• Theme Park Paradise

First trip to Dollywood, any tips?

My family and I will be in Tennessee, so I thought we should try to make a visit to Dollywood. We will be in Chattanooga, so it's a two hour drive to the park. I am happy to do it if the park is a fun experience.

So, any thoughts on a day at Dollywood? What are the must see rides and attractions? Shows? Dining options?
    We will be there on Saturday, March 26, which I also believe is the parks season opener. It'll be interesting to see how prepped they are to open. Any tips you can offer would be appreciated.

Re: First trip to Dollywood, any tips?

Funny! I'm researching this too as I'll be at Dollywood for my first time in June. A friend told me that the park is not a thrills-park but an entertainment park. Folks in the know line up way in advance for the Dollywood's shows and the roller coasters are secondary. I'm planning on being there for two days or so and look forward to it!

Blog Entries

Bring your appetite because Dollywood has some of the best food ! The cinnamon bread at the mill is the best food ever!

I remember the Q-Bot linecutting system being a really good deal and totally worth it to not have to wait as much so I suggest getting it.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wow...what's awesome about Dollywood? Geez...what isn't?

It's like the local TN version of Disneyland...park scale...charm...rabid local fan base. It's great.

There is the food...the train...THUNDERHEAD...the shows...live music...the awesomeness of Adventure Mountain...I went at Christmas so for me millions of Christmas lights...basically it is a great park.

My tip would be...and it is hard...but if you go at opening, bypass Thunderhead and Mystery Mine (which can be tough) but go first to Adventure Mountain...even on slow days that got a line. And its worth a line...its just better without one.

And go hungry...it can be hard to decide on where to eat. I didn't get to all the places I wanted to try...though I wasn't about to stand in the lines some of the restaurants get (even on slow days).

• Functional & Decorative

I agree with getting the Q bot, it's well worth the money. And that the line for Adventure Mountain can be long and slow, so I'd head for it early as well. Once you go through one circuit of Adventure Mountain (and there are three, if they are all open), you can ask to be diverted to another one, which I recommend. Also, they do not allow open toe shoes or flip flops on it, so don't wear those to the park if you intend to go on that.

Mystery Mine is great, and I also personally love Blazing Fury, that's a hoot!

The food is pretty good by amusement park standards, as are the shows. Sha-kon-o-hey is their feature show, and it has all original music written by Dolly herself. Also don't miss the Dolly Museum, even if you're not a big Dolly fan, it's very interesting. But it does sometimes close earlier than the rest of the park.

The park is not terribly large, but very well themed, and you'll want to spend some time in stores and displays. I loved it there, it's beautiful and the staff is very friendly.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Blog Entries

Blazing Fury is an awesome ride! I got to do a walkthrough on it 2 years ago and it was so cool!

• Theme Park Paradise

Thanks all. It sounds like it will be worth the drive. We'll do it! Its just three of us, me, my wife and our four year old daughter. Are the rides mentioned appropriate for a four year old, or will we have to swap? Mind you, for four, she's a veteran of Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Goofy's Barnstormer, so as long as she's tall enough, I think she'll try them.

• Shablagoo!

I hope one of you does a trip report. Dollywood is one of those parks that I am interested in hearing and seeing more about.

• Theme Park Paradise

I am sad to report we did not make the drive to Dollywood. The weather in Tennessee was cold with steady rain and did not feel like the right move to drive two plus hours to spend the day miserable. We will go sometime later this year and we will file a trip report. Stay tuned.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Go in November for Smokey Mountain Christmas. I loved it so much I wish I could go back...