Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Knotts Berry Farm Trip Report:

COST OF TICKETS: $22.50 after 4pm on Saturday, and $22.50 after 4pm on Sunday.

HOTEL: Super 8 Motel, $61.00 for one Saturday night.

FOOD:

La Victoria Cantina: sides of refried beans, rice, and chips came to about $8.00

Chicken Express: 5 legs and mashed potatoes came to about $9.00.

Mrs. Knotts Chicken Dinner Restaurant: Sunday dinner of two pieces fried chicken, biscuits, soup, mashed potatoes and corn came to about $11.00.

RIDES AND SHOWS:

Saturday from 4-10 pm: Mystery Lodge, Camp Snoopy, Saloon Show, Stunt Show, Supreme Scream, Timber Mountain Log Ride (4 times), Calico Mine Ride, Calico Railroad, Sky Cabin, Butterfield Stagecoach.

Sunday from 4-7 pm: Calico Railroad, Saloon Show, Butterfield Stagecoach (twice), Bumper Cars (twice), Sky Cabin, Calico Mine Ride.

COMMENTS:
    I can't imagine buying anything but the $22.50 (after 4pm) tickets. There's not enough to do at that Park that would justify anything else. I have a heart condition, so I can't do most thrill rides. I got on Jaguar, but then didn't have the nerve to go through with it. They're labeling that a #4 "high" in terms of thrills, with #5 being "aggressive". I take that pretty seriously. If it was Disneyland, I wouldn't care, as I do Big Thunder Mountain, and Space, with no problem. It's Disney, you know they won't be too bad. But, this being Knotts......I wasn't going to take the chance, here. Just looking at Xcelerator, and Silver Bullet, I don't know how people do those.

Saturday night gets very rowdy, and very high school. The Park is virtually unchanged from the high point of the mid 1970s. What's changed are the caliber and class of the guests. (Go ahead and read into that anything you wish). In all fairness, I think it was just Saturday night rowdiness in general. Sunday night was nice. Still, the people make the place. And, if you call yourself a budget park, and emphasize only thrill rides, with nothing charming and upscale for the adult set........you know the kind of people the Park will attract. No surprises. The California Marketplace and Chicken Dinner restaurant are still upscale and charming, though.

They've let Fiesta Village go, a little bit, or are they simply remodeling? The Mexican food was not as good as I remembered it, and they don't have ground beef tacos. Just that chewy, shredded beef that I don't like. Loved the music in the bumper cars. Sad about the Roaring 20s, but the sign is still there.

Mystery Lodge was a complete waste. That's a fairly new attraction (1994?) and not one of the classics. Wouldn't go back to see that. The stunt show was too violent, but the theater itself is nice.

The only show I cared to see twice was the Saloon Show.

Knotts really isn't the magical, all-encompassing, total experience, Disneyland is. It's not as glamorous or upscale. I can't do thrill rides. It's definitely budget all-the-way. The Chicken Dinner Restaurant is still good with outstanding biscuits and suprisingly good chicken soup.

I would go back at Christmas to see their Christmas decorations.

!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Knotts Berry Farm Trip Report:

Sorry you didn't have the best time, but I pretty much agree with you.

Knott's is nothing compared to what it used to be.

You should have stayed on Jaguar, it's less intense than Space Mtn IMO. I put it on the scale of Big Thunder. If you can ride Supreme Scream, Jaguar is nothing.

I also agree about Mystery Lodge. People say such good things about that show, I just don't get it.

But, they labeled Jaguar a #4 !!!!! They put Sky Cabin at #2.

If Jaguar were a #3, I'd have no problem. That, and they had a sign right at loading, where it said heart problems. At Knotts, or Six Flags, I actually take those advisements pretty seriously. Disney, I'll take my chances. But Knotts and Six Flags are known to have the most violent rides, so.....

The reason why I'm ok with Supreme Scream, is because you go up so slowly. Your body has time to adjust to that level of height and pressure. I won't do Mali-boomer, because with that one, you have absolutely no time---you are just shot up out of nowhere.

TOT, is different every time, I think, and it's not that bad. Supreme Scream is ok for me, because they take you up so slowly and give you a bit of time to catch your breath and contemplate......while you're up there. Not that you can change your mind....but still.

• Banned User

well we are going here in April, hope to do most rides except the two major roller coasters, unless tempted. I look forward to it all. we loved it when we went in august 2003, but again it was our very first amusement park ever. Then to disnelynad where we could not stay as my son would not let us enter the park for more then a few hours. I am glad about the price lowering, and glad about the cotton candy going down, we will do all there is and probably be done in 4 hours, but that just gives us more time to play in disneyland
    also we loved this place and found a whole days worth, go on rides many times, and also eat great food! they have the real funnel cakes, not pre made and they have awsome chicken. I love knotts, maybe because we do not know any better, but I am glad those who dis it stay away, more rides for me to ride when the park is not full
    Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 03-06-2006 at 08:56 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

If Xcelerator is a 5 rating there is no way Jaguar should be a 4. It should be a 3.

• Functional & Decorative

And, if you call yourself a budget park, and emphasize only thrill rides, with nothing charming and upscale for the adult set........you know the kind of people the Park will attract.
    I have to disagree with the statement there is "nothing charming and upscale for the adult set". Ghost town is still tremendously charming, as has much more to see & do than even Frontierland, IMO. There are still numerous scenes inside the buildings, great architecture, a museum, replica schoolhouse, and cemetery, just to name a few. And I feel the Mystery Lodge show is one of the most thoughtful, introspective, and philosophical theme park shows I have ever seen. And if "philosophical" doesn't qualify you as upscale, I don't know what does.

Has it lost some of it's charm? I won't argue that. But I also feel it's managed to retain a lot of it, too. I don't think emphasizing thrill rides is what necessarily brings a "rowdy teenage market". Lower prices, maybe... but personally, I practically feel theme parks are getting too expensive anyway. Good for them to lower their prices.

And overall, I like their food way better than Disney's. I've always had a good meal at Knotts.
    Last edited by JesterMn; 03-06-2006 at 12:44 PM.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Look how violent Gadget's Go-Coaster is? I'm sure that's at least a #4. I had a very rude awakening on that one. And, there's absolutely no signs about heart conditions, whatsoever, at Gadget's!!!

So, I have to be a lot more cautious, these days.

I still have nightmares of a bad experience on the Corkscrew. I actually went on that as a kid, and sat in back.

That was when my fear kicked in, I guess.

[quote=JesterMn]
    [And, if you call yourself a budget park, and emphasize only thrill rides, with nothing charming and upscale for the adult set........you know the kind of people the Park will attract. /QUOTE]

I have to disagree with the statement there is "nothing charming and upscale for the adult set". Ghost town is still tremendously charming, as has much more to see & do than even Frontierland, IMO. There are still numerous scenes inside the buildings, great architecture, a museum, replica schoolhouse, and cemetery, just to name a few. And I feel the Mystery Lodge show is one of the most thoughtful, introspective, and philosophical theme park shows I have ever seen. And if "philosophical" doesn't qualify you as upscale, I don't know what does.

Has it lost some of it's charm? I won't argue that. But I also feel it's managed to retain a lot of it, too. I don't think emphasizing thrill rides is what necessarily brings a "rowdy teenage market". Lower prices, maybe... but personally, I practically feel theme parks are getting too expensive anyway. Good for them to lower their prices.

And overall, I like their food way better than Disney's. I've always had a good meal at Knotts.
    Yes, the Ghost Town is still charming, 'cept for the Blacksmith who was mean and shooing everyone away! Although, in terms of wanting to linger......to where you never want to leave......ala Toontown, or Mainstreet.....it's not quite to that level. But it's definitely nice---the Ghost Town, and you definitely want to return.

That's why I'm going back at Christmas, maybe, for a couple of days. I'm hoping they'll have the Christmas Crafts Show, like the old days.

I'm afraid the Mystery Lodge is lost on me.

• there's always my way...

I would say the only reason I would go to Knotts berry farm is for the funnel cake and the chicken house but since Im on a diet now.
    Ill go to DL.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    There's not enough to do at that Park that would justify anything else. I have a heart condition, so I can't do most thrill rides.
    While I don't have a heart condition, I agree with you that there isn't quite enough to justify a full day's trip, or a full ticket price for that matter. Even if you went on every ride, you'd still have hours left over.

Knott's was never designed to be a Disneyland, as Disneyland has always tried to be something completely different from other parks. That is the whole point of Disneyland. However, I have to admit that we were wandering around with very little to do when we went to Knotts. We found ourselves toddling off up the road to check out the shops and Hollywood Wax Museum before our shuttle bus came to take us back to Anaheim.

Even if you are a thrill-ride junkie, there is only so much you can do there. I just don't think the park is designed so that you feel the need to spend a whole day there. Sure some of the shows, such as the Navajo hoop dancing, were actually quite good. That's where Disney has the advantage - keeping you in all day, sometimes all week! Even Universal struggles to keep up with this unifying theme... (mind you that has two really long rides: the backlot and the escalators).
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Functional & Decorative

I'm afraid the Mystery Lodge is lost on me.
    Actually, that's okay... I know it doesn't resonate with everyone. It does take a certain state of mind to get it, I think.

As any Disney Employee can tell you, the general public is infamous for "checking their intelligence" out the door when at a theme park. They're so busy immersed in the atmosphere & have a good time, common sense frequently leaves them. We've all been there, myself included! That said, when you're confronted with a show that asks you to be reflective and thoughtful about your own life, it's frequently lost. I know the show totally caught me off guard for those very same reasons when I first saw it. But every viewing since then continues to remain fairly emotional for me. Okay, the effects are a little hokey, but the storytelling still strikes me as quite genuine.

As with any show, however, there will always be people who like it, and people who don't... each side with their own, compelling reasons. I just wanted to state mine. Anyone feel free to state your own opinions, contradictory or otherwise.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

We have to remember that Knotts was never intended to be an amusement park, but Ironically it turned out that way. If I am correct, Knotts was started because Mrs. Knotts chicken & Mr. Knott's fruit jams were in high demand. So to help ease the crowds, they opened up the ghost town and a few rides. Frome there it turned into an amusement park. I think that is one reason why it is not as good as Disneyland. Mr. & Mrs. Knotts probably never, at first, intended to create an amusment park. They just wanted to feed the hungry workers and travelers until the Knotts chickens & Jams became high demand by the public.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 03-06-2006 at 01:07 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

So you see, Walt Disney intended for his park to be what it is today. Walter Knott never even intended to have a park. So that is one difference as to why Knotts can never fully compete with Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn
    Actually, that's okay... I know it doesn't resonate with everyone. It does take a certain state of mind to get it, I think.

As any Disney Employee can tell you, the general public is infamous for "checking their intelligence" out the door when at a theme park. They're so busy immersed in the atmosphere & have a good time, common sense frequently leaves them. We've all been there, myself included! That said, when you're confronted with a show that asks you to be reflective and thoughtful about your own life, it's frequently lost. I know the show totally caught me off guard for those very same reasons when I first saw it. But every viewing since then continues to remain fairly emotional for me. Okay, the effects are a little hokey, but the storytelling still strikes me as quite genuine.

As with any show, however, there will always be people who like it, and people who don't... each side with their own, compelling reasons. I just wanted to state mine. Anyone feel free to state your own opinions, contradictory or otherwise.
    I feel I'm reasonably intelligent. I have a couple of college degrees. I read about 30 novels a year. I know all about stories and storytelling.

I still have no clue as to the point of the Mystery Lodge, or the emotional pull towards it.

I don't find it the least bit cute, delightful, charming, or particularly evocative.

I do like the Ghost Town, though.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I get people trying to tell me that I don't "get" Mystery Lodge too. I "get" what they are trying to do, I just don't like the show.

People get so attached to things that they can't understand when somebody doesn't like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast