Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Point

• Minion

Cedar Point

I'm going to Cedar Point this summer, have any of you ever been there? Disaster Transport seems interesting, but i've read that it's quite the rip-off of Space Mountain.

Disaster Transport is a Mack Bobsled that has been totally enclosed. It was originally run in the open, but after a couple of seasons of lackluster ridership a building was built around it. The idea was that it would be a more thrilling ride in the dark. The ride was a dissapointment to the general public , especially those old enough to remember the Bartlett designed Flying Turns at Euclid Beach Park. Flying Turns was an intense ride, which the Mack Bobsleds are more a family ride.

• Why do you keep talking?

Disaster Transport is a very fun ride, no where near Space mountain, but I like it. It's air conditioned too so there's always a long line when it's hot out (unless it's broke, then it can get very warm in there). I just would also like to point out it's an Intamin ride. Like Dutchman already mentioned, it was enclosed in 1990, the way they did it though, leads to some pitch black moments (like this one) making it more fun not knowing where your going. My tip for riding, wait until it's almost closing for the shortest lines, other wise be ready to wait an hour or so.

As for the rest of the park, I love it. This is going to be my fourth year working their, and I still love playing there on my days off. Make sure to come visit me on Paddlewheel Excursions (over by Camp Snoopy next to Dragster's massive tower) and and ride! It's fun and it gives you a chance to get off your feet for a few minutes.

The shows are a lot of fun, there are literally rides for everyone (you CAN ride most of the rides in Camp Snoopy without having a child, YAY Tilt-a-Whirl!) Frontier Trail is great for taking a relaxing stroll and there are a lot of little craft shops littered along. Stop and feed the ducks when you just need a break.

I'll stop there, otherwise I'll write a book. If you have any questions just ask, I'm try to answer my best, and I'm sure there are others on this board that know about the park. Above all though, Have a great time!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I went to CP when I was around 10. I really enjoyed it so you should too!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Minion

Oh, thanks for the info, Disaster Transport dosen't look too safe to me haha. Oh and Hector i'll try to find you, even though that might be near impossible.

HAHAHA not at all, I think I may be the only Hector that works at the park!
    Zebrahead

• ...or just Tonny

Cedar Point rocks! It's truly one of my favorite parks, together with places like Disneyland Paris, Kennywood, Busch Gardens Williamsburg etc.

And it's not even the coasters that make it so great. Of course, the coasters are awesome, but the atmosphere, the lake nearby and the great employees all make it a wonderfull place!

• They wanna know, HO!

Disaster Transport sucks, every time I go on it there is NO AC, bumpy ride, and very boring. The themeing makes no sense after they got rid of most of it, and it's not a very good ride anyway.

Make sure to check out MaXair, I rode the origional at PKI and it's amazing.

You know the rest to hit, TTD, Millie, Magnum, Gemini, WT, etc.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• darkincite
    *Waves to Hector* CP , I'll be going back for my third season this year, albeit no in ride operations ... Anywho, I love me some Disaster Transport. One of few Intamin Swiss bob coasters out there (Unfortunatly it's not a Mack Bobsled model, those coasters have inline seating and multiple cars similar to Matterhorn at Disneyland), and a very unique experience. I'm still straining to find the similarities between Space Mountain and DT, but then again I've seen/heard of the original ride manual with all of the show elements. Sounded like it was at least semi-entertaining when it first debuted, especially the first room. Apparently there used to be a ride host and audio-animatronic (nowhere near Disney quality) that would talk to each other and explain the different destinations and so forth that the Dispatch Master Transport agency sent you to... Alaska... :|... (Don't ask...)

The shows are AWESOME, like Hector said! I love Star Struck!! One of the best musical revues in a park, and I believe it won the Golden Ticket (Hector correct me if I'm wrong!!) either in 2003 or 2004. Snoopy Rocks! On Ice is breathtaking, especially the moves they pull of on such a SMALL rink. Literally!! I was really amazed at the professionalism of the show and it's definatly a repeat. Other than those two shows I haven't seen any others ... If you can, show up for Halloweekends. Definatly worth the time and some of the haunted houses are spectacular (Undertaker U), as is the Fright Zone. Wasn't much of a fan of Carn-Evil last year... but then again I am deathly afraid of clowns.

*Makes random jab at Paddlewheel's corny jokes, heehee!* Hector, two words: Arrow Dance !

The food is really different in terms of quality, depending on where you eat. You can get anything from the normal burger and fries, to some of the best food ever! I HIGHLY reccomend Famous Dave's that opened up last year and replaced the Boat House. Awesome barbeque, and it's actually decently priced believe it or not. Johnny Rockets is very good, but kind of pricy, as are both of the TGI Fridays (Yes, there are two! One in Hotel Breakers and on at the Castaway Bay Hotel and Waterpark). But my favorite is Midway Market, a "world" of a buffet, and at about $13 an adult it's actually the best deal you get for eats at the park.

There's currently four hotels to choose from at the park (do we call it a resort now Hector?!): Hotel Breakers, Sandcastle Suites (the two on-penninsula properties), Breakers Express (right next to employee housing!) and Castaway Bay (the two off-penninsula properties). There is also Lighthouse Point, which has private cabins of varying sizes, but is my favorite property that CP has. If you have a camper or RV, CP also has Camper Village, though it keeps getting smaller and smaller every year. If you like history, definatly check out Hotel Breakers and the Bon Aire section. The Rotunda is honestly one of the most beautiful structural works I've seen, albeit without AC.

There's also the mile-long beach on the Hotel Breakers side of the park, Soak City which is a huge waterpark and much fun (but seperate admission), and various water sports like jet skis and para-sailing (both are kind of expensive and by the half hour). Castaway Bay also has an indoor waterpark of the same name featuring a Master Blaster waterslide (hope to hit that one this summer!). Oh, almost forgot to add there's a marina next to Famous Daves for anyone that has a boat and wants to use that as their accomodations, though I believe the slips fill up fast and stay that way for most of the summer.

Darn, now THAT was a book!
    Last edited by darkincite; 03-20-2005 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Not Super Star, it's Star Struck X-D!

My name was mentioned five times in all of that.
    Zebrahead

Hector, at the time that DT was installed, Intamin was not building rides, only brokering them.They sold and installed rides built Schwarzkopf, Zier,Mack,Von Roll and others.They would put their name plate on the rides, to insure that the spare parts business went through them and not directly to the actual manufactuer. It's only been recently that Intamin has been designing rides. The steel coasters were built by Giavonola.

Your talking to one of the world's largest coaster geeks (I'm just not a creepy ACEr :shudder: ), yes I already knew that, but thank you anyway.
    Zebrahead

• darkincite
    Yes, Intamin AG did do a lot of brokerage deals for rides that were built at Cedar Point. However, they were installing and constructing their own rides before Avalanche Run ever opened. Junior Gemini in the Gemini Children's Area of Cedar Point was designed, constructed, and installed solely by Intamin AG in 1979. Six years before Avalanche Run premiered. Intamin AG is also accredited for the design and construction of (besides Avalanche Run and Junior Gemini) Demon Drop and Thunder Canyon, though other companies were obviously involved in the design and construction. We could say the Canadians are responsible for building Top Thrill Dragster, since Intamin AG had no direct hand in the construction what-so-ever But then again, I do like to thank Giavonola for one hell of a ride on Demon Drop
    Last edited by darkincite; 03-20-2005 at 12:38 PM.

I was in the employ of CP in the early 1970's. All of the European rides that were bought during that era came through Morgan Hughes. I have Intamin sales brouchures from the 1980's where they listed all of the rides and attractions that they sold. Under each one the actual manufactuer is listed. It wasn't until the demise of Schwarzkopf that Intamin was forced to look elsewhere for their major coaster builder. (The junior coasters were built by Joseph Zier). Werner Stengel, who worked for Schwarzkopf, designed coasters for Intamin on a contract basis, with actual fabricating done by various firms, with Giavonola winding up being the principal shop. It was about this time that Intamin started placing their name plates on rides. Legally this meant that they took total responsiblity for them. Yes they now have in house design teams, but twenty years ago, they did not.

• Official MC Thread Killer

I went to Cedar Point, and honestly, I was very disappointed. Every roller coaster I rode, except Top Thrill Dragster, was extremely over-rated. There really isn't anything special to me about the coasters there. TTD, however, was incredible. One of the scariest things in my life though lol. The bad thing about it is we waited about 2 hours for a less than 30 second ride . The park is clean and the food is very very good (try an Oreo shake at Coasters Drive-In!) but to me the rest just sucked. You spend way too much money for service that in my opinion, sucked (guess I'm spoiled by Disney, eh?). The shows are also pretty bad, like Snoopy Rocks! On Ice and the "laser" show at night which was also disappointing. The park is huge so use the forms of transportation, too (railroad and skyway). All in all, the coasters are just okay and to me the rest didn't seem very worth it. I probably won't go back anytime soon (if ever) but I hope you have fun!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast