Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Winchester Fright Night Friday 10-14

Decided to hit up the flashlight and haunted maze at the Winchester house in San Jose. I have never done the flashlight tour so i was excited about this more than the haunt. This is the first year they did the haunt so I was skeptical.

For anyone that lives in the bay area I would say if you haven't done a flashlight tour of the house you must mind a way. It was AWESOME. I have been to the house a handful of times but going through it at night with only flashlight paving the way is just plain sweet. They give everyone a flashlight which you get to use on the tour and keep. I was using it to look all over the rooms we were going through it reminded me of a episode of ghost hunters. Since you could shine it on dark areas you could make shadows appear creepy. Also some of the windows in the house give off nice reflections when the light hits them. The tour was 65 mins through Sarah Winchesters odd house.

After the house tour we hit up the maze and it didn't disappoint either. They staggered people through so your group wasn't just trailing other people. I wish other places did this. At knots it was so busy you were just following a line through it so the scares were minimal. The scares at Winchester were great. i was also surprised at the detail of makeup used here since this was their first haunt. I jumped a couple of times lol. The detail in all the scenes were great I don't really want to outline them in case anyone goes. My favorite room though was one where you had to push your way through two walls that were closed in around you. it seemed like it went on forever There were too many characters I liked to name them all but I think the scarecrows were my favs.

Again I would say it was a great experience over all and if you live in the area find a way to get there before the month is over.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Winchester Fright Night Friday 10-14

I REALLY want to go to this!! I just moved up to the bay and am not super into Halloween parties and dressing up, but I do like going to haunted houses and seeing scary movies. I just don't really know anybody yet so I don't know who I could go with, and certainly not going alone. Thanks for the report, sounds like a blast!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I REALLY want to go to this!! I just moved up to the bay and am not super into Halloween parties and dressing up, but I do like going to haunted houses and seeing scary movies. I just don't really know anybody yet so I don't know who I could go with, and certainly not going alone. Thanks for the report, sounds like a blast!
    You should find a way if you like creepy things it's totally worth it. Where did you move to?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    You should find a way if you like creepy things it's totally worth it. Where did you move to?
    Do they have a schedule? I know in years past they only offered the flashlight tour on Halloween and any Friday the 13th? Did they change that this year?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Do they have a schedule? I know in years past they only offered the flashlight tour on Halloween and any Friday the 13th? Did they change that this year?
    ye

ah here it is at this link. It;s pretty much Friday Saturday and Sunday nights

Fright Nights - The world famous Winchester Mystery House

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Looks very cool, definitely considering doing this next weekend...thanks for the review!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Looks very cool, definitely considering doing this next weekend...thanks for the review!
    I am considering going again I had a blast. And it;s not too far away from me I also need to squeeze in pirates of emerson.

• "I Break Things"

I plan on taking Tink up if they do it again next year. I could care less about the maze, I simply want to do the flashlight tour. It's a 7.5hr drive for us... so we can't pull it off this year.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I plan on taking Tink up if they do it again next year. I could care less about the maze, I simply want to do the flashlight tour. It's a 7.5hr drive for us... so we can't pull it off this year.
    they also do flashlight tours on any Friday the 13ths that happen during the year.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I'm in Daly City. So just a hop onto the freeway.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

we did the Winchester maze on saturday night (we'd already done the flashlight tour last year so skipped it this year) and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

great use of the Sarah Winchester story, and the natural environs of the Winchester grounds. Another knockout soundtrack by MiceChat's own resident haunted attraction composer, Jon Autopsy and the already creepy vibe just added to the awesomeness of this attraction.

def one of the best, if not THE best first year mazes we've ever been thru. we went thru the maze 6 times (we got the VIP tickets, which are absolutely worth it) and saw at least 1 different thing each time we went thru

i cannot recommend this highly enough
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    we did the Winchester maze on saturday night (we'd already done the flashlight tour last year so skipped it this year) and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

great use of the Sarah Winchester story, and the natural environs of the Winchester grounds. Another knockout soundtrack by MiceChat's own resident haunted attraction composer, Jon Autopsy and the already creepy vibe just added to the awesomeness of this attraction.

def one of the best, if not THE best first year mazes we've ever been thru. we went thru the maze 6 times (we got the VIP tickets, which are absolutely worth it) and saw at least 1 different thing each time we went thru

i cannot recommend this highly enough
    couldn't agree more!!!

• Doombuggies.com Member

Thumbs up Re: Winchester Fright Night Friday 10-14

Thanks for the post biggsworth. I had been wondering if was a true flashlight tour of the house or if some of the tour was supposed to be scary. (You know people dressed up to scare you.) I'll put that on my list of things to do the next Friday the 13th rolls around. I haven't been to the Winchester Mansion since I was a kid. I remember thinking the small stairwells were cool to wander through (mind you I didn't pick up on the fact that Mrs. Winchester was that small until I was older).

On a side note, I just did the Frightfest & Boofet at Great America a couple of weeks ago and it was fun.
    When asked his opinion of Disney’s California Adventure, John Hench, 65-year Disney veteran and the official portrait artist for Mickey Mouse, reportedly said, “I liked it better as a parking lot."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doombuggygal View Post
    Thanks for the post biggsworth. I had been wondering if was a true flashlight tour of the house or if some of the tour was supposed to be scary. (You know people dressed up to scare you.) I'll put that on my list of things to do the next Friday the 13th rolls around. I haven't been to the Winchester Mansion since I was a kid. I remember thinking the small stairwells were cool to wander through (mind you I didn't pick up on the fact that Mrs. Winchester was that small until I was older).

On a side note, I just did the Frightfest & Boofet at Great America a couple of weeks ago and it was fun.

I haven't been to the Great America haunt in a while. I am out of time this year to hit up a haunt. I will be going to Universal next weekend can't wait!

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

I'm going tomorrow - can't wait! Living only a mile or so away from the Winchester House, I've been there so many times I tend to fill in the gaps from the tour guides when they miss something. But I've never done the flashlight tour and I'm actually a little scared of wandering around the place in the dark...
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast