•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Calico Ghost Town, Bedrock City, Route 66 misc, Arizona and the Grand Canyon

Hello everyone out there! Basically, this will be a fairly unorganized jumble of photos, as we are still on the road and seeing the places listed above. Disneyland and Knott's will round out the trip, but those posted to their own sections. We are currently in Sedona, AZ, and neck-deep in touristy and western-nonsense.

So, without further ado, some photos from all over!

This whole trip was started down at Calico Ghost Town, formerly owned and refurbished by Walter Knott, and then given to the county of San Bernadino.

Walter and Cordelia Knott pose at the entrance to the town with the bust dedicated to the Knott family.

In addition, Calico offers a few peek-in scenes along the way still, so the creepy mannequin factor is quite high for those who enjoy such (as I do).

Always watching you. Staring.

Some more general photos:

There will be more Calico shots to come, scattered throughout. And now some general shots of varied subjects along the way:

When visiting the Lowell Observatory near Flagstaff (where Pluto was discovered), astronomer and founder Percival Lowell can be visited via final resting place, a mausoleum on Mars Hill near the powerful telescopes still used today.

Thanks for looking and more random photos to come! Hope these were enjoyed.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Calico Ghost Town, Bedrock City, Route 66 misc, Arizona and the Grand Canyon

Wonderful pictures! Its been many many years since I've gone to Calico. The last time my daughter and I were there it was actually pouring down rain. Needless to say we didn't stick around and see much... just dashing here and there between downpours.

Ah... the open road... the kitchy little roadside attractions with their crazy souvenirs... lost America at its best! Can't wait to see what other cool pictures you'll get on your travels!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Calico Ghost Town, Bedrock City, Route 66 misc, Arizona and the Grand Canyon

Thanks very much, Pengy! Calico is well worth visiting, but it does also get hothothot.

And the rest of the Calico shots:

Familiar to any Knott's fans, doubtless, as a version of this statue looms over the park entrance sign on Grand Avenue currently and used to sit at ground level near the entry gates.

Antique hearse

A collection of 'ghostly evidence'/unexplained photos taken in Calico in the waiting area for the Mystery Shack.

Next up we pulled into Williams, AZ after a very hot (118 degrees en route!) drive from Barstow. More to come yet after these few photos...thanks for looking!

Wow- I love the shots of Calico! I need to get back there again. I don't remember seeing the Mystery Shack, though.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Awesome! The original Mystery Shack at Calico made me dizzy and sick. Damn I'm a wuss!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

And now, on the road to the Grand Canyon....

Before getting there, however, something came up that was impossible to resist: the Arizona version of roadside attraction Bedrock City, based on the Flintstones cartoons (there is also one in South Dakota).

Bedrock City was fairly empty apart from some European tourists who seemed not to understand the point of the place, and a family who arrived as we were leaving. More weirdness for us and in a suitable, awkward, nearly-empty environment too!

The resident 'goatasauras'

Disneyland level standards, clearly

Inside the Flintstones Theater, you could sit alone in a dank and musty smelling room and watch electronically projected classic episodes of the show and feel overall very uneasy about the whole thing.

Oh, and then there was this guy, placed in a upper-level window of one of the buildings. Probably best not to know.

Thanks for looking! In our next installment, finishing up at Bedrock City, then finally (maybe) photos at the actual Grand Canyon.

​Wow- I need to take my husband to Bedrock City.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• "I Break Things"

It's unfortunate that you went Barstow to Williams... you missed Oatman AZ, and a "fun" climb through gold country and over the pass before heading down 66. You "could" meet up with the 40 at Kingman or you could keep going down 66. If you keep going, 18 miles outside Kingman is Hackberry General Store... worth a stop... and the next decent stop is Grand Canyon Caverns (which is worth an overnight tent camp if you're out there). Tink and I were going through our photos from a couple years back, printing up a photo book.

Bedrock was CREEPY when we were there. Other great stops included Monument Valley (worth staying at Gouldings), Walnut Canyon, Montezuma's Castle, Montezuma's Well, Canyon de Chelly, 4 Corners, Petrified Forest & Painted Desert, and the fossil walk outside Tuba City is fun if you're in the area (couple hours outside Grand Canyon on the way to Monument Valley).

Also... in Williams is Bearizona. For anyone who remembers Lion Country Safari (we're talking OLD Californians) they'd appreciate Bearizona!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

tech - we actually did stop a Seligman/old Route 66 today, and then went on to Oatman (currently staying in Kingman before back to CA tomorrow). It was worth the trip, definitely...we saw Bearizona but did not venture inside this time at least.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    tech - we actually did stop a Seligman/old Route 66 today, and then went on to Oatman (currently staying in Kingman before back to CA tomorrow). It was worth the trip, definitely...we saw Bearizona but did not venture inside this time at least.
    Grand Canyon Caverns is outside of Peach Springs... it's behind you at this point (about a 1hr backtrack give or take). I actually would have recommended camping there vs staying in Kingman (not a lot of options in Kingman). That said... the GCC tour is worth it if you're passing through there. The problem is it's a REMOTE part of Arizona, you don't pass through very often.

Grand Canyon Caverns

I do NOT recommend the motel... if you're going, camp it! The diner is cool, the gift shop is amazing, and the tour is worth the price! It's a MASSIVE cavern. At the least, take 15 minutes and backtrack to Hackberry if you didn't already stop on the way in. THAT is worth the time it takes to get there.

As to Calico, my great-uncle owned a store at Calico. He knew the last original tenant, and evidently knew Walter Knott as well. I learned about all of this last year AFTER we'd already visited. It turns out I snapped a photo of the kids in front of the store... and my Aunt saw it and commented that it was her Uncle's... random fate playing a role.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• DLR Enthusiast

We have a lot of weird/strange places to visit out here in AZ. Good to see you're puttin around the US bringing us fabulous pictures!

Thanks for sharing..
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook