Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• My prices are INSANE!

Cool Shuttle Endeavor @ The California Science Center (Pic heavy)

Greetings Mice Chatters

Long time no trip reports. LOL

This last Tuesday I was playing host to an out of town friend and we payed a quick visit to the California Science Center.
    My friend was a huge follower of the Space Shuttle program, so he was looking forward to this.

To see the Endeavor, you can go online and get tickets to see the Shuttle. The tickets are free and the only charge is for processing which is 2 dollars per ticket. They do this so the exhibit doesn't get over crowded. The times are broken up into 15 minute increments, and you also have a choice of ticket packages. There's an IMAX film offered with one of them but we just chose the Shuttle viewing without the IMAX movie.

With out printed out tickets in hand, we proceeded up to the second level and headed to the first part of the tour. One of the first things you'll see is the original landing gear on display, and you can actually touch the tires. Yes, your allowed to do it.

The next thing that caught my eye, and is probably the one question everyone has asked at one point or another. "How do you go to the bathroom in space?"

Well, this next exhibit answers that, with the actual toilet from Endeavor on display. There's also a video that explains how it works. It can get a bit graphic if you are sensitive towards such things.

Here are a few pics of the display.

There was the a few other exhibits that they had, but nothing as cool as the space toilet. LOL

We then headed downstairs to the Shuttle itself.

I have to admit seeing the Shuttle up close and personal for the first time is just awe inspiring.

And the ability to walk right underneath it and see the ship up close is definitely a highlight.

This is a spare engine, a back up engine you might say.
    The size of just one of these engines is impressive.

Another display they had there is what the future holds for Shuttle Endeavor. Plans are being made for a more permanent building to house the shuttle in. This is a model of what the Science Center plans on how to display the shuttle eventually.
    As if it's ready to launch on the pad, fully mounted on it's rocket boosters.

I highly recommend checking out the shuttle, as well as the rest of the Science Center. As well as the Natural History Museum next door. A very cool place to check out. Especially for the kids.

Thanks for stopping by and see you at Disneyland.

Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Re: Shuttle Endeavor @ The California Science Center (Pic heavy)

​Cool! This reinforces my need to go see her.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Team Hail HYDRA

im into the space program and have ben so busy its fallen back on my "to do" list
    great trip report

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Majestic....

That is the word that comes to mind when I see the photos of the Endeavor...wow!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Looks amazing. I saw the full-size mock-up at Rockwell in Downey in the late 70s so it will be interesting to see a real one after all these years.

• Quality not quantity

I thought I heard the plan was to display the shuttle with it's doors open. I guess that's not the plan now?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    I thought I heard the plan was to display the shuttle with it's doors open. I guess that's not the plan now?
    Atlantis will have its payload bay doors open once it goes on display. Each shuttle is being displayed in a different layout as follows - Discovery: landing, Atlantis: orbit, Endeavor: launch.

I'm hoping to get to the Science Center next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Atlantis will have its payload bay doors open once it goes on display. Each shuttle is being displayed in a different layout as follows - Discovery: landing, Atlantis: orbit, Endeavor: launch.
    ​I didn't know that! Thanks!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I saw the shuttle when my family and I where in California last December. It was an amazing machine. Even better, the museum also hosts a Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsule making for a great compare and contrast to the Shuttle.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

We saw it when it made it's crawl to the park, and was sitting out in the parking lot. Can't wait to go see it up close in person, meantime, thanks for the pics and the thread!

This is a fantastic display- finally made it down there! I was surprised by how short her wings are. I also learned that NASA offered to clean her up, but the museum said they wanted her as-is, dirty and scuffed and all.

She's quite a sight. Can't wait until they get her standing up! I never got to see one launch (other than on TV), but this will be fun since we will be able to get up close to the launch tower and all.

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    This is a fantastic display- finally made it down there! I was surprised by how short her wings are. I also learned that NASA offered to clean her up, but the museum said they wanted her as-is, dirty and scuffed and all.

She's quite a sight. Can't wait until they get her standing up! I never got to see one launch (other than on TV), but this will be fun since we will be able to get up close to the launch tower and all.
    It really is impressive to be able to see the Shuttle just feet from you.
    So impressive.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Oh, yeah, it's wonderful. You can walk under her!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

How cool! I went to the California Science Center last month and passed on the option to see the shuttle. But after looking at your report, I might have to rethink that decision...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Shuttle on back down there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast