Smile Lotte World Trip Report: May 20th, 2011

I have been teaching in South Korea for a little less than 6 months now, and I decided to finally take a day off, with my girlfriend, Katie, to go to Lotte World. It is said that Lotte World is the biggest indoor theme park in the world. Katie and I decided to spend all of Friday there, and I have to say that it was worth the trip. Our trip took place on May 20th, 2011:

Here is the map of the entire Lotte World theme park. There is a huge indoor ride area and a smaller outdoor area. Even though Lotte World may look small, it sure has a lot of rides to keep you running around the entire day.

Here is the sign you see while walking to the theme park from the subway exit.

Before heading into Lotte World, Katie needed some coffee and I needed something to eat, so we headed to Krispy Kreme.

I decided to get a Hello Kitty shaped donut. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

After a little breakfast, we finally got to the entrance of Lotte World. There is something very familiar about the castle logo that Lotte World uses.

The price to get in wasn't that bad at all; it was about 40 bucks. Lotte World's ticketing is odd because you can buy a ticket to get into the Lotte World but not ride any rides, which is called a general ticket. The tickets that Katie and I got were the ones where you can ride all of the rides; this ticket is called an All Day Special Pass. This means that you have to show your ticket to the line worker before going on to any rides, so if you lose your ticket then you're out of luck.

I'm so excited to have our tickets!

Entrance sign before going into Lotte World.

Here are some photos taken from the inside, ground floor, of the theme park.

This where all of the stage shows take place. I didn't get a change to see any but there is enough sitting room for anyone who wanted to see the shows.

Katie and I decided to head outside before it started to rain, which it did later.

Lotte World's castle was surprisingly very nice and pretty.

A view from outside. Too bad it wasn't a nicer day.

Atlantis Adventure was the first ride we decided to get on. It was raining a bit while we were in line, but we still had a good time.

The entrance to Atlantis Adventure is pretty cool looking.

Atlantis Adventure is a pretty good ride. The take off and the ending are great, but right in the middle of the ride it slows down, which took the thrill out of the ride for me. It still was a fun and exciting ride, and Katie still liked it anyway.

This is the main drop of the ride

Atlantis has a height limit of 190cm. I am a little over 190cm but I was still able to enjoy the ride. I did duck my head throughout the ride, just in case.

After riding Atlantis Katie and I decided to get Magic Passes, similar to Fast Passes, so we could ride later.

The Magic Passes look very similar to Fast Passes at Disneyland/World.

Next was Ghost House 3D. It was pretty lame, but it was fun to experience.

Here is the story of Ghost House 3D.

After the 3D show we walked through Snow White's Castle which retold the story of Snow White. At the top of the castle we got a new view of the outside area of Lotte World.

I laughed out loud when I saw this. They really don't care about copyrights at Lotte World.

Next on our list was Comet Express. We weren't too excited, at first, about this ride but we were wrong. This is one, if not the, most fun rides at Lotte World. It was a blend between Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. Unfortunately it started to rain more so we decided to head back into the inside area of the theme park and get some lunch.

There was so much graffiti around Lotte World. I wish they would clean it up, because the park would look so much nicer.

For lunch I got a chicken burger, and I have to say that it was terrible. I was so hungry though that I just sucked it up and ate it. Katie didn't enjoy the hamburger she got either. She didn't even finish it...so I did.

After lunch we decided to head over to the "Hot Air" Balloon ride, which gives you a sky view tour of the entire park. It was a nice and relaxing ride, and it was fun getting a bird's eye view of the entire park.

The next ride we went on was The French Revolution. This had to be one of the roughest rides I have ever been on. Katie and I had a huge headache after the ride. One of the worst rides at Lotte World.

Katie and I are happy to have our ticket holders.

After a headache inducing ride, Katie and I wanted to get on something slow and relaxing. We decided to ride World Monorail ride. This ride was something we both needed and enjoyed.

Here is the entrance door to the monorail.

Monorail at night.

Next ride we got on was Fantasy Dream, which resembles It's a Small World. Fantasy Dream had to be one of the oddest and scariest rides I have ever been on. It sure was an experience. More like Terrifying Nightmare!

Inside shot of the ride. Too bad it is not a better picture.

After that ride we decided to get on Pharaoh's Fury: The Ride, which is exactly like Indian Jones Ride at Disneyland. Everything about the Pharaoh's Fury is the same, which is why this was one of my favorite rides at Lotte World. If you're going to copy something, do it well.

Your ride vehicle.

Another picture of the loading dock.

The last ride we decided to get on was The Adventure of Sindbad. This ride takes you into the world of Sindbad. There was some good CGI graphics throughout the ride, and it was reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean!

The exit painting.

Night view of the park. And yes. it is that dark throughout the entire park. There is not very much lighting throughout the park, at night.

Another night view picture.

After we had dinner, which was okay, we went to get some good seats for the laser show. The laser show was entertaining. I love lasers so I was amused.

After the laser show, Katie and I decided to take a night picture in front of the castle.

All and all, I had a great time. The food was the worst part of the park but the rides were surprisingly very fun. If you every take a vacation to Seoul, take the time to go to Lotte World.

• Captain EO forever

Re: Lotte World Trip Report: May 20th, 2011

This looks much better than our trip to Walt Disney World right? =P

Thanks for the report ! My friend went to Korea and he loved Lotte World and Everland and he said that the Korean park were great .

i wanna go to Asia .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• will-o-the-whip

Thanks for the report. It will be interesting to see how the Universal Studios in Incheon will look when done in a few years. Rumor is it will have an extensive section on Korean films, singers and soap operas which are very popular throughout Asia. I also wonder if it will primarily be covered since Korea is absolutely freezing in the winter... brrrr...

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wow the graffiti is incredible...I had no idea that it was so rampant in the park.

Is the guy in the load area of Pharaoh's Fury wearing Mickey ears?

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Wow the graffiti is incredible...I had no idea that it was so rampant in the park.

Is the guy in the load area of Pharaoh's Fury wearing Mickey ears?
    Yeah, the worker was wearing Mickey ears. It's crazy how much they copy Disneyland/World.

I love Lotte World! I was there in 2007 and had an amazing time! Did you ride the Indy ride and the rapids ride deep inside the the indoor section? This park it truly one of a kind!

• insert snarky title here

This reminded me of when I was living in Pusan, South Korea (1996-1997). There was a tiny Lotte World amusement park--on the top floor of the Lotte department store downtown. Very interesting experience! A third of the rides weren't working when I went...

• Ravenclaw

I went a few weeks ago when I was there, working for Cirque du Soleil. I really enjoyed the friendliness of the workers on Atlantis Adventure...they even spoke English! Question, though: what was with the two-handed waving?
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    I went a few weeks ago when I was there, working for Cirque du Soleil. I really enjoyed the friendliness of the workers on Atlantis Adventure...they even spoke English! Question, though: what was with the two-handed waving?
    I have no idea why they do the two-handed wave. Some of my co-workers do it too. I think it's so cute though.