• Joe Flowers

Joe's Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology Adventure - Pic Heavy

Am I a fan of the Indiana Jones movies? Please allow my 15 year old self to answer that. When I read 3IAlienKid's and Fishbulb's articles that an Indiana Jones exhibit would be coming to the Discovery Science Center, I knew we had to go visit.

This exhibit had previously been in Quebec and Spain, so if it's that well traveled, you know it has to be good.

To prepare, Theresa and I planned on watching all three, yes THREE, Indiana Jones movies. We started on Thursday night at 6:30pm, but Theresa didn't even make it all the way through Raiders of the Lost Ark. That's okay, I still stayed up past midnight to watch all of them. I'm really glad I did too. It made all the stuff we were about to see that much better.

We had never visited the Discovery Science Center even though it's just a few miles from Disneyland, so we weren't sure what to expect. Arriving at 11:30am on a Friday, the parking lot was already completely full and we were directed to an overflow lot. Uh oh, it looks like it's going to be crowded. I guess I wasn't really counting on the spring breakers.

For a general admission ticket to the Science Center it was $16 and the Indiana Jones exhibit was an additional $10. There happened to be a spring break all access ticket for $28 which included admission to something called Bubblefest XVII which was billed as "The Most Amazing Spring Break Event!" For an extra $2, why not give it a shot.

Throughout the exhibition, there were interactive displays. Everyone who visited got their own mobile device with headphones that would play video and give you more details about all the things you were looking at.

The first room started out perfectly. The classic Indiana Jones costume including all pieces he wore in the movie. (They could have found a better mannequin to pose it on though)

Time to go explore the first section! As you walked through, the displays were presented in the order the movies were released. First up, Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

The Chachapoyan Fertility Idol! The very first relic we see Indiana Jones searching for ever!

There are so many costumes and props from the original movies it's ridiculous! This is the costume Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen) was wearing during the pub brawl.

The headpiece to the staff of Ra. Once Indiana Jones found the map room in the city of Tanis he was able to use it determine where the Well of Souls was located.
    This is a warning not to disturb the Ark of the Covenant.
    What about the height of the staff? Did Belloq get it off of here?
    Yes, it is here... This was the old way, this means six kadams high
    'about seventy-two inches'

Wait!
    And take back one kadam,
    to honor the Hebrew God whose Ark this is.

The shot glasses Marion Ravenwood used plus the cigar box she kept her money in.

Not located in a storage warehouse in Area 51 in an unlabeled box. Instead the Ark of the Covenant is right here! How awesome is this!
    It's a transmitter, a radio for speaking to God.

The reflections in here are terrible! I've done my best to remove them when I could, but some are just too intrusive.

It's great to be able to get so close to see all the details.

Like the angels feet and toes.

The last display for Raiders.

It featured Rene Belloq's (Paul Freeman) Jewish ritual costume used during the opening of the Ark.

Including this ceremonial breastplate.

Plus the ram's horn staff.

With so much good stuff coming from the first movie, I couldn't wait to see what they brought out for the second.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) was my least favorite movie growing up. With a Thuggee priest who pulls out people's hearts and lowering people into lava, it was scary.

Inside are the remains of Nurhachi. First emperor of the Manchu dynasty.

The costumes worn during the opening act.

The tuxedo worn by Indiana Jones inside Club Obi Wan where he delivers the remains of Emperor Nurhachi to the crime boss Lao Che.

Willie Scott's (Kate Capshaw) stunning costume worn in the opening song Anything Goes.

Short Round's (Jonathan Ke Quan) costume, including his shoe blocks so he can reach the car pedals.
    Short Round, step on it!
    Okey dokey Dr. Jones. Hold on to your potatoes!

They have plenty of benches to sit down.

Yep, this is one of the pieces that was scary. Mola Ram's (Amrish Puri) Thuggee priest headdress. Made from bone, wood, and plastic.

A model of the mine cart used to escape the Temple of Doom.

Costume worn by Willie Scott when she was locked into a cage and lowered into the lava pit to be sacrificed to the goddess Kali.

The scrap of cloth Indiana shows Willie in Pankot Palace before he heads down the tunnel to the Temple of Doom.

What is Sankara? Fortune and Glory kid. Fortune and Glory.
    Three of the five lost Sankara stones. With these, Mola Ram planned to take over the world.

In my next post, we'll look at the third and final Indiana Jones movie, plus see Bubblefest!

•   

Re: Joe's Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology Adventure - Pic Heavy

Great pictures, great post. Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to your next.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Blog Entries

Enjoying this!

Great TR!
    For the love of Disney....

• Joe Flowers

The last and final Indiana Jones movie is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

We start by seeing the outfit Elsa Schneider (Alison Doody) wore in Venice when she first met Indiana Jones.

The next display has lots of great things to see.

We'll start with the objects that were in the collection of Walter Donovan.

Here's the illuminated manuscript. It explains the story of three of the knights from the First Crusade and their quest for the Holy Grail. It also speaks of a marker that tells where the grail is hidden.

This tablet is one of those markers. Unfortunately it's incomplete.

Henry Jones Sr. (Sean Connery) made a rubbing of the tablet.

And once Henry Jones Jr. (Harrison Ford) found the second knight's shield he finished the rubbing and discovered the Grail was hidden in Alexandretta.

The shield of Sir Richard? Yep, this exhibit has got that too.

Some closer views of the panels on the shield.

Chain and pin belonging to the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword, whose members are sworn to protect the location of the Grail.

Theresa is enjoying the next exhibit.

It happens to be the holy grail of all the exhibits, literally!

The painting above Henry Jones Sr's fireplace.

Another Grail painting in Henry Jones Sr's house.

The Grail diary that was so pivotal to the movie's plot. There are so many pages I would have liked to see in here, like the stained glass window sketch, Adolf Hilter's signature or the map to the Grail. It's odd they chose this page to display, which was only shown on screen for a second during Indy's flight to Italy.

Which one is the real Grail? Choose wisely. For as the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail shall take it from you.

This certainly is the cup of the King of Kings.

He chose poorly.

It would not be made out of gold. That's the cup of a carpenter.

And that's the Holy Grail.

And that was the end of the Indiana Jones exhibit. Wow, we've seen some pretty incredible props from the movies. The only thing I'd really wished I could have seen was the Cross of Coranado from The Last Crusade (which I'm told was in a previous display but there wasn't room here at the Discovery Science Center). The exhibit ends on April 21st so I really suggest you try to come visit this......

Wait....

What's this......

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Please say it didn't really happen. There couldn't have been a movie searching for magnetic alien bones.

We certainly wouldn't go halfway around the world looking for a professor who had gone crazy by staring at said crystal alien skull.

While being pursued by a Russian psychic.

One of the thirteen aliens that comes back to life when the skull is placed next to the rest of the body, cause that makes sense.

Follow the lines in the earth only gods can read

Indiana Jones certainly wouldn't be caught on the back seat of a motorcycle. I'm sure he'd rather stay and fight anyone than ride back there.

Because when I think of Indiana Jones, I always picture him in his professor's suit.

Posted without comment.

Ugh, it's over. Theresa would also like me to point out that she didn't even look at these items and preferred to sit on a bench instead.

All through the exhibit there were places you could interact with the mobile device you were given to find pieces of another artifact. There were 10 separate missions which ranged from identifying which of the two headpieces were the correct one, to locating symbols on the wall and using the proximity device in your device to tell you when you found it. At the end, what you found along with your name was displayed along with other adventurers.

Also at the end there were some fun displays to play with. There was a great weight guessing game with a fertility idol and sand bags of various sizes. When you thought you had it right you press a button and it lit up green if you were correct or red if you were wrong.

Guess who got it right on the first try?

There was also a Staff of Ra exhibit where you learned about diffraction.

Theresa is highlighting the top of this pyramid.

Plus they even had a sandbox that younger kids could dig through.

I keep seeing more and more of these automatic photo spots. This one posted to facebook, twitter or youtube, but wouldn't email a photo. I guess I'll just have to take a photo of the screen then.

Next we went to see the Bubblefest show. For only $2 extra on our regular ticket, we weren't expecting too much out of it, but we were pleasantly surprised.

When we were let in there was a guy in a lab coat who warmed up the crowd with various true/false bubble questions and bubble jokes.

We were told that all photos and video were forbidden during the show. Instead, I found a youtube video of Danny Yang, our bubble artist today.

And the finale was great! There were an insane amount of bubbles.

Our last stop was a strange model of the Endeavour. Good thing we already saw the real thing last year.

• Minion

Pretty awesome. I have prop replicas (best on the market of each) of most of these items... Awesome exhibition. Will share this thread over at the RPF as they'll eat it up.

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Pretty awesome. I have prop replicas (best on the market of each) of most of these items... Awesome exhibition. Will share this thread over at the RPF as they'll eat it up.
    Wow! I'm not sure how I missed that forum during all my internet surfing. I just registered and it looks like I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time looking over lots of cool pages. Thanks for the info whoever!
    Movie Props, Costumes and Scale Models | the RPF

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    Wow! I'm not sure how I missed that forum during all my internet surfing. I just registered and it looks like I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time looking over lots of cool pages. Thanks for the info whoever!
    Movie Props, Costumes and Scale Models | the RPF
    Be very careful... you'll end up with 2 maltese falcons, 3 Indy fertility idols, and other large expenditure items...and no free space left in your home...

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

As usual, thanks for sharing! Indiana Jones was always a favorite of mine while growing up. The third movie was always my favorite! And I have to agree, the fourth movie was horrible and it shouldn't be part of the exhibits! Yuck

•   

And to think, the last few months I've been driving by there just noticing the banner and not giving it a second glance. ...wow. I love the exhibit where you can transfer the idol and the sandbag. Nice!
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>