Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• no flash photography...

Re: Knotts Berry Farm Trip Report:

I found knotts to be dirty and I could deal with that, but as it got darker the crowd got rowdier...to the point where we didn't feel safe and we left before it got totally dark. we did enjoy the chicken dinner though..

I absolutely remember a time when you could spend all day at Knotts.

The glory days for Knotts were the mid-1970s. As a matter of fact, in 1976, they had special bi-centennial stuff going on throughout the year, with a newly-renovated Liberty Bell and Town Square. It easily made for an all-day destination with the well-developed Roaring 20s section (Corkscrew etc), and a more-extensive Fiesta Village.

As a matter of fact, according the placemat at Mrs. Knotts, ahem, for the month of July, 1976----Knotts Berry Farm overtook Disneyland in terms of attendance during that month. I don't know if that ever happened since.

Walter Knott was still alive in the 1970s, and they were giving Disneyland a run for its money back then.

• Disneyland Fan

Smile Re: Knotts Berry Farm Trip Report:

Wow, I actually went to Knott’s on July 4th, 1976. I was a teenager, and I told my dad that we should do something today because it was the country’s bicentennial. He asked me what I wanted to do and I said, “How about we go to Knott’s?” He said OK, and the family went to Knott’s for the day. It was a crowded day, but no more crowded than any other So. Cal tourist spot at that time of the year. It was an all-day park back then. That’s was the first and only time I ever remember my father doing anything spontaneous. I think you’re right, that was probably the most popular time for Knott’s, now the entire park is a ghost town, the only time the park has a large attendance is during its Scarry Farm transformation for Halloween, which is when it’s full of high school students. I still like the funnel cakes though.
    Last edited by rj1980; 03-08-2006 at 09:13 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Even in the 90's when they had the gastly WindJammer (that was never open) Knott's was an all day park. The park was run great, the employees were great, etc.

• Assistant Minion

I don't understand the contention that Knott's somehow has less to offer now than it did in the 1970's. There is far more to do now than there was then.

Granted some of the quirky, charming things they had then (Knott's Berry Tales, Wacky Soap Box Racers, archery range) are gone, but there are far more attractions now than then.

While no one in this thread appears to like coasters, the addition of Ghostrider was a major upgrade for the park; it's the best coaster in California, IMO.

Also, in the 70's there was no Camp Snoopy. If your group has kids in it under ten, you can spend quite a bit of time there, and the theming, while obviously not Disney quality, is pleasant.

As to how clean the park is, let's not kid ourselves. Knott's, under Cedar Faire, is just as clean, if not cleaner than it was under the Knott family. Knott's has never been spotless like Disney. It's always been grungy around the edges.

I'm 37, and Knott's in my lifetime has always been the "in-between" park, not as bad as the full scale anarchy of Magic Mountain, not as wholesome or family friendly as Disneyland. It's a good spot for teenagers, whether they are there to be rambunctious with friends or to have dinner at the Chicken Restaurant with Grandma.

Finally, how someone could ride Supreme Scream but be intimidated by Jaguar is beyond me. Jaguar shouldn't be rated a 4 or a 3, it's a one, easily one of the worst and most boring roller coasters in Southern California history. The Calico mine ride is more thrilling. The only risk Jaguar poses to anyone is the possibility of boring someone to death.

• Banned User

I can not wait to go on the ghost rider!!! I love Knotts, grant it it does not have as much as disneyland, but its still a fun day to be had. And I did not find it to be dirty, and when my son dropped his apple some one was there real quick to pick it up( and I was bending down to do when she swooped down to do it. So I see this place as a fun alternative to getting away from the buisy disney park for the day. we found the park to be a full day, so take your time and enjoy it all, we did.we loved the train, and every ride we could get onto ( except the big coaster)
    any one know what the cost of knotts dinner is during the week?

• love my friends

karla i think its the same as it is during the weekend.. I havent eaten there for a while, but I think it is about $11.00 (roughly) which includes appetizer (salad or soup) your dinner, dessert.. yummy pie.. and I think a drink..

I LOVE EATING THERE>. YUMMY

Friends for life

Quote Originally Posted by innerspacenut
    I don't understand the contention that Knott's somehow has less to offer now than it did in the 1970's. There is far more to do now than there was then.

Granted some of the quirky, charming things they had then (Knott's Berry Tales, Wacky Soap Box Racers, archery range) are gone, but there are far more attractions now than then.

While no one in this thread appears to like coasters, the addition of Ghostrider was a major upgrade for the park; it's the best coaster in California, IMO.

Also, in the 70's there was no Camp Snoopy. If your group has kids in it under ten, you can spend quite a bit of time there, and the theming, while obviously not Disney quality, is pleasant.

As to how clean the park is, let's not kid ourselves. Knott's, under Cedar Faire, is just as clean, if not cleaner than it was under the Knott family. Knott's has never been spotless like Disney. It's always been grungy around the edges.

I'm 37, and Knott's in my lifetime has always been the "in-between" park, not as bad as the full scale anarchy of Magic Mountain, not as wholesome or family friendly as Disneyland. It's a good spot for teenagers, whether they are there to be rambunctious with friends or to have dinner at the Chicken Restaurant with Grandma.

Finally, how someone could ride Supreme Scream but be intimidated by Jaguar is beyond me. Jaguar shouldn't be rated a 4 or a 3, it's a one, easily one of the worst and most boring roller coasters in Southern California history. The Calico mine ride is more thrilling. The only risk Jaguar poses to anyone is the possibility of boring someone to death.
    Supreme Scream is the least scary of rides in that genre-----Maliboomer being the worst, and I've done it many times before. Familiarity makes it less intimidating. They give you time to adjust, and it doesn't go upside down. I've never done Jaguar, and if they say it's a 4......I have to go with what they say.

Christmas should be very nice at Knotts, as they do have the Christmas crafts and Snoopy ice skating.

• Banned User

maliboomer? I went on that, it was not scary at all. in fact I liked it way better then tot! tot still scares me and I rode it 3 times.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    karla i think its the same as it is during the weekend.. I havent eaten there for a while, but I think it is about $11.00 (roughly) which includes appetizer (salad or soup) your dinner, dessert.. yummy pie.. and I think a drink..

I LOVE EATING THERE>. YUMMY
    wow thats cheap!! looks like a good placeto eat

I have been very disappointed in Knotts over the years. I spent a lot of time there when I was a teenager. My family always made trips there. I have noticed over the years, Knotts has become less and less "fat People" friendly. I am overweight and all the new rides can't accomodate me at all. It is ridiculous. Disney has always been precious to overweight people because I can ride everything there. Always have. I won't be trekking into other parks anymore. Disney will remain my number one.

• Rock Star Minion

Disney makes a killing on food sales. It would be foolhardy not to make attraction adjustments for the top revenue demographic.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by innerspacenut
    Yeah, it's about the slowest, most boring steel roller coaster around. It has been a few years since I rode it, but from I remember, it was about as tame as thunder mountain (and much tamer than space mountain or the matterhorn). The only reason I can see that someone might have a problem with it would be if they had a serious problem with heights. (whereas a ride like thunder mountain the track is on the ground, on jaguar it's up on posts in mid-air)

I miss the soap box derby ride. That thing was great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12