warm up the crowd
    -Luke

• MiceChat Moderator

I've read that its been stationary for quiet awhile, I just have an obsession with animatronics in general.

After posting this morning I was inspired to go down to the park and ride Batman The Ride 2.

Turns out the animatronic does move slightly. His head flicks slightly left and right as he talks to the screen. Although no longer turns to face the audience, nor show any facial features.

Photos are not permitted in that section of the Batcave. I do have some of Wayne Manor, the Library and entrance cave, but havent uploaded them. It was a miserable rainy day, they arent the best shots to show off.

Quote Originally Posted by CazzaCarroll View Post
    Better then all the movies i'd say,

You'd go back and watch it and still at the start forget that guy was a plant and the laughs just flowed,

Did they ever put a replacement for Mad Mike in HSD, you'd go 1/2 hour early just to watch him warm up the crowd
    Unfortunately, there is no replacement for MadMike in HSD. However, they have improved the preshow slightly by incorporating the filmed audience antics into the scene playback during the show.

I hope to do a Police Academy update in the future.

1. Disneyland 1997;

After posting this morning I was inspired to go down to the park and ride Batman The Ride 2.

Turns out the animatronic does move slightly. His head flicks slightly left and right as he talks to the screen. Although no longer turns to face the audience, nor show any facial features.

Photos are not permitted in that section of the Batcave. I do have some of Wayne Manor, the Library and entrance cave, but havent uploaded them. It was a miserable rainy day, they arent the best shots to show off.
    I'd be happy for anything, not many pictures of the ride or attraction itself on the net. Only thing I've managed is a really small pic of the cave and some sculpts of the animatronic. Ride is on YouTube though.

Only good pictures of the inside...
    http://image44.webshots.com/45/2/88/...8tsiPNc_fs.jpg

Last edited by Trekkie313; 10-03-2010 at 10:03 AM.

The problem with this thread is that its be twisted to make everything look a certain way. There is no doubt Movie World has some problems. But the fundamental flaw in this thread is that your comparing 2 VERY different markets and VERY different parks.

First Movie World is a small park with only 17 attractions (compared to Disneylands 50+) that is very seasonal and is in an area with a much, much smaller population than the LA/Southern California area. The Gold Coast attracts much fewer tourists than Socal and many people will visit Socal with Disneyland as the main reason to come at all. Being that Movie World is so small, many locals have very little reason to visit many times a year. Being that tourism is the driving force behind a park like Movie World and being that most tourists don't come to the Gold Coast in winter/mid year the park is going to have to close shops and attractions down to stay open. Its simple, if the parks were packed all year around then everything would be open. If you were to take your pictures again in summer on the weekend you will find the park packed and most things open and most attractions open all day.

Its easy to take photos in the off season and say how bad everything is. I could take photos of Disneyland when the refurb of Rivers Of America happened this year and walls were up around shops being rebuilt and then go to DCA with all its walls and say "dont come here, what a mess". Its called off season and ours is much quieter than Disneylands or Universals, hence our parks almost shut down.

I wont doubt for one minute that Ticket prices at Movie World are way over priced. I think they need seasonal pricing at around $40 for an adult in winter and I dont think $65 would be off the mark in Summer. We have the VIP passes for locals to try bring us in all year around and at $99 for 3 parks is exceptional value.

Maybe the park could be shut in the off-season like Canada's Wonderland which is a massively successful park which closes during winter.

You have also made it out that Warner Village Theme Parks dont to anything for guests and are only out to make money. I disagree. No doubt they want to make money, they are a business after all. But you have failed to mention Wet N Wild the water park next door to Movie World that has just gotten some great new slides and is always getting new attractions and is now the 3rd biggest water park in the world. The place is great value for money. Also Sea World has just had a fantastically themed Castaway Bay opened, is adding "Penguin Encounter" and a new Happy Feet 3d movie. This is all to come for summer. With 2 of their 3 major Gold Coast parks having construction going on it is only a good thing as we are getting new attractions. I don't doubt Movie World will be next for a new attraction after Sea World and Wet N Wilds new attractions are finished. So yes Warner Village are interested in trying to make parks better. We cant all have the Disney touch of attention to detail. Its what makes Disney "Disney" and why people travel for around the world. They set a bench mark that no one can match and if anyone did they would just take it up another level.

When you look at Universal studios Hollywood and Move World there is no doubt the obvious comparisons. Both movie related and both small. But again how can you compare markets and attendance figures? Movie World simply cant match USH and build such amazing attractions. They just dont have the money or volume of guests to justify it.

I could go on and on. If you want to call this thread "The Truth About "Australia's Favorite Theme parks Attractions & Resort" then you need to give the whole story, not just your admittedly "jaded" view of things and call it fact. You simply cant compare Gold Coast theme Park offerings to Disneyland, other Disney parks or Universals offerings with One Thousand times the visitors and money to back them. Its just not fair . The Gold Coast is a great place to visit for anyone from around the world and the theme parks here are what they are. A compliment to a great city. The fact we have 5 theme parks (Movie World, Sea World, Wet N Wild, Dreamworld and White Water World for those counting) in such a small market alone is very amazing. Plus a host of other attractions.

Again I don't doubt the problems the parks here in Australia have, there are many and I not saying they don't exist. I am just showing others there is always 2 sides to the story.
    Last edited by BrizMarc; 10-03-2010 at 10:57 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator

I'd be happy for anything, not many pictures of the ride or attraction itself on the net.
    Try this: YouTube - Batman Adventure: The Ride 2 Film

1. Disneyland 1997;

So how are the pictures coming?

I think BrizMarc has summarised it beautifully and was what I was trying to get across.

Just wanted to throw it out there that this years mazes and the front entrance have all been built in house by Movieworlds own Carpenters, Painters, Lighting Technicians and most of all Sculpters. I think you will be very pleasantly impressed with the quality of the work over what you've seen previously.
    I think its mostly these poeople NOT being utilised in the past rather than the other way around.
    On that note (and I've been to HHN and Haunt and am the biggest critic) I think everyone will be SHOCKED and impressed with this year's halloween offering, walking around the park tonight I am getting very excited.

I think the parks dark days are behind it.
    IMO the roof adds just as much as it ditracts from the park, just depends how you look at it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast