• formerly very helpful

Anyone remember the Ponderosa Ranch near Lake Tahoe?

I just finished a trip to Lake Tahoe with wife and kids. One thing I remember from there as a child was the Ponderosa Ranch that was nearby, which closed a few years ago. The whole trip I kept thinking how much my kids would have loved it (and me, too).
    Have any memories or photos you'd like to share?

• formerly very helpful

Re: Anyone remember the Ponderosa Ranch near Lake Tahoe?

I guess nobody does....

My parents used to drag us there, i loved the sasparilla. not sure i consider it a theme park

• Embrace the kitsch!

^ It wasn't. That was where they actually filmed the series.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Hi: Yes, I do remember visiting the ranch a long long time ago. It was a replica of the ranch used in the TV series. I don't remember much what was actually there except for the house. They tore it all down quite a while ago.
    I do remember while watching the series cringing whenever the Chinese cook character came on, very stereotype.

• It's pronounced "treesh"

The first time I visited Lake Tahoe (about 1993), I saw the Ponderosa Ranch's entrance as we drove by and thought "Hey, that looks like fun!" But we didn't have time to stop on that trip. By the next time I returned, it was closed.

I just found this article with a few brief memories of the Ponderosa. There's also a small photo gallery. According to another article, the TV producers used the ranch to shoot exteriors for the series, but the rest was filmed in Hollywood.
    Cleverly disguised as a grown-up
    Did someone say pictures?!? http://triesch.smugmug.com

If I remember the story correctly, it went like this: The opening credits for the show "Bonanza" featured a map of Nevada, marking the location of Virginia City and the Ponderosa. The camera zoomed into the the map, which burst into flame and began the credits. The location was, of course, fake, simply created to give the show some sense of place. But when the show became a hit, people took it seriously and started heading to that spot on the map. The locals realized they were sitting on a potential gold mine, and decided to create a fake Ponderosa so they could profit from the sudden tourist influx. They got NBC to agree, and the stars of the show did commercials shot there, and the original idea was to film most of the exterior scenes there. However, it was too difficult a commute for the crew to make on a regular basis, so only a few episodes were actually filmed at the ranch. But it was popular as a tourist attraction, and remained open until 2004, when land prices were peaking and they got an offer to sell that they couldn't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    ^ It wasn't. That was where they actually filmed the series.
    They did do some of the filming for the series up there, but, most of the series was filmed at the Paramount Studios in Hollywood and at many of the movie ranches in the LA area that existed during the time the show was in production, including Disney's Golden Oak Ranch up in the Newhall area. Ponderosa Ranch was indeed considered a theme park, albiet a small, low key one. (It's taking all I've got to not write Paramount Ranch instead of Ponderosa Ranch, as I work with that movie ranch turned National Park!) The house at Ponderosa Ranch was a replica of the Cartright's home, which was on a soundstage. The ranch version was used some, but, mostly the exterior you see on the show is the soundstage one. Some Western facades at the ranch were used a little, but, mostly Virginia City was the Western Street at Paramount Studios.

The Ponderosa Ranch was on my "to do" list for several years because I'm really into filming locations. I also grew up with Bonanza. I finally went there on a California Road Trip that I did in 1989. The place had been spruced up for a tv movie, Bonanza the Next Generation, that had filmed there the previous year and was still in very nice shape. I'm very glad that I went there before it closed down. I was very sad when I heard that it was going to close. I have a couple of souvenir pictorials and a couple of souvenir tin cups from there. Some I bought there and some my mom ran across in thrift shops in Texas and grabbed for me. I have a few photos that I took during my visit, but they aren't scanned, nor are they stored at the moment where I can easily get to them to scan them to share.

Still use the tin cups that you could buy with the meals (or where they free?)

The Wikipedia page said the land was purchased in 2004 by a businessman that planned on building a new theme park on the property but he has not yet. It also said the property is still in tact

• Yeah...I'm cool

My cousins and I were just discussing this. I loved it as a kid, I had the tin cups up until the 90s. We would always go there in the 70's.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Fallapart in my Backyard

I went there about a year before it closed. After about an hour you had seen everything. Lots of old buggies and carriages and stuff from that era, knick knacks and tourist stuff all around and it seemed a little run down but that was ok. I remember the burger joint there where you could buy a "Hoss Burger" but it was a little on the expensive side so we skiped it. It was one of those places, been there done that will not be back.

• Doombuggy Rider

I sure do remember the Ponderosa Ranch (a shame that greed closed down this swell place) ... Royce Anderson, son of ranch founder Bill Anderson, said he decided to sell the ranch to billionaire software entrepreneur David Duffield because "land values are so high" (cough cough greed) even though 2004 was the busiest year they ever had (estimating that 250,000 people visited the Ponderosa Ranch during its seasonal April to September 2004 operation) ....

CJ

Name:  Ponderosa_Ranch_Incline_Village_NV_003.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  184.0 KB

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Hello Dolly.

Unfortunately when we tried to go they just had closed. =/

• Nerd

believe it or not, we knew the Andersons. My sister is best friends with Jillain (Royce's sister) They sold it for over $30 million dollars about 10 years ago I think. Not so much about greed as it was about bloody hard work keeping it up. If I had land in the mountains worth a bundle of cash and I could sell it and then travel the world, do other charitable work, enjoy the free life that money could provide. what is wrong with that again??? Would you really choose busting your tail day in and day out over true freedom to go about your life and set your kids up forever? I doubt it.

Greed (profit) is NOT a dirty word.
    Last edited by CMHusband; 07-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/