Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

My Annual Wisconsin Dells Vacation

Every year for about a dozen years now my husband, grandson, and I leave Chicago the last week in August before Labor Day, and spend about a week in the Wisconsin Dells area. As you can see by this first photo, our journey began right around 10:26
    Chicago time.

My husband does all the driving. Frankly I never learned how.

There were some beautiful clouds in the sky as we headed down the highway to our destination. It takes us about three hours, and that's door to door.

We can tell that we are getting close to the Wisconsin Dells border when I see the water tower from a town called Loves Park. I just look for the big red heart.

The next thing that I look for is the blue sign that announces the Rest Area stop. That is right across the border into Wisconsin. We always get out there, and use the restroom, and pick up Wisconsin Dells guidebooks.

My husband doesn't always make the walk up the hill to the Welcome Center. I always take a photo of the flags flying and the Wisconsin sign. They have a lot of books and pamphlets that you can pick up and use to make your vacation more enjoyable.

This was the first year that we realized that we could follow this gravel path, and get really close to the big brown sign that was shaped like the state of Wisconsin. I made my husband walk over there with me so he could take my photo. I still can't believe after all these years, we never knew that we could get that close to the sign. I always tried before to get t a photo from the highway as we drove by.

Well folks, I'm pretty tired, and I'm getting a sore neck from all this clicking. Tomorrow I will be back to show you picks of our timeshare at Glacier Canyon Lodge, and the restaurant where we ate dinner. We left Chicago, and yet we found a little touch of it up in the Dells. Also all Wisconsin Ducks are not made the same. Did you know that?
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-27-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• former CM

Re: My Annual Wisconsin Dells Vacation

Thanks for posting this, Barbaraann!

Wisconsin has the best welcome sign I've seen out of the 46 states I've visited. This is not surprising since Wisconsinites/cheese heads are (in my opinion) exceptionally affable. They're funnier than average too.

I like the proudly touristy Dells, and I only have one complaint about the Dells:
    I hate it when you are on the Ducks boat and off-road ride and the driver/tour guide stops the boat/bus(?) near the end and practically demands that everyone tips him.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-28-2011 at 09:11 AM.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Barbaraann!

Wisconsin has the best welcome sign I've seen out of the 46 states I've visited. This is not surprising since Wisconsinites/cheese heads are (in my opinion) exceptionally affable. They're funnier than average too.

I like the proudly touristy Dells, and I only have one complaint about the Dells:
    I hate it when you are on the Ducks boat and off road ride and the driver/tour guide stops the boat/bus(?) near the end and practically demands that everyone tips him.
    Actually, the Dells Ducks boat drivers are all college students, and this helps them out greatly with their expenses. That doesn't bother me too much, but I wish they would lower the cost of the tour, it has gotten expensive over the years. Don't feel bad if you just hand the driver back the packet, and don't give him his suggested gratuity. I have done that many times.

---------- Post added 08-28-2011 at 07:52 AM ----------

We have been staying at the Glacier Canyon Lodge since it first opened, which is about four or five years now. It is located at The Wilderness Resort, which is a great resort loaded with lots of great amenities. Before we bought the timeshare, we stayed in a regular room, the standard of which had 2 Queen beds, and a sofa bed. That was perfect when my grandson was smaller. The timeshare wasn't cheap, but my husband loves it here, because it's just three hours away by car, and there's lots to do. It's a great place to just relax, as well.

Our room number, this trip is 7206, which I confused with 7026, so I went to the wrong room at first, and luckily no one came out of that room yelling at me "why are you trying to get into my room?"

Some pics of our room coming up next. We have a great view of the small little dinosaur pool, which means that we have one pool that is a very small walk away.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-28-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Pop Century Resort

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Have a great, relaxing time Barbara!!! Looking forward to many more pictures!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Thanks Jody. I got interrupted by what I was doing, and Photobucket messed up on me. I'll be back later with more photos to show everyone.

thanks for looking.

Pop Century Resort

• Future Cast Member

Great trip report! Your room is so nice, and I can't wait for more pictures of your trip!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Actually, the Dells Ducks boat drivers are all college students, and this helps them out greatly with their expenses. That doesn't bother me too much, but I wish they would lower the cost of the tour, it has gotten expensive over the years. Don't feel bad if you just hand the driver back the packet, and don't give him his suggested gratuity. I have done that many times. . .
    I felt uncomfortable tipping because it almost seemed like they were saying, "You're not going back till you cough up some cash!" The last two times I rode the water/land vehicles I endured the most aggressive and obnoxious tips requests I've ever encountered.

Imagine if NPR had the power to stop your car as you drove home from work and make you listen to the a pledge drive while you wanted to get home.

Or if you were walking through Disneyland and the Disney time share sales people could stop you against your will and make you listen to a pitch.

That's what the end of the Dells boat/open-air bus ride felt like to me.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Barbaraann ...LooK 's like you have a pice of Wisconsin...in your Hand.......Have FUN!JIM
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

More pictures of our really nice room. It's funny because we always had a room that was organized the same layout, and this one is the mirror opposite, which is a nice change, and is taking a little time to get used to.

Last night we ate at a place called UNO'S. They have the same restaurant in downtown Chicago. There was a lot of Chicago stuff in this restaurant which was really good. I should have taken a picture of my yummy Banana's Foster Desert, but I had it 1/2 eaten before I remembered that I wanted to do that.

I loved the old fashioned Cocoa Cola cooler that they had there. I remember buying coke like that when I was a kid, and opening it up on the built in bottle opener.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Wisconsin Dells is known for the Original Wisconsin Ducks. So far the only Ducks that I have seen are the ones that live here, and beg for food. I wonder if they are related to Donald?

Coming up later is Day two of my vacation.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

My husband and I went to this old 50's/60's Diner today called Denny's. Not sure if it's got anything to do with the Denny's that you see a lot of other places across the country. However, they had a lot of old time fun stuff. The food was nothing special, but the place sure had a huge crowd.

That last photo, which didn't turn out so great was a Little Rascal's movie which was playing on one of the many televisions in the room.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-28-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Pop Century Resort

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Interesting ....Look's like fun place ....to see!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Yes Jim it was a fun place. My husband enjoyed his eggs Benedict much more than I enjoyed my pancakes. I have had much better elsewhere, and in my own kitchen.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-28-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Pop Century Resort

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

In San Diego.....I went to a PANCAKE house.... call Ann pancake place....
    (or something like that?)
    they had like 200 kinds of Pancakes to pick from .....as well other food!
    It Was Good
    JIM

---------- Post added 08-28-2011 at 08:32 PM ----------

This one must be for ME!Jim ....lol
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I am sorry to say that my pancakes were not that good. I did think about you when I posted the Pepsi pic, Jim.

---------- Post added 08-28-2011 at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I felt uncomfortable tipping because it almost seemed like they were saying, "You're not going back till you cough up some cash!" The last two times I rode the water/land vehicles I endured the most aggressive and obnoxious tips requests I've ever encountered.

Imagine if NPR had the power to stop your car as you drove home from work and make you listen to the a pledge drive while you wanted to get home.

Or if you were walking through Disneyland and the Disney time share sales people could stop you against your will and make you listen to a pitch.

That's what the end of the Dells boat/open-air bus ride felt like to me.
    Sorry that you had a bad experience with the Ducks driver. I guess I have been fortunate. Although I have had bad luck with timeshare people.

Pop Century Resort

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast