Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Delawarean Girl

Main Street Newark, Delaware

Hello MiceChatters!

Today I spent the day at one of my favorite hangouts in Delaware. Main Street Newark, Delaware! A great place to chill and unwind for a bit. Though it's best to only enjoy Main Street Newark, DE in the daytime. At night, it has a history of having riots and fights.

I would like to to show you around Main Street Newark, DE. Today was a rainy day in the State of Delaware however. But still great to show you around. Enjoy!

A Main Street Sign.

Some parts of Main Street.

First stop: Deer Park Tavern. The most greatest place to eat on Main Street. Not only a great place to eat on Main Street. But a great place to eat in ones lifetime. They make very excellent food.

The Deer Park Tavern building. It's been around since the 18th century.

The Deer Park Tavern Door.

Deer Park's Plague. Explaining it's history.

Next Stop: Brew HaHa! The best coffee chain in the State of Delaware. I could only wish it was more worldwide.

The coffee I got at Brew HaHa!. I got a Brew Ha Ha Latte. It has chocolate & raspberry syrup in it. It's so very yummy.

One particular reason why I love the Main Street's Brew HaHa. Is that I love the balcony. During the spring & summertime they have more tables and chairs to sit out there.

The outside view of being on the balcony at Brew HaHa. The buildings you are seeing there, are parts of the University of Delaware.

A picture of the Post House Restaurant. It was built in the 1940's. I've ate there once. It's pretty much a old diner. Makes me think of Waffle House in a time warp.

Delawareans often get amazed of how long 5 & 10's has been here.

Next Stop: The Cereal Bowl. Now the Cereal Bowl is not that old to Main Street. It's only been around here for a year and a couple of months. But I think it's a little neat. They put two or so kinds of cereals together and then maybe add fruit or sprinkles, etc.

The Cereal that I got. It's called "The Sweetest Thing". It has Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Vanilla Wafers, & Rainbow Sprinkles.

------

Next Stop: The sub shop that I been recommending to the Californian MiceChatters. Since they have one in Beverly Hills. Just guess.....

That's right! The greatest sub shop in the State of Delaware that everyone needs to try.

Here's a picture of "The Bobbie" (the sub sandwich I want them to try). It has fresh turkey, stuffing, & mayo. Also it's suppose to have cranberry sauce, but I get it without. That's why no cranberry sauce is seen there.

Last Stop: Bing's Bakery. I really don't know, how long has Bing's Bakery been around. It's been around since I have been a little baby girl. They make great almond cakes.

The Front Window of Bing's Bakery.

Pictures of some there cakes.

A closer picture of one of there almond cakes. It's the one in the middle on the bottom rack.

A Almond Cake that I took home with me.

----

That is the end of what I had to show of Main Street Newark, Delaware. I thank you for stopping by and had enjoyed viewing.

-Hayley B.
    Last edited by Hayley B; 09-27-2010 at 06:21 PM.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Re: Main Street Newark, Delaware

Nice little town...mines me Whitter CA.....
    I enjoy small town Thanks= HAYLEY B for shareing
    GREAT PICTURES.....JIM
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

What a wonderful report Hayley. I live in such a big city, so I often wonder what it would be like to live in a much smaller one. Of course Chicago has a lot of small neighborhoods with lots of charm. Your Main Street is indeed charming, and I really like the beautiful cake at the end.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Oh great...now I'm hungry.

Hayley, that was fantastic and very creative. I've driven around Newark (new ark?) a bit and remember that street and the university. Didn't know it was prone to trouble after dark though. College students?

I may have to stop in town when we're there, just for the food!

Thanks for sharing.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful looking little place! Certainly does look like its stuck in a time warp... in a good way! To much of that quaint America has gone. Its nice to see its still alive and well somewhere in the world.

And yeah... looking at that food is making me hungry again too!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• sleepy lagoon

I think you have made us all hungry, Hayley!!

What a sweet town. I love the history of it. I have never really spent any time in towns like that, having grown up in So Cal. There are not many places here that are so quaint.

Thanks for sharing!!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Thanks for sharing that Hayley.........and yes you're making us all hungry, especially the bakery stuff!!

• Goofy

mmm those cakes look good. nice pics.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Hayley, that balcony of Brew Ha Ha would make a really great meeting place for our little group!

Thank you for sharing with us!

• Delawarean Girl

Sorry for making everyone hungry. But that's the best thing to enjoy Main Street Newark, DE . Not too great when it comes to shopping. But again fun places to eat and just chill.

SnorkletsMom: I have never seen any fights. But then I haven't been that much at night too. My mother and others tell me about it though. Mostly in the Deer Park Tavern. It's probably is college students, since they the most majority of folks in the area and working there. But you never know. Delaware City also has a history of drunken fights too.

brand: That would be nice for us to have a little meet there. Also get some coffee. Though I would want our eat spot to be Deer Park. Though it maybe pricey to people, hard to say. But you will get a most excellent meal.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing! Looks like such a cute main st!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• will-o-the-whip

That Main St. also has one of the last old-time gaming stores for role-playing games and wargames called Days of Knights. It's about 30 years old and walking into it is like a time warp to the early 80s.
    Rita's is also excellent for a shaved ice dessert.

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    That Main St. also has one of the last old-time gaming stores for role-playing games and wargames called Days of Knights. It's about 30 years old and walking into it is like a time warp to the early 80s.
    Rita's is also excellent for a shaved ice dessert.
    Oh, I have seen the store. That is a cool looking store. I haven't got anything from there though. But I probably would had, back when I was a little anime fan for a bit.

Thanks for bring it up. I'm thinking about eating at Deer Park tomorrow. I kind of what to see if I can take pictures of the food. But it's very dark inside that restaurant. But I'm going to give it a try.

I can take a picture of "Days of Knights" while there too.

Rita's is good. I love it that they have pieces of real fruit in the water ice. I think it might be closed for the year. It didn't look opened while I walked by it.

• will-o-the-whip

Loved to see some pics of Days of Knights, it's a very cool "old-time" store.

Best restaurant I tried on Main St. is Caffe Gelato. The Home Grown Cafe is pretty good too.

If you want some farm fresh ice cream head over to the University's agriculture college where they make it the old fashioned way. When I was there in the spring, I was told they would be opening an ice cream store soon. The mint chocolate chip was excellent.

• Delawarean Girl

2nd visit to Main Street Newark, DE. Wanted to show you Deer Park's food and a little bit of what it looks like inside Deer Park . Also, I took some more pictures of some of the stores and other stuff.

First stop....

One more stop at Brew Haha! Actually I wasn't planning on taking another picture at Brew Haha. But since they made my Brew Haha Latte extra special this time. I just couldn't resist (I never gotten shavings before) . Oh and I'm sitting on the balcony this time.

Ok, now the main reason why I wanted to go back. Time to go inside....

Some pictures of inside Deer Park Tavern.

In it's mighty glory! Deer Park's food. I had
    Roasted Chicken with Rosemary & Lemon:
    A half chicken seasoned with lemon, rosemary, basil, oregano & bread crumbs.
    Served with gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, veggie du jour & cornbread.

Now after my Deer Park visit.

I took some pictures of the Old College.

The Old College. It's just museum now. But I think they might still show plays in that big building with the big staircase. I remember going up there as a little girl and going to see The Nutcracker.

A picture of the current University of Delaware.

A little of University of Delaware's History.

The places to eat that indianajack have talked about here.

" The Days of Knights"

Random shots of inside "The Days of Knights"

----

Last stop: "Rainbow Records". Now you are really going to step back into time, once you see what "Rainbow Records" still sells. But then again, I guess they wouldn't still be called "Rainbow Records" is they didn't.

"Rainbow Records" building.

Inside "Rainbow Records".

----

Now that is the end of the 2nd part of the Main Street Newark, Delaware thread. I hope you have enjoyed viewing this nice little old street.

-Hayley B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast