Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• done

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    How can families truly afford these prices
    The same way they afford other luxury items. People go to the movies, go out to eat, buy books, buy DVDs, buy CDs, buy clothes they want as opposed to need, order cable TV, and a miriad of other things. It's just a matter of choosing what you spend your extra money on.

• e komo mai

Re: Magic Mountain now more expensive than Disneyland!!!

Too rich for my blood...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

But most of the parks are discounting now...

You can get into Knott's for $17 with a can of food in January.

SFMM has a bunch of 1/2 offers, including one online, so that is $30.

The "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" works out to $30 a day.

USH, you can get coupons that bring down the price to $40.

So if you do a little planning, you can save a lot of money.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

I just found it interesting that Six Flags just picked up Euro Disney's CFO... It happened awful fast too...

Things are changing at Six Flags, it is going to be interesting to watch what happens...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I am still wondering how it will effect my local Six Flags park... Like I said before... Marine World isn't even close to being in the same ballpark as Magic Mountain in any way... A $ 60 admission price would be insain...
    SFMW raised their prices $2 to $47.99 (or $29.99 online):

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/marine...nfo/index.html

Still the best deal in the Bay IMO compared to the $50 PGA was charging last year (the most expensive Paramount Park, yet has the smallest and weakest coaster lineup in the chain), which will no doubt go up in price this year as well (they have yet to list their 06' prices).

As for SFMM's price increase, as others have been saying on other boards, this could be a great thing. The past bad decisions of giving away the gate with free passes and discounted tickets/SP's made SFMM a local babysitter and teen hangout. Now that pricing has significantly increased across the board, this will hopefully help change the notion that SFMM is nothing more than a cheap babysitter for the locals to dump their kids off.
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jomo
    As for SFMM's price increase, as others have been saying on other boards, this could be a great thing. The past bad decisions of giving away the gate with free passes and discounted tickets/SP's made SFMM a local babysitter and teen hangout. Now that pricing has significantly increased across the board, this will hopefully help change the notion that SFMM is nothing more than a cheap babysitter for the locals to dump their kids off.
    I doubt it will make much of a change, for a local family, the Season Pass went from $50 to $60, and with a $35 add on for the water park, that is less than $100 for the entire year of visits. If you live close to the parks, I doubt that the $10 increase will make a difference.

And they are still offering 1/2 price single day tickets, that is $5 more than last year.

When Tatsu opens (looks like it will be May), they will do a big media blitz, and I presume have a discount coupon tie-in with a fast food chain.

• Minion

Yeah, what they really need to do and I'm hoping it will happen next year, is raise the price of SP's. Not Disney high, but passes should be equal to what other chains are charging. That will be the only way to curb the problem, $120-$150 range would be about right, especially considering all the SF parks you have unlimited admission to. Then they're not so dirt cheap, but high enough to deter being thought of as a cheap alternative babysitter.
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

I'm afraid to go to Magic Mountain because I'm afraid of getting stabbed or something.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jomo
    Yeah, what they really need to do and I'm hoping it will happen next year, is raise the price of SP's. Not Disney high, but passes should be equal to what other chains are charging. That will be the only way to curb the problem, $120-$150 range would be about right, especially considering all the SF parks you have unlimited admission to. Then they're not so dirt cheap, but high enough to deter being thought of as a cheap alternative babysitter.
    Other chains?? A basic AP is

SeaWorld is currently $53

USH is $55

Knott's is $115 for adults, $60 for kids and seniors.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    I'm afraid to go to Magic Mountain because I'm afraid of getting stabbed or something.
    What an OLD stereotype.... My biggest worry is a bunch of middle school groups in the park.

The park is quite safe, there is lots of security around, they do a good job of screening at the entrance (They actually check stuff, and your person, unlike the Disney version, which is basically just for show), and there is a Sheriff substation on property, just like Disney has an Anaheim Police substation.

I think you have a much higher chance of a stabbing at the House of Blues during some concerts at DtD than at any Six Flags park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Other chains?? A basic AP is

SeaWorld is currently $53

USH is $55

Knott's is $115 for adults, $60 for kids and seniors.
    Right, but with the exception of KBF, those passes are only good for the one park. Check out what others are charging for upgraded passes that include unlimited unrestricted admission to all their parks (which is what a SF pass offers):

SW's Platinum Passport: $147.00

http://commerce.4adventure.com/store...t_id=201#TC_SP

Paramount Gold Pass: $99.00

http://www.pki.com/shop/shopping_season_pass.cfm

USF Preferred Pass: $179.95

http://secure.universalstudios.com/w...egory=UOAPLive

This is exactly what SFMM needs to do, they can keep the cheap passes but restrict them to just SFMM with blackout dates like DL does, kill off summer weekends and holidays. Then charge alot more for an upgraded unrestricted pass good for all SF parks with no restrictions.
    Last edited by jomo; 01-18-2006 at 09:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12