Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search underway for 2nd USA Legoland park

Nick Varney, the chief executive officer of Merlin Entertainments Group, the company that owns the park stated that the search is under way for a location for a fifth Legoland, the second in the United States.

Varney also said that long-term plans intended to make the park more of a vacation spot include hotels, restaurants and other amenities connected to the theme park. "We are particularly focused on Legoland California as Merlin's first venture into U.S.-based attractions due to the strong growth potential of the California market," he said.

See the rest of the story here:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-bn19lego.html

Really - the only place I can see them making a second Legoland is Florida. But all I can think of with that is them having to rebuild miniland each year after the hurricanes hit it.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Search underway for 2nd USA Legoland park

Thanks for the link. Great info!

They sent us an announcement for the Pirate Shores addition a few weeks ago (we're lifetime AP'ers there). Looks like fun.

Glad to see that they are investing into the Park.

• Banned User

Not sure if they can build in FL at the moment without closing their Downtown Disney Store... they have some kinda contract with Disney down here.

• Circle of Ancients

They have a Lego Store at DTD in Anaheim too. I wouldn't think having a Lego store would effect them building a park.

• Huh?

Well... there was that rumor long ago of the 5th park being a legoland. There's still a possibility that somehow that could've been remotely true... or not.

Go for AZ. They need a few more parks.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Not sure if they can build in FL at the moment without closing their Downtown Disney Store... they have some kinda contract with Disney down here.
    Do you know what the deal is? And who it is with? Lego does not own the Legoland parks now, so I wonder if that matters in any way.

But I can't see Lego making a deal like that - it would just tie their hands in a way that would be a terrible business deal for TLC (when they did own the parks).

But hey - there is no word on where a new park would be, despite the fact FL is the most obvious choice.

I read today's SD UT while pumping gas, but I didn't read any part about them creating a second park. I heard they were going to build Pirate's Cove, and then a new hotel which I would like to see. I mean there are very little hotels within the area apart from a Holiday Inn. And the area has a lot of places to see, like the Flower fields, beaches, Factory Outlets, and um well some houses and the freeway. They should think about fixing that closed Knights rollercoaster.

I wish they would make it more appropriate for adults. I'm 23 yo and from what I've heard I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    I mean there are very little hotels within the area apart from a Holiday Inn. And the area has a lot of places to see, like the Flower fields, beaches, Factory Outlets, and um well some houses and the freeway. They should think about fixing that closed Knights rollercoaster.
    What are you talking about? There is at least 5 hotels directly across the freeway and about the same number on the same side of freeway as LL.

Also, the only "closed Knights rollercoaster" that I can think of was torn down over a year ago and has already been replaced with a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom319
    I wish they would make it more appropriate for adults. I'm 23 yo and from what I've heard I wouldn't be able to do anything.
    You do know that it is a kids park right? Even with that - there is plenty for an adult to do. I am older than you are and am never at a loss for things to do in the park. You go in having a negative attitude then you will have a bad day. But at least give it a shot before you go wishing they would do something.

• Circle of Ancients

There are PLENTY of hotels within 5 miles of LegoLand. We have stayed down there I think 3 times.

Sure they aren't Mariott quality, but there is a Red Roof and a few other moderate types.

Ok, Ok I don't see that many, I don't know my away around Carlsbadexcept for the card dealership, wholesale flower mart, in n out, ......I live in the city, and I haven't been to LegoLand since the december of 2003. So I didn't know they tore down the knights coaster.

I guess there are a lot of hotels,
    I forgot about the Inns of America, Grand Palisades, and Hilton Garden Inn

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    Also, the only "closed Knights rollercoaster" that I can think of was torn down over a year ago and has already been replaced with a new ride.
    Was that the suspended one? Does anyone know why they got rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    Was that the suspended one? Does anyone know why they got rid of it?
    Yup, that was it. I have heard a few different reasons - the one I heard the most was that the company that made it went out of business and replacment parts became a problem. Also that insurance was hard to get for the same reason.

Is any of that true? Who knows... all I know is that I was talking in a much higher voice at the end of each trip!

The "I-Flyer" rollercoasters (Spellbreaker, the removed suspended coaster, was one of those) are possibly the most unreliable, maintenance heavy and costiest to operate rollercoasters out there!

Caripro, their maker went out of business in 2002-2003 when their parent company, Vekoma (the guys who did that Deja-Vu coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain), went under... Vekoma was eventually saved by the Netherlands government and a nautical equipement company, but Caripro died. The rights for their rides were bought by Hafema (german based water ride maker) and Premier Rides (they provided the coaster for Revenge of the Mummy). Paramount's Kings Island near Cincinnati, OH had a one track I-Flyer and they removed it this year.

What's interesting is that the I-Flyer was already modified and vastly improved by a US company called Setpoint. They did Pteranodon's Flyers at Islands of Adventure and 2... water coasters at Paramount's Carowinds near Charlotte, NC and at Hersheypark. Those 2 rides involves getting the coaster car through water sprouts, waterfalls, etc. Those on board have a 5 gallons tank of water they can dump on the people under the ride and those on the ground have water cannons to shoot at the people on the ride!

Sorry it was so long... but this is the almost complete history of the I-Flyer!
    Last edited by SpaceMTFan; 01-21-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMTFan
    The "I-Flyer" rollercoasters (Spellbreaker, the removed suspended coaster, was one of those) are possibly the most unreliable, maintenance heavy and costiest to operate rollercoasters out there!
    They said they are also bringing Spellbreaker 4D, I guess their first spellbreaker attraction wasn't such a success.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast