Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Re: The Truth About "Australia's Favourite Themeparks Attractions & Resort"

The Saw Maze and Nightmare on Elm Street Maze were outsourced to Sudden Impact! headed up by Lynton V. Harris.

These mazes were a huge improvement on previous years. However they were only comparable to other Sudden Impact! constructions in Australia like The Mummy and Tomb Raider attractions previously found at Dreamworld.

The detail and scare quality in the Saw maze at USH is still far above it. I am well aware of the reasons for quality difference between the two parks/continents/target markets -- but having experienced mazes (of the same cinematic themes) that were of higher quality and scare factor raised my expectations beyond what Movieworld could deliver.

That being said, they are clearly moving in the right direction with the Halloween events. Tim Fishers influence on the parks is starting to show. It was good to see him (as well as maze creator Lynton Harris) amongst the guests tonight.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

i do see where your coming from here, but if no one else has noticed but-you went during down time , a week or 2 before the QLD/NSW holidays... so of course A. theres noone there and B. the place looks like crap.

and although yes it would be good to have a disney down here, but what purpose would it solve? the only time ANY park down here has gotten anywhere near its capacity was dreamworld a few years ago when pamela anderson was going into the big brother house for a bit. go back in peak season like the summer holidays maybe? the place will be packed but still awsome... also the parks overseas are known for putting in several attractions a year, down under its just 1 a year and a bigger one every 3-4 years and compare sizes? americas parks are bigger then the bruce highway; and you need a week to get through everything down here its made for about a day possibly just a day and a half so sure places are going to slip out without the sure fire amount of money but when they can they explode like with the horror nights but still with this , why are you even trying to compare this to HHN? our HHN's theyre meant for us to know and enjoy NOT to be compared to america...

so STOP COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jjuttup View Post
    so STOP COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to MC; shall I expect a duplicate comment at all the other themepark forums?

Sorry that my expectations are beyond other Aussies.
    In regards to the question of why compare? I am a fan of CV Wood's themepark creations/designs. He was influential in the planning of Disneyland and our very own Movieworld. Hence my comparisons between those two properties (that and this is a primarily US site so it introduces US fans to what we have to experience, good or bad, in Australia)
    It was Woody's original vision that lead to the initial plan for Movieworld to mimic USH as a movie based themepark adjoining a working film studio; similarly, despite coming after his death, this is where the concept for duplicating American Halloween traditions also came from.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

Mate, you need some serious perspective.

Australia has a population of approx 21,000,000.

The USA has a population of approx 307,000,000.

Then add to the neighboring countries ie: Canada, etc.

Do you seriously think that it is economically viable to have a Theme Park as lush and grand a scale as Disneyland?

We are too far away from everyone. Airfares are expensive and the flights take too long...

It would be a dream if we had an AusDisney, but I can see why it hasn't happened yet.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by StarryNight View Post
    Mate, you need some serious perspective.

Australia has a population of approx 21,000,000.

The USA has a population of approx 307,000,000.

Then add to the neighboring countries ie: Canada, etc.

Do you seriously think that it is economically viable to have a Theme Park as lush and grand a scale as Disneyland?

We are too far away from everyone. Airfares are expensive and the flights take too long...

It would be a dream if we had an AusDisney, but I can see why it hasn't happened yet.
    I know this, and have mentioned this many a time, within this thread and across these boards and others. Im a fan of all our themeparks within Australia and those overseas. I know all the positive and appealing aspects of our own parks (all of which are freely and publically advertised on their own websites), so yes there are two sides to every story, and the negatives are the 'other' side not frequently publicised, but often witnessed.

I am aware that similar bad show appears worldwide and at Disney properties too -- in fact it is frequently discussed in forums too. Just because Australia is remote and smaller in population does not make it exempt from such discussions.

I like our parks, but am frustrated by their declining presentation standards. You may not share the same opinion and accept claims that Movieworld in its post 1990's heyday does represent "Australia's Best"

1. Disneyland 1997;

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
    So how are the pictures coming?
    To help quell the "misrepresentation" notion, here's a collection of shots from Movieworld (also taken on an overcast, rainy day) that promote the more visually appealing aspects of the park.

The Fountain of Fame, greeting guests at the entrance plaza, just past the main Movieworld arch since the parks opening in the early 1990's.
    Small celebrity stars, recognising visiting VIP/celebrity guests are embedded in the pavement around the fountain.

Superman: Escape. The highest rated rollercoaster in the Southern Hemisphere -- with good reason. It is a great ride, and one of the first rollercoasters in Australia which invested in preshow theming and story within the showbuilding.

Batwing Spaceshot.

The Chinatown Alley themed entrance plaza to Lethal Weapon. The first local inverted rollercoaster. Still a fun ride, despite showing its age, and maintanence concerns.

The entrace, queue area and first half of the Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster is nicely themed to replicate sets from the first live action Scooby Doo feature film, which was filmed next door at Warner Roadshow Studios.

This is a wonderful facade, located near the Gotham Cafe eatery area, a replica of the film set from Tim Burton's Batman film.

Australia's largest themepark attraction, Wild West Falls; initially named after the Will Smith film Wild Wild West until licensing issues ensued.

1. Disneyland 1997;

Now I'm not going to lie the parks had some very dark days, at one point WVTP with their 3 parks were the shining stars while down the road Ardent Leisure's Dreamworld was very disappointing. Then John Menzies, who for those of you don't know was WVTP CEO from basically from day one all the way back when Sea world started 30 something years, he planted some of those palm trees at the park when all it was, was sand dunes and even use to ski in the show itself, he built that park up to what it was and built world class attraction such as Bermuda Triangle. He was there with C.V Wood as they built Movie World, he was their when they bought Wet'n'wild and he turned it into one of the top ten busiest water parks. He helped with the 2 other Movie World in Europe and has been there when they planned the Safari theme park for Melbourne, as he has a love for animals (as seen with Sea World) he is part of the new proposed WnW Sydney and part of the Hawaii and Phoenix parks and the proposed WnW on the Sunshine Coast (an hour north of the Gold Coast) and when they bought some attractions in Sydney and Melbourne. Every ride built and designed at those parks he has been heavily involved in.
    What I'm saying is he loved these, they were his life, he even use to fly the helicopters for SW on a weekend! But he'd been there for over 30years and decided to step down and now the company is run by an American first thing that went was the ski which for him is where it all began and what the park first started as and cost cutting was heavily brought in.

SW, Bermuda Triangle almost an icon of the Gold Coast with two volcanos spitting fire out of them was built a long time ago when the park was young with not a lot cash behind it and was an amazing effort, even Disney couldn't believe how well it had been done on such a tight budget and stated back in the states it would have cost a lot more. It was one of his knacks he would know what he wanted and outsource different parts to reduce the cost instead of just going with one person. But these days with new management the separate uniforms to the rest of the park are gone and replaced with generic ones, as I understand the gas line for the fire was hit when building Jet Rescue and never replaced, so now no fire and instead red neon lights that rarely work, an effect where a UFO would just disappear has gone as the glass broke and wasn't replaced, projectors don't work, special lighting effects don't work, work lights are left on and often the flood room doesn't work and the pre-show is gone. Sadly this hasn't changed, neither has the horrible Pirate show that replaced the once awe-inspiring ski show, which is what started SW, the train ride has now disappeared and the iconic all white Corkscrew rollercoaster is now bright orange and re-themed Sea Viper which isn't re-theme at all just a new very uncomfortable train which turned a once smooth ride into a bumpy ole' rough thing! But the park is changing its just added a new area called Castaway Bay and if you looked at the photo's on park.com.au (as I don't have any) you would see that's it's an amazing area and its battle sails ride and adventure climb area all fit very well and look great as well as a new animal enclosure Emperor Penguins and to top it off Happy Feet 3D which is good because the last 3D film left a long time ago and management just didn't replace it, so a step forward. Now the park still has huge problems with things being slapped in that are out of place, they just opened a games area which looks worse then DCA's area, but things are changing in the park, it was once the nicest park on the Gold Coast and everything was themed, fit and flowed, it lost its way, and is slowly finding its way back. Also the animals exhibits appear nicer than the American SW as our parks achieve to make the animals enclosure's like their habitat not just a tank! You only have to look at Dolphin Cove to see that and see that they have the more baby dolphins born than any other enclosure in the world. Also the people that say the company is only money and how do they get away really have only been given on side of the story WVTP put a lot towards animal conservation and helping such as the famous dugong named 'Pig' and every time a whale is caught in net SW are the first people out there.

WnW is a good park.... although its biggest problem is it has just become massive and things are kind of all over the place and doesn't and there is that theme of tropical place with lot's of nice gardens, but nothing of Disney standard, however the White Water Mountain does although is sort of alpine themed which doesn't match the rest and places like Calypso Bay does have some good themed building, but with all that said the park is a great place to just chill, it really has that good atmosphere about it and is ALWAYS adding new rides with recent addition being 4 new looping slides and another addition was their surfrider by Intamin which is the U-pipe coaster shaped as a surfboard and HAD water spraying at you, however once again another sad point is, its now turned off!

And finally what we've all been talking about MW, now as I said I'm not going to lie lately its had dark days with new management but I think these photo's have portrayed it worse than what it really is and these days many things have improved and some things still aren't great but not as bad as made out now. First one thing that was left out Scooby... is probably one of our best themed rides, really is fantastic, its a wild mouse with cars looking like the spooky castle from the movie it has a preshow/haunted house sort of thing then up a lift into a disco room filled with smoke and laser and loud music for the rollercoaster part and really is a great ride, which recently was really falling apart much like Bermuda Triangle, although recently has been brought back nearly to what it was, not perfect but getting there and is much better IMO than the gremlin ride, Looney Tunes river ride with the search for bugs down under was also looking like it needed some desperate TLC and did receive it. Shrek, what people need to understand was it on lease for a certain amount of years, this year the lease ended and for whatever reason the lease was decided not be renewed. Now Marvin 3D has nothing on Shrek and the new film... well I haven't seen it but from reviews while the preshow isn't as well themed as the Shrek one the the 4D effects have been done much better and add for a better experience. Superman replaced the movie magic experience and the problem was with that was in its last days I remember it getting very few numbers and took up a lot of room, now Superman Escape is an excellent with superman pushing the train as a plus and a preshow, now while the que and preshow and area around the ride hasn't been done as good as other WVTP rides and Batman is still a good ride for people who aren't big on thrills but does need some TLC. Also Harry Potter was taken from MW from I understand JK Rowling telling them too or told them to pay a ridiculous amount of money to keep like she did with IOA, but the difference Universal is a lot bigger and pay that money where as a Gold Coast park can't, especially for just set replicas. The roof... well at first I hated it, but you have to see MW had no shelter from the rain, this now allows them to keep guests in the park, also because of this roof they now do things with such as last holidays opened the park later to do DC comics parade for their 50th parade one of the better shows been done by them in a long time!! They don't have the money or the amount of guests to do roofs like the one in Japan. So it has its positives and negatives, and you need to look at both, not just be told and shown the negatives. Hollywood Stunt Driver... now I read where an American recently came to Australia and saw the show and said its nothing like Disney's and at first I didn't like it, I loved Police Academy, it was one of the best shows ever done and was without a doubt Disney quality but it had been there forever and was old so it was decided to try something new, now since the first show Stunt Driver has gotten better, everyday is a different show because they are always tweaking it and changing something and now is enjoyable and worth re-visiting, after the first show, not so much. But that's the thing most people don't like change they walk around in a time machine wanting to back and keep it just the same, because they had good memories when they rode this back then... when change is actually is actually a good thing now its going to give new memories along with the old ones and a new experience when most people don't see that and end up hating it and not enjoying it for what it is new.

One thing the new managers are doing which is annoying is the closing of stores in colder months now they shut stores... they never use and yes I agree it does take that 'magic' away such as Lethal Weapon's store and even Sea World does it as well and they charge ridiculous amounts of money for food!

So basically that's their full stories John Menzies built those parks up and loved them, new management... not so much and thought cutting corners would be better and I mean hey saving money great and I'm for it... as long as it doesn't hinder the guests experience and that's what they did and thought they could get away with it... not so much. John is now involved with the company again and things are changing... they aren't as good as they use to be but their not as bad either and that's what I'm trying to say other than some people only saying and pointing out all the bad flaws. These parks don't have Disney's budget or the people but they do is generally of good quality, you describe what we have here or show photos that's the next best thing you need to see it for yourself, but you can't decisions by only listening to one persons because our parks do their own thing and they do have their own charm to them. When I get a chance I'll show photos of both the good and bad side of the parks. Also I'll talk about Dreamworld and White World which so far have been left out and have rides worth doing even for international tourists because they have things like the Giant Drop the worlds tallest free fall ride! but for now,
    Cheers.

You are being really harsh on Australian Theme Parks. You have to remember that the reason that they have really low budgets is because they don't get the numbers in their parks like parks in the US especially Disney and Universal.
    By the looks of things you went in off peck. Therefore most of the rides are closed because of the lack of visitors.

And what does the Disney/Marvel debate have to do with movieworld, Superman and Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by original View Post
    Hollywood Stunt Driver... now I read where an American recently came to Australia and saw the show and said its nothing like Disney's
    I have seen both and Stunt Driver is exactly a shorten version of Disney's Lights Motors Action. I agree with everything else in your post though. And looking forward to your photo's.
    Last edited by Cruiseshipfan; 10-10-2010 at 03:10 AM.

So I thought maybe for those that don't know our rides I found POV's on youtube on some of the rides we have now, I didn't get all of them, because there's too many, maybe more later...
    YouTube - Superman Escape POV Full - INCLUDING PRE-RIDE SECTION! Superman Escape POV This ride is really great, it may not be as elaborately themed as other areas, one great thing I would love to see is Metropolis city/park area done in front of the ride and maybe some more things done inside the queue, although such things are happening and I think what the pre-show does before the ride is excellent.
    The video starts from the ride just leaving the station on the MRT Metropolis Rapid Transit (subway, which leaves the station to be done like a subway station with Superman hidden) where you hear about recent tremors and possible earthquake, as you hear throughout the video the problem gets worse and an earthquake hits, what you can't see in this video is all the walls caving in around you, steam coming from pipes, lockers falling over and the ride begins to slow coming to Metropolis station before speeding up to see a wall of water flooding down the stairs out. When all hope is lost, Superman saves you and pushes you out, which is what you see on the back of the train from the building.
    YouTube - Wild West Falls HD POV (Movie World, Australia) Wild West Falls POV Australia's most expensive ride... the mountain for this ride is huge and if memory serves me correct is only a little smaller than that of the Disney Thunder Railroad. This ride throughout is pretty self explanatory, one down side is the final climb to the top use to include many more effects such as cables sending off sparks, for the effects of sparks lighting and blowing up the up which send you sky high and the only way is down, but a few years ago the top caught on fire and was re-built, many elements such as sparks were removed.
    YouTube - Scooby Doo's Spooky Roller Coaster Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster POV. Probably a the moment one of our best themed rides, the video picks up half, way through the ghost train part, going into the coaster room and then the final room, basically something is going and Scooby is scared then you guys get together and save the day (roller coaster room, hence the Scooby Doo music, which always plays when they go to save the day in the TV) and then final room where scooby isn't scared anymore which then you go down another drop, hidden by smoke and a laser. You don't get to see the queue which is impressive and loading room, the cars themselves are as I said replicas from the movie and have red laser lights in their eyes, which adds for a cool effect when you come to a mirror and all that is seen the red lights and nothing else. But maybe photo's from inside the queue another day.
    YouTube - DC Comics 75th Anniversary - Superhero Night Parade at Movie World DC Comic Parade. This is to show what the park has been able to do with the new roof, while I said I wasn't a fan of it and loved the open feel and beautiful trees. The park now does events when it has normally closed during holidays. This was based on the DC comics 75th birthday, and they did a whole parade, with new floats and was amazing, one of the recent better parades. Anyway during the day shows in mainstreet lead up to the evenings event, also they had a dress up competition and the little kids who entered got to walk in the parade. Now when I re-count I may forget certain things (it was a while ago) At night Louis Lane (hope I spelled that right) and the intern at the Daily Planet who's name escapes me begin the evening as just a normal parade and they will be the M.C's, because Daily Planet had sponsored the parade, to get the crowd fired up they gave out free ice-creams, simple, cheap idea that really got them fired up, they also have a camera crew follow them that then projects them onto main-streets large TV. Then with the two from the Daily Planet commentating the parade begun we see the Looney Tunes come down and we saw the old floats the gold MW limousine with carrot handle, then the Joker comes out (dressed as the old comic style joker) him and his girls do a dance, then Lex Luthor on the big screen comes on and tell of his plan to destroy the theme park and other bad guys come around on their new floats and of course then come Justice League come to save the day, which leads everyone to come out for the final dance of I Gotta Feelin' with bubbles and smoke coming from everywhere and ALL the characters in the parade acted with the crowd, then everything left and the Daily Planet said good night. It really was an amazing show done for a short period and for an Australian park all staff that came out with the parade dressed to suit in either the old Police Academy uniforms, directors outfits or all black ninja sort-of outfits. Every little detail was thought of!

Anyway I wanted to share this with everyone because I am really proud of what our parks do down here and everyone should get to see what they accomplish, both good and bad!
    Anyway, Cheers.

• MiceChat Moderator

1. Disneyland 1997;

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234