Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Going to USH and Knott's For the First Time.

I'm going to be in Universal Studios Hollywood on Monday, January 15th, and Knott's on Tuesday, January 16th.

The monday is going to be Martin Luthor King day, I think. Or some american holiday. Anyways, it looks like businesses and schools close on that day. I figured that out of DLR, USH, and Knott's, if I had to go to one on that Monday, USH would be the safest, because it apparently has little repeat value so... less locals.

I haven't ever been to Knott's or USH, and have only been to Disneyland once, 6 years ago.

Now on to the questions.

Does Universal have good, fairly cheap places to eat in the park or do you have to go to... I think it's called CityWalk, and exit the park?

Is Universal going to be too crowded, considering it's a holiday? And will we be able to do most of the rides (not shows) in one day, for sure? We might have to go back early, and leave late, since we are getting transfers from our hotels.

For Knott's, it appears to have lots of bigger coasters, and... ergh. I want to go on them, since I don't know the next time I'll be back, if ever. What's a good looping starter? Silver Bullet is supposed to be good, but it looks large and extreme. I'm sure that coaster junkies think it's stupid, but I've never been on a large coaster. Just a few woodies, and Disney stuff. I've never been to DCA.

One of my biggest fears is not speed, or height, but not being restrained, the restraints popping open, or just the feeling that I'm going to fall out. It's not possible on most roller coasters. Right? Right?

I hope that's not too many questions. We're leaving in 2 weeks, so kind of last minute. We've only been planning since.. around 250 sleeps ago!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Going to USH and Knott's For the First Time.

USH does not have very interesting food - mainly hamburgers and hot dogs, some chicken and Mexican food places. All fast food kinds of places. Prices are about the same as other theme parks. Real restaurants are at City Walk.

I think you should be able to do all rides in the park even if it is busy - there certainly aren't that many. There are more shows and the backlot tour.

Can't help you on the Knott's coasters - they scare the bejeezus outta me!

• Why do you keep talking?

Haven't been to Universal since 2002 so I can't comment on that, but there isn't much ride -wise so you should be good if you get there early and not planning on any of the shows (Although I highly recommend Terminator 2:3D)

Silver Bullet is a GREAT coaster to start on, it's very gentle (well, as gentle as an inverted coaster can be) and Roller coaster are safer then cars! Most of the coasters have a secondary safety system, usually seat belts so your good on that respect. I think Xcelerator would be the scariest ride only becuase it only has lapbars and seatbelts, but it still feels (key word there) like your going to fall out. But it's EXTREMELY safe.

have fun and I hope you don't have to wait long for anything!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• A Pirate's life for me!

If you get there early in the day, take advantage of their "eat all day special" for $19.95. It includes a meal with side dish and dessert, and if you want more, get back in line and ask for it. It worked out real well for us on our visits this past season. It's at the most popular restaurants, Mels, Jurassic Park, the Italian one up top and I believe one other. They give you a wristband to wear all day. Just show the register CM the wristband and take your food. Drinks are extra, though.

Do the Tram first, to get that out of the way (after of course, the "walkthrough" ride of Van Helsing near the entrance). Most of the characters will be out early in the day along the street which will get you to the Tram ride. After the Tram, do Shrek and Back to the Future, then go down to the lower lot and do the Mummy ride, Jurassic Park and the Cinemagic secrets show. Back up top, do Terminator 3D and the Water World show. The rest is at your discretion. They'll give you a schedule of shows when you enter. Just be sure and catch Water World before the last showing, so you don't miss it.

I don't know if Backdraft or Fear Factor are working yet. They closed down for refurbishment a while ago. They weren't when we were there at Thanksgiving.

Have a Blast!

Oh, wow. Fast responses, and it's all very helpful.

So, Silver Bullet is good? That's good. I also read somewhere that Montzoomas Revenge is a good starter?

I don't know how long we'll be in the park, it depends on I guess the transfer bus that's bringing us, but if we get there early, and will be staying late, that $20 eat all day special sounds pretty good. Is it just for fast food places, or do they have carts that sell ice cream, and such?

Ooh, Universal has characters? I didn't know that. Does Knott's have Snoopy, and Charlie Brown? I love Snoopy, so I hope so.

Looks like we'll be following your schedule, Pirate Mickey, it hits everything that we'll want to hit. Does USH still have the ET ride? An aunt went like 10 years ago, and it was her favourite there.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just excited and planning a bit too much.

• Circle of Ancients

For a good starting looper at Knott's I would say Montezooma's first. It may look intimidating because of the launch but it's over very quick. Silver Bullet goes upside down 6 times, and although it's rather 'forceless' (and not very good IMO) it's long and can look intimidating. The best (and most intimidating) coaster at the park is Xcelerator. But it's a fun ride and shouldn't be missed.

USH on that day shouldn't be too bad. As long as you get to the park early you should be okay. Inside the park food, as was mentioned, consists of burgers and fast-food chinese for the most part. CityWalk has a good selection of restaurants from Italian (Buca-Di-Beppo), American memorobilia (Hard Rock Cafe) and seafood (Gladstones).

Also, Knott's constantly has deals to get into the park. Subway has a coupon for $27.95 admission through Feb. 26th.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Went to USH a few days ago, and Fear Factor and Backdraft were working just fine.

I highly suggest the all-you-can eat wristband, it's a good value if you stay most of the day.

Yup, Knott's has Snoopy and the Peanuts gang. Montezooma's a good starter too, it's pretty fast so it's over before you know it.

USH turned ET into the mummy so unfortunatly that's gone, The all you can eat sounds like a good deal.
    Zebrahead

Argh, it's too bad we already paid for tickets through the travel agent. That Knott's deal sounds good. But you could probably only get the Subway coupon in California, and I'm all the way up in Canada. So, probably wouldn't get one anyways.

I don't think I'll be doing Xcelerator, just based on the restraints. And the fact that it looks like it goes straight up, and then straight down. Plus, I've seen video of people stuck at the top, and rolling backwards, and eek.

Thank you all so much for the responses and help! Only 13 sleeps to go.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Glad to hear that FF and Backdraft are up and running again.

Mel's Burgers is your best bet for great burgers (their blue plate special), they also have onion rings, and shakes (they considered our shakes a dessert the day that we were there) chicken sandwiches, etc... The Italian restaurant next to Fear Factor is also very good. Lots to choose from. The rolling carts do not apply to the food special deal.

USH used to have a GREAT selection of characters. Sadly, the quantity has dwindled in recent years. Beetlejuice is a regular, as well as Tommy from the Rugrats, Shrek, Fiona, Spiderman and his posse, the Universal Monsters are becoming harder to find. We saw SpongeBob and Dora hanging together last trip. Also the Woodpecker.

USH hasn't had the terrible crowds like they used to. Most of time, we go on saturdays now, and it is not bad at all. Kind of sad, actually. I remember in the early 90's when it was the #1 attended theme park in LA (yes, more than DL). Those days are gone...

Enjoy! (and thanks! )

For looping coasters, the worst at Knott's is the Boomerang. Its pretty rough and is found at many other amusement parks, so if you have one to skip, that's the one!

Don't forget to ride the themed rides at Knott's. they are the Calico Mine Ride and the log flume.

• CM for 4 years!

The videos of people getting stuck at the top and rolling backwards etc. are not on XCellerator at Knott's, but on Top Speed Dragster at Cedar Point in Ohio. While both coasters are similar, the one at Cedar Point is approximately TWICE the height of XCellerator. You shouldn't have a problem on this one, ad it ties with Supreme Scream for me on best thrill of the park. But then, I love attractions which somehow involve the element of height.

At Knott's, don't do just coasters, stop for a moment and remember its history. This is really America's first theme park-- it opened a few years before Disneyland. Explore Ghost Town, look through their shops. There's a Calico Museum, of interesting artifacts, most of which are over 100 years old! Stop, and have some good old-fashioned rock candy. Pan for gold!

If you're there with small children, enjoy Camp Snoopy. It's celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year. Great little attractions, and maybe even an appearance by Charlie Brown (<3) or Snoopy.

Also, make sure to have dinner at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. It's a good old-fashioned meal-- fried chicked, mashed potatos, biscuits, jam, and dessert, all for about $15 per person. It's just outside the park, and you won't be able to miss it because of the line!

Other attractions of historical relevance to the park: Calico Mine Ride, The Santa Fe Railroad, The Stagecoaches, The Timber Mountain Log Ride, and finally The Mystery Lodge, which is actually a newer attraction/show hybrid the shouldn't be missed!

Knott's is a great park with a lot of history and although I do feel that its quality has slipped in recent years, it's still a great example of another kind of theme park, by another man with golden dreams, just miles away from Walt Disney himself. They just each built their own version of "out west".
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    The videos of people getting stuck at the top and rolling backwards etc. are not on XCellerator at Knott's, but on Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Ohio. While both coasters are similar, the one at Cedar Point is approximately TWICE the height of XCellerator.
    Sorry, but she's my baby... my temperamental PMSing baby... but my baby none the less.

I do have to agree with the rest though. Xcelerator still has the small chance of rolling back, but it doesn't happen that often, and it's a pretty fast ride so the truly scary part is over very quick. I recommend doing it once just to do it. The Log ride is a MUST unless it's down after being brought back from Elf mountain hell...er...Christmas, It was the first ever themed log flume and the second log flume in existence. Plus it's just fun and not too thrilling, but nor boring.
    Zebrahead

• Circle of Ancients

My 9 Year Old LOVES Xcelerator if that helps you any.

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    Xcelerator still has the small chance of rolling back, but it doesn't happen that often
    Umm... I don't think it's EVER happened. If you have any evidence of otherwise, please share.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast