• Circle of Ancients

Want to enjoy Knott's in the rain??? FAT CHANCE!!!

When Knott's new GM Gregg Picon started one of the things he mentioned was that because of complaints last year that Knott's would remain open in the rain.

Well, this is one New Years resolution that didn't stick. Knott's was closed today due to weather.

So just be aware that if you plan on going to Knott's this off-season, better be sure it's not raining.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Want to enjoy Knott's in the rain??? FAT CHANCE!!!

It's a shame that the GM would make a statement like that when he probably doesn't have all of the power to inforce it...

Maybe it was a combination of the wind and rain, making some of the rides unsafe to operate???

I don't blame the Parks for closing during inclement weather. People are too sue happy these days and the Parks have enough exposure as it is without figuring in poor weather conditions, which make the rides even more dangerous. Heck, even just walking around amongst the idiots that have a need to run to avoid the rain make it more unsafe for the masses.

I think that it is a catch-22 for the Parks. A balancing act between trying to keep the guests happy...and safe.

In a perfect world, we would have Parks that never close (and are never crowded!), but as we all know, we are far from perfect.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Smile Re: Want to enjoy Knott's in the rain??? FAT CHANCE!!!

We went earlier this year. Hadn't been in years. It was a windy day and when we got to the ticket booth, we were told all the roller coasters would be out of operation until and if the wind died down. No break on the admission price, though. We opted to go in and hope for calmer weather. By the time we had done all the stuff besides the coasters, they were beginning to bring the coasters back up and we were able to ride everything we wanted to in short order.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

six flags had also not even opened at the scheduled 10:00 am. because of the rain. They put a consturction sign down at the bottom of M.M. parkway.

• Circle of Ancients

Knott's is selling itself as a "Resort" with the inclusion of Soak City and their hotel (no longer the Radisson). IMO when you go away from just being a park (Six Flags) and enter ther realm of a "Resort" (Kind of like Disneyland) you need to be open no matter what.

The rides at Knott's can all be operated in the rain with maybe one or two exceptions. I have ridden Ghostrider, Montezooma's Revenge, Jaguar and Boomerang in ther rain at Solace a few years back. What makes that different that 1/2/06???

I mean, heck, at DCA every single ride was operating in the pouring rain on NYE. Screamin, Maliboomer, Mullholland Madness, Ferris Wheel, etc.

• What have I done?

Hmm strange... I do know that they have BAD flooding from when I work there. Every October without fail it pours and then floods. So it maybe for safety concerns as stated above.

"This guy!"

• Circle of Ancients

I'm sure it is safety concerns, but this has been happening for YEARS ... since Cedar Fair took over. Don't you think that a park that is 'supposedly' on the calibur of Knott's fix these types of problems???

The park certainly had no problem being open in the rain when the Knott's family owned the park.

• What have I done?

Another strange thing is when Haunt is going on they NEVER if rarely close those nights. So I dunno maybe it has more to do with finances. Is it more expensive to stay open in the rain? Or not? Speaking economically I would close the park as well. They wouldnt make as much as say Disneyland would staying open in the rain.

"This guy!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I'm sure it is safety concerns, but this has been happening for YEARS ... since Cedar Fair took over. Don't you think that a park that is 'supposedly' on the calibur of Knott's fix these types of problems???

The park certainly had no problem being open in the rain when the Knott's family owned the park.
    Why are you sure it's safety concerns? I'd guess rain=no attendance=no income so they shut down for financial reasons. They can't even pay their electric bills if they only have 1000 people in the park.

• Circle of Ancients

^ That's fine too ... but don't come out and say that you aren't going to close in the rain.

And just to be accurate ... the park never opened. How would they have known how many people were going to come???