Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Going to USH and Knott's For the First Time.

Oops, didn't mean to get Top Thrill Dragster and Xcelerator confused. I'm still a little bit leery about Xcelerator, but less so now. Maybe I will end up going on it.

That meal at Mrs. Knotts sounds really good. We'll have to eat that for dinner, and the price sounds reasonable.

No little kids (15 and 53) but I'll be sure to go to Camp Snoopy anyways. Looking at pictures it seems cute, and I love Snoopy, so the chance to meet him would be great.

My must rides are Jaguar, Silver Bullet, Perilous Plunge, Timber Mountain Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, Montezoomas Revenge, Mystery Lodge, Sky Cabin, the Bumper Cars (I've never been on Bumper Cars), the Railroad, and Big Foot Rapids. That looks like a really long list now that I've typed it out, but it will be possible to do in one day? We're going on a Tuesday, in the middle of January... I might chicken out on Silver Bullet and Montezooma's Revenge, so that probably would bring the waiting down...

• Circle of Ancients

^^ Xcelerator has indeed rolled back, mostly when it first opened. That doesn't mean the ride broke it just means it didn't crest the hill.

When the ride launches and clears the launch track you will see the breaks pop back up. This is for this reason. When it happens the train slows down (Just like it does at the end of the ride) and gently goes back into the station. They will just reset and launch the ride again.

This is also the reason the 2nd train doesn't enter the station until the train launches and cleares the top-hat.

• Banned User

Just wanted to say I loved knotts!!! we enjoyed it so much and miss not going there ( we live in Montana) Have a wonderful time and take pictures please!!! pictures of the rides, and pictures of everything and post them please! I also wish I could see universal, sounds so fun. please, take pictures of the rides and such so I can see it. thank you !

I'll take many, many, many pictures! And I'll write a trip report!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AmyArgh
    I'll take many, many, many pictures! And I'll write a trip report!
    ]

yay!!!! thank you thank you!!! I want to see the rides, and while in process, you know I so wish I was going, we really liked knotts, and my son he loved this place and cried all during disneyland go figure LOL! I can notwait to hear how it went and how much fun you had. !!!

• Circle of Ancients

Just be aware that if it's raining Knott's will most likely be closed.

Their new park manager Gregg Picon had said that Knott's would stay open in the rain. But that's one New Years resolution that didn't hold steady as the park was closed today.

• xmanmom

Talking Re: Going to USH and Knott's For the First Time.

Hey, we were just at Universal on New Year's Eve, which was a Saturday and we got everything that we wanted to do done between noon and 8pm and that was with sitting down to eat twice. You should be just fine getting to do everything you wanted to do.

A little tip, we got our All-You-Can-Eat passes online beforehand and it was only $10 per person. An amazing deal! Just go to Universal's website and you pay with a credit or bank card, print out your proof and bring it with you. When you get to the park that day you go to a special booth listed on your print-out and they give you the wrist band.

You can only use the wrist band at three restaurants. Luigi's Pizza and Pasta and Mel's Diner on the upper lot and Jurrassic Cafe on the lower lot. The food was fine, nothing special but a really good deal. We had full lunches and dinners plus an extra dessert at the end of the day and saved over $60 total for two people.

Luigi's is just what it says pizza and pasta. My bf and I each got a pasta dish with bread, ceasar salad and a dessert. On the pasta, it says that meatballs or sausage are extra but they actually give them to you as part of your entree on the deal. The desserts are nothing special here, just jello, mousse or a huge cookie. The only seating there is outdoor. It was raining when we ate there so it was fairly miserable.

Jurassic Cafe, in the lower lot, has indoor seating so it is much nicer to get out of the rain, cold or heat. Also it didn't seem too crowded. Your choices here are Panda Express Chinese, Pizza Hut Express and various salads and soup in a bread bowl. I found the chinese to be the best value here. I was able to get a combo with two types of chicken (orange chicken and a teriaki type chicken) fried rice and chow mein and all that counted just as the entree so I could still pick up a couple of egg rolls as my side (or a salad or bread sticks if you chose). Dessert options were the same as at Luigi's.

Mel's has hamburgers, chicken and giant hot dogs/chili dogs (Nathan's brand, so they are good quality). Chili Cheese fries and also salads are available as sides. Desserts are mostly the same here and you can't get a milkshake on the deal but they will give you a chocolate sundae. My bf and I just had sundaes here to finish off our night.

Have a good time, we had fun even though nothing ever matches up to Disneyland! Hope this information helps!

• Functional & Decorative

My advice for USH is to do the lower lot as soon as possible. The lines will be non-existent for everything down there in the morning. If they are delaying the opening of the Lower Lot (which they sometimes do), do Back to the Future and the Tram Tour. But if you miss the Tram Tour early on, it will have slow lines after about 3 pm or so--well after you've finished the lower lot. (However, the lines for Back to the Future do stay all day, so if you want to do that, do it early--though it is a rough ride, IMO). Whatever you do, don't miss the Tram Tour... it is the major highlight of the park, and is a great 45 minute ride that you may want to do twice (it varies a bit depending on your tour guide)--so once in the morning and once at the end of the day are not a bad idea.

You shouldn't have much problem doing Knott's in one day. Don't miss the Chicken Dinner Restaurant outside the park in the Marketplace. Even if it has a long line, stay with it. The line actually moves pretty quickly, as there is a lot of seating inside. Only rides that have long/slow lines at Knott's: Ghostrider (do early in the day), Excelerator (slow loading means slow line), and Perilous Plunge (same). Other than that, you shouldn't have major problems.

I say go for Silver Bullit. It's quite smooth, and not as intense as it looks.

If you need any other advice, let me know. I live within 5 minutes of USH, and have a Pass, so I go all the time. My family lives near Knott's & Disney, so same story there. I love passing along tips, and if you need more and/or have questions, let me know.
    Last edited by JesterMn; 01-02-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Are the Special Effect Stages and Backdraft worth seeing, if pressed for time? Shrek 4-D?

I just looked on the site, and it looks like Jurassic Park will be closed while we are there. That looked like fun. So, now the big must do's consist of... Mummy, Back to the Future, Waterworld, Studio Tram Tour, Terminator 2.

I won't be going on Ghostrider, I've been on a wooden coaster before, twice, and it hurt so bad. I just bounced around everywhere. I walked off with so many bruises. I've read Ghostrider is fairly bumpy, too. Won't be doing Xcelerator either, unless I get freakishly brave, so that's only 1 huge slow line. Yay!

Knott's will be closed if it rains? Completely closed? Not just certain rides? That... sucks, to the say the least. That's what I get for going in January, I guess.

Looked on the USH site, and found nothing about the $10 wristband. Must be over. Don't think we'll spend $20, the normal price, so that gives us more freedom to eat places besides the 3.

Thanks for the info!

• Circle of Ancients

^ It's not 100% that Knott's will be closed in the rain ... but that certainly has been the trend for the past few years.

• Just Me

We didn't much care for Knotts. We did head to TGI Fridays (right outside the park) for lunch. It was great!! It made being inside the park much more tolerable with a few margaritas in the system. The Boy had problems with Camp Snoopy. The few rides he wanted to ride he was too tall for, the ones without the height restrictions were too babyish.

• Functional & Decorative

If you don't like bumpy rides, you may want to reconsider riding Back to the Future at USH. It's very rough.

I forgot another benefit of doing the USH Lower Lot first thing in the morning... the Mummy offers double rides until noon. That's quite a treat, since most people like the ride but consider it way too short. Now you can double the length of the ride! And if you don't want to ride again, you have the option of getting off. But again, USH only does this until noon.

$20 may sound like a lot, but remember, food at these parks are quite expensive. A meal for one can easily run $10 by itself. $20 for all day really is quite a deal if you expect to spend a day there. The restaurants offer a varied selection (I know one is burgers, one is pizza/pasta, and I think the other is Mexican).

If you've never been at a studio before, the Special Effects Stage show could be worth it. Again, you can do it early in the morning, when it's lines are much shorter. Backdraft is okay... pretty cool the first time, but doesn't hold up to repeat rides a lot. I think Shrek 4-D is only okay. The seats move a bit too much and are a bit too jarring for my tastes... but you can request to be placed in a non-motion seat.

I honestly didn't know about the Knott's rain policy... but I've never happened to be there in the rain. Never hurts to double check yourself, and see what they say.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

I'll have to keep checking Weather.com and hoping it doesn't rain.

I'm fine with bumpy rides, just not bumpy coasters. I think it adds to the feeling that I will DIE while on that ride, and I don't like that.

I didn't know about the double Mummy rides before noon. I'll have to remember that.

Thanks!

• CM for 4 years!

Umm I road Ghostrider about two weeks ago, and I must say that it hasn't stood well to the test of time. When it first opened, I was one of the ones saying "Wow, this is the smootest Woody I've ever ridden".... now? I thought I was going to bite my tongue if I didn't focus on keeping my teeth clamped shut. Oh man, what a migraine.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Umm I road Ghostrider about two weeks ago, and I must say that it hasn't stood well to the test of time. When it first opened, I was one of the ones saying "Wow, this is the smootest Woody I've ever ridden".... now? I thought I was going to bite my tongue if I didn't focus on keeping my teeth clamped shut. Oh man, what a migraine.
    Last time I rode it, I couldn't even scream. I opened my mouth and it came out as an "Urk urk urk urk urk" as we bounced down the track.

I go once or twice a year, but I usually try to spend as much time in classic Ghost Town as possible. Poke in all the diorama windows, ride the train and the stagecoach, see a gunfight, the stunt show and the saloon show, drink a sasparilla, poke in the shops, eat a boysenberry funnel cake, visit the school, pan for gold, ride the log ride and calico mine train, watch the blacksmith, etc., and before I know it half the day's gone. More and more I tend to mostly avoid the Boardwalk and Fiesta Village, only hitting a small handful of rides and a couple carney games there before heading back to the rest of the park, and yet I can always make a full day of it from opening to closing time while primarily staying on the south half of the park. True, every time I go there there's a little less to do (RIP Haunted Shack, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Bird Cage Theater, etc.), but I still don't understand the people who say they were only at Knott's for less than two hours and had done everything there was to do. Even with Cedar Fair giving it the Six Flags treatment, there's still so much more than just coasters. Well, people would spend all day there before there were any coasters, or when there was just Montezooma's Revenge, the Corkscrew and the Soap Box Racers, but now that they've added more coasters, there's the general attitude now that it's a coaster park, and once you've done them all, there's nothing left to do there. Odd that as they've added (theoretically) more to the park to attract teens, the teens in general now have the impression that there's less, because now they ignore everything that's not a coaster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast