Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Just this guy......

Re: Is Islands of Adventure worth visiting

IOA is well worth going once. If you like Roller Coasters, they you will be in heaven.

Blog Entries

That's what I'm curious on. We don't mind coasters like SM or EE, but anything that flips me around upside down or corkscrews or anything like that is out for us.

I was afraid that's all this park was and we'd not find anything to do. I'm glad to hear it doesn't sound like that's the case.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    That's what I'm curious on. We don't mind coasters like SM or EE, but anything that flips me around upside down or corkscrews or anything like that is out for us.

I was afraid that's all this park was and we'd not find anything to do. I'm glad to hear it doesn't sound like that's the case.
    The two main coasters, Dragon and Hulk, do a LOT of corkscrews and flips. However, the water rides are also a lot of fun. Also as others above have said Spiderman and Cat-in-the-hat are both great Rides. In Fact Spiderman is one of the great rides out there.... Not to be missed!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Definelty go. The Hulk and Spider Man ar worth it. It is a fun park. and I agree with Ni Tech- the water rides are a lot of fun in IOA. I like the Jurassic Park River adventure
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've only been to IOA a couple times but enjoyed both visits. I'm not big on water rides so I always skip those, but I love coasters... and IOA has 2 of the best ones ever out there (Hulk & Dueling Dragons). Still haven't had a chance to do Spider-Man yet (the line was too long the first time and didn't have enough time my 2nd visit). The theming of the islands is really awesome. I love how colorful Seuss Landing is (and the Cat in the Hat ride is really pretty cool). I definitely want to go again sometime.

• Minion

On my last 2 visits to WDW, we did day trips to USO and IOA -- I really enjoyed both - There are plenty of things non-coaster related to do (as refrenced in previous posts) but I felt it "completed" my trip -- Hope you get to go and have great time!!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    the Cat in the Hat ride is really pretty cool)
    I agree with this. However the ceiling has always bothered me and can ruin the atmosphere of the ride. If they put a themed ceiling on the ride, it would be perfect.

• Old Timer

Its worth the money, not Disney grade but its something like comparing apples to oranges. Buy the front of the line pass if its still available or book a room onsite then its included and also check for rehabs! Its no fun to get there and find out your favorite ride is down, Spiderman is absolutely the best ride ever,

period.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Aren't they working on finally opening that Monkey McBean/Sneetches ride in Seuss Landing (the overhead track that runs caross the island)? I saw a couple photos posted elsewhere online there's a construction wall up and a sign saying "Coming Soon in 2006" or something like that.

Blog Entries

I'm curious about the front of the line tickets. I've been told that you can stay in one of their hotels one night but then move somewhere else and you still get Fotl ability for the duration of your visit to Universal. Does this truly work this way or is it only for one day?

• In Technicolor!

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    I'm curious about the front of the line tickets. I've been told that you can stay in one of their hotels one night but then move somewhere else and you still get Fotl ability for the duration of your visit to Universal. Does this truly work this way or is it only for one day?
    Not exactly. However, the ExpressPass is good for both the entire day you check into your hotel and the entire day you check out. Your room key is the pass, so as soon as you check in at the front desk and dump your bags you can hit the parks. Same thing works in reverse on check-out day - dump your bags at the front desk and hit the parks for all day ExpressPass use. It's a pretty sweet deal!
    These are the games that never end.

• Mexihick, y'all

What a fun park! We went when it was raining and in January, so we were able to do everything by around 2 or so. It's definitely worth the money...all the rides are great! Make SURE you take a camera, I'm still kicking myself for not bringing one in.

Also, make sure you go on their Doom ride, it's Maliboomer, but with theming, making it great!

• Drunk On Disney

I would never go to Universal Escape (isn't that what they call the whole place?) and not go to IOA. In fact, I often skip Universal Studios and JUST do Islands of Adventure. Spiderman and Jurassic are both amazing and the Suess Landing and Toon Lagoon sections are really awesome to look at.

I am glad you asked about it. I have found with IOA (as well as DCA and other parks) that people see a rollercoaster from outside the gates and assume the ENTIRE park is only geared towards teen thrill seakers.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Theme Park Advocate

When I am in the Orlando area, which is quite often, I always make a point to visit Universal Orlando. I'll usualy stay on Disney Property but most of my time is at Universal.

Your discription of your group is identical to both my parents and one of my friends and his wife, the just don't do looping. (both groups also are not fans of getting soaked) The Universal Orlando Resort thrilled both groups.

There is so much at the UOR that is worth visiting that people have just not mentioned. For starters CityWalk, UOR's version of Downtown Disney, that is filled with life and some of the most unique and fun shops and restraunts. Apon entry of IOA there is much to explore with all the quirky shops that line the Port of Entry (heavly themed) which much like Main Street USA there are hidden treasures to be found and heard.

In Marvel Super Hero Island is one of the only two looping rides in the resort, the Incrediable Hulk. There are other fun things in the "Exteam" portion of the park that are not as extream such as Storm Force (tea cups), Dr Dooms Fear Fall (a shorter Supream Scream, oh an look for the impact craters around the attraction), of course spidy, and of note if you are a Marvel fan the Heros and Villians have their own parade and will gladly pose for photos.

Next off is Toon Lagoon where Dugly DoRights Ripsaw Falls is located along with Popeyes Bilgrat Barges, a fun although very soaking rapids ride. This island is an area much like toon town with funny archtecture and interactive props.

Rounding the bend is Jurasic Park where the JP River Adventure is located but also much over looked is the Pterydactal Flyers (must have kids to ride) and the Discovery center where you can scan dino eggs to see what is inside (dont forget to check out the nursery) and watch the DNA videos.

Continuing down the trail will lead you to the Lost Contient, the only other land with a Looping coaster, Dualing Dragons. The people I know that don't loop still enjoyed walking through this "Indy" style queqe and taking the chicken exit at the end. For the nonlooping there is the flying unicorn coaster adjacnt to DD (take note of the details, such a fariy wing collection and Unicorn foot prints). LC is another area with fun and querky archtecture, shoping, and some of the best amusement park dinning (Mythos). There is also for rides/attractions in this land Posidens Fury (basicly an highly themed indor and out Fantasmic) and the Simbad Stunt Show.

Seuss Landing is the last Island at IOA and contains all your Dr Seuss characters such as 1 fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (dumbo style), the Seusscille (carocel with Seuss characters), the Cat in the Hat (Mr Toads and Rodger Rabbit combined) and more. When in Seuss landing try the Goose or Moose Juice.

Just like IOA the original Universal Studios accros the way has much to offer. The Mummy is a thrilling ride that is no more extream than BTM but with thrilling FX. Men In Black is a defenate DO NOT MISS, this is what Buzz should of been with amazing theming, fun storyline, and quality AA's. there are of course the popular attractions such as Shreck 3D, Back to the Future, Animal Planet, ET (so much fun), Jaws, Earthquake, Twister, etc. But dont miss some of the little things like the Horror Movie Makeup Show (slightly off center yet "Bloody" fun) that takes a behind the sceens look at B-movie horror effects. Also not to be missed is the Blues Brothers performance over on the NY streets. There is so much to do at the UOR that is not just looping or extrem rides, but good old fun, exciting, family attractions.

Hope this was not too long and hopefully answers your questons. In fact next monday I will be at the URO, enjoying all that it has to offer.
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

Reasons to Visit:
    1. Spiderman (to re-iterate). There is good reason Jay Rasulo specifically referred to this ride when he visited with his family. It is technologically incredible with a solid (if questionable) storyline.
    2. Jurassic Park. The River Adventure is excellent. On a par with the Jungle Cruise (technologically superior but can be a little flat after a few trips). The Discovery centre is truly excellent.
    3. Psoiden's Fury. Nice show. Nice theme.
    4. The Queue of Dueling Dragons. Supposedly straight from the drawing boards for Beatly Kingdom at DAK. Immersive.
    5. Seuss Landing. Bright. Whimsical. Fun.

Reasons why I still spend most of my time in Orlando with Mickey:
    1. Hulk. Boring. No Theme. It may be smooth but what of it.
    2. Toon lagoon and Marvel Super Hero Island are all just flat comic facades.
    3. Dudley Do Right is dreadful.
    4. Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rate Barges would have been wonderful but it crosses the line on the wetness front.
    5. Dueling Dragons. Having enjoyed the wonderful line... be transported into a land of whimsy and... concrete. Stunning visuals of warehouses, concrete and steel columns make your battling mythical creature story line soooo convincing. Also the blood rushes to you feet - that may be a plus or minus dependent on your disposition.

There are sparks of disney-like genius in this park. Spiderman and Jurassic Park especially. Sadly the immersion, vision and 'magic' is destroyed by steel rollercoasters, carnival like games and poor ride experiences.

Summary: Defintely go... for Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Seuss Landing. If you get there sharp or get a Universal Express Plus pass you could do it by 2 to 4 pm. I spent 2 days in Universal on my last trip to Orlando (but I was there for 3 weeks).

I have to agree Men in Black is amazing over at the Studios. If they had just Spiderman and Men in Black I woul go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast