Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Race Car Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I've loved Sea World since I was a kid. But it seems a little dated to me now. The Orlando park really looks great. I hope they can make some of the same changes to the San Diego park. More of a Cape Cod look. Less concrete.

Do you work at the park now xfkirsten?
    Dustysage... We were there last year and we absolutly loved it.
    All the rides and all the animal shows... it was amazing.
    Would recomend it to anyone.
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy
    Now that's funny. I've seen the machines there but nobody ever uses them, unlike the ones over at Rapids which get constant use.
    That ALWAYS amazed me. I was a ride op on SR and when I was in tower 1 (the one by the water cannons) I would just be amazed at how much money people dropped into those things. I kinda felt bad for the ones who would try to shoot their friends/family and TOTALLY miss, lol. There was ths one guy who I swore he only came to the park to drop quarters in those. I would see him when I started the hour up there and he would still be there when my hour was up - shooting each boat that went by But he was good, lol with all that practice he is prob the best there ever was at those things - he was there quite often.

There was some wierd stuff that went on during my time there. Like when the sup dropped an electric wheelchair into the water or when somebody lost their fake eye in the water and we had to stop the ride so we could all look for it (yes we found it along the first straightaway between the flamingos and the water cannons).

A tip if you like flamingos - ask the worker at the front of the line, the one who measures the kids if you can go down the path to check out the flamingos. You can get VERY close to them, I do not know of a place anywhere that you can get closer to them. Just cover your nose - they can stink BAD. Also, the first aid and handicapped entrance is down that path, so it is not like you are aksing to go in a non-guest area.

Looking back at my time there I can say the only thing I miss about working there was getting the free beer each month and the other cool AB items (that always sold really well on ebay!). Oh ya - and watching those stupid seagulls eat EVERYTHING like rib bones and katsup packets

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    Looking back at my time there I can say the only thing I miss about working there was getting the free beer each month and the other cool AB items (that always sold really well on ebay!). Oh ya - and watching those stupid seagulls eat EVERYTHING like rib bones and katsup packets
    I'm still amazed at the amount of beer we get each month. Living by myself, it lasts a verrrrry long time.

I had one of those seagulls try and dive bomb me for my burger once at Shipwreck Reef... only to hit those little flag-holding cords string up all over the place. I didn't stop laughing for ten minutes!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I just found out today we may be making our first trek down to San Diego in June! MIL has a timeshare and wants to take the boys. I'd like to take them to the zoo, wild animal park, seaworld and Legoland.

The boys are 14(my little brother)10 & 6. Anything in particular for each age group I should be looking for?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    I had one of those seagulls try and dive bomb me for my burger once at Shipwreck Reef... only to hit those little flag-holding cords string up all over the place. I didn't stop laughing for ten minutes!
    I swear the seagulls are pure evil, and pure stupid at the same time lol. I would see them poop-bomb the boats ALL the time. The loved the little pathway just after the first set of water cannons. They would swoop down and follow a boat and drop away - I saw this countless times.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was when I was in tower 3, the one on the big boat by the waterfall in the middle of the resturaunt - there was this lady that was all by herself. She had just sat down to eat her hamburger and must have forgot something because she got up and went back to the resturaunt. Now, this area was 100% empty, nobody was even in sight other than her. Once she was out of sight two seagulls swooped in - one took the top part of the bun and the other took the meat and they took off just as fast. When she got back all that was left of her hamburger was the bototm bun and whatever stuff she had on it, lol. The look on her face was priceless. She had NO idea where her food went - there was nobody around that could have taken it. I got on my mic and said "Mam, the seagulls took your food - go back and ask for another plate". I think I scared her because she jumped when I started talking. That was ~4 years ago and I still laugh when I think about it. But the good thing is she got a new plate - and this time she sat in the main area with everybody else.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    I just found out today we may be making our first trek down to San Diego in June! MIL has a timeshare and wants to take the boys. I'd like to take them to the zoo, wild animal park, seaworld and Legoland.

The boys are 14(my little brother)10 & 6. Anything in particular for each age group I should be looking for?
    Ride-wise, I'd suggest Shipwreck Rapids. IMHO, it's more fun than the new Journey to Atlantis, and you get more wet.

For shows, of course you gotta see the Shamu Show, that's just a SeaWorld must. When they say you might get wet in the soak zone, though, they're not kidding. Some of the whales can get past the top row of the soak zone. I'm a fan of Cirque de la Mer, as well. It's kind of a Cirque du Soleil knock-off, done out on the water. Nifty, although it may be boring for the younger ones. We have the new sea lion show opening up soon, as well, but as I haven't seen it yet myself, I couldn't give you a reccommendation one way or the other on that one.

For exhibits: Rocky Point Preserve has the dolphin petting and feeding area, which is neat. They've re-done it in recent months, so there's a designated feeding area now. The dolphins tend to hang out there, and it does make it tough to touch them without buying fish. They also have a pretty good shark exhibit, too. For the most part, it's nicely themed to be tropical, and the tunnel at the end is pretty cool. Oh! And a lot of people pass this one by because it's a bit tucked away, but I highly reccommend the "Forbidden Reef" area, off the pathway behind the dolphin feeding area. They have a pool where you can touch the rays. Unlike the dolphins, these guys are fairly easy to touch without buying any food. There's also a walkway down to a cavern where you can see tons of moray eels.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    I swear the seagulls are pure evil, and pure stupid at the same time lol. I would see them poop-bomb the boats ALL the time. The loved the little pathway just after the first set of water cannons. They would swoop down and follow a boat and drop away - I saw this countless times.
    Note to self: wear a hat next time.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Ride-wise, I'd suggest Shipwreck Rapids. IMHO, it's more fun than the new Journey to Atlantis, and you get more wet.

For shows, of course you gotta see the Shamu Show, that's just a SeaWorld must. When they say you might get wet in the soak zone, though, they're not kidding. Some of the whales can get past the top row of the soak zone. I'm a fan of Cirque de la Mer, as well. It's kind of a Cirque du Soleil knock-off, done out on the water. Nifty, although it may be boring for the younger ones. We have the new sea lion show opening up soon, as well, but as I haven't seen it yet myself, I couldn't give you a reccommendation one way or the other on that one.

For exhibits: Rocky Point Preserve has the dolphin petting and feeding area, which is neat. They've re-done it in recent months, so there's a designated feeding area now. The dolphins tend to hang out there, and it does make it tough to touch them without buying fish. They also have a pretty good shark exhibit, too. For the most part, it's nicely themed to be tropical, and the tunnel at the end is pretty cool. Oh! And a lot of people pass this one by because it's a bit tucked away, but I highly reccommend the "Forbidden Reef" area, off the pathway behind the dolphin feeding area. They have a pool where you can touch the rays. Unlike the dolphins, these guys are fairly easy to touch without buying any food. There's also a walkway down to a cavern where you can see tons of moray eels.
    Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll defintely copy them down.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom

Sea World - if the line is long at Shipwreck you may want to pass it up. Basically, if it is past the second hut then try back later. The best time to go is during a Shamu show as this was the slowest time at least when I worked at that ride.

Wild Animal Park is cool - but it is S P R E A D O U T, so get some comfy shoes. The main benifit of the WAP is seeing the aminals in what is probally the closest way to see them in a 'natural' setting. And the WAP can also get very hot!

SD Zoo - A great alternative to the WAP. Make sure you check out the Pandas! Take the bus tour in addition to walking around. I have been to the WAP and Zoo many times - have had year passes to them for years and years - if I had to pick one to go to I would pick the zoo hands down. You just get "more bang for the buck" as the saying goes.

Legoland - we went over this in another thread right? I can't keep track lol. I love LLCA and go there more often than we go to DL.

Back to the Zoo for a second - it is in a place called Balboa Park. This is also a good area to check out. There is some neat things to see there - museums, gardens and stuff like that. I would say this is a great place to check out -- http://balboapark.org/ they also have a model train museum that our kids love to visit (also have passes to that lol).

Also - Seaport Village http://seaportvillage.com/ More of a tourist place, but still nice to hang out in. We like it when we see one of those huge aircraft carriers or other large military ship makng its way down under the bridge. Even if you do not see one at sail, you can see them across the harbor very well.

Oh, that reminds me - in the same area as Seaport they have the USS Midway. VERY COOL!!! Doing this and Seaport in a day would be a nice day trip. And if you have time you can check out the Gaslamp area, but you will not really be missing anything if you pass this up.

And June? That baseball season! The Padres have 18 home games this June! The new stadium is VERY nice, even if you are not a Padre fan the stadium is well worth checking out - and maybe the guys can spend a night at the ballpark. Everybody says it is one of the nicest parks in the bigs.

lol - what was this thread about again?

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    WOW thanks for all the info SoCalDude!! That's awesome!

Now I"m just waiting to hear if we got the timeshare and then I can plan plan plan yay!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

The Zoo is FAR better than the Wild Animal Park. So if you can only do one, do The Zoo.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    The best time to go on the rapids ride is between 11 am - 1 pm, the heat of the day. That way you'll get completely soaked, but it will still be warm enough for you to feel relatively comfortable.

Another great treasure, which does cost some but IMHO is TOTALLY worth it is the Behind the Scenes tours, especially the 2 hour "Star" tour where you feed dolphins, belugas, and the slimiest hoover-vacuum types of marine mammals, the walruses; as well as turtles (the only reptiles I can like) and pet some sharks as well.

I'm kinda surprised that others *cough*xfkristen*cough* didn't mention it.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    I'm kinda surprised that others *cough*xfkristen*cough* didn't mention it.
    Eh, I'm not a tours fan. I'm still bitter that SeaWorld caught on to the dirty little secret that us fans knew and took advantage of - Saturdays meant the Spotlight Tour went to play with the belugas, so that's the only time we'd do it. Now they charge you fifty freakin' bucks for the Wild Arctic Tour... no way... Ditto for the penguins!

any ideas what they'll be adding after the Sea Lion show?

and yeah listening to all this talk about what there is to do at Seaworld is making me wanna go again

that's the one thing I like about seaworld is I dont' feel as rushed as I do at DL and it doesn't matter when I go almost, I can come late in the day (which happens when your staying with cousins that don't like to get up till after 11:00 which is still considered very early for them) and still leave happy

the Sea Lions are my favorate and I love how you can walk underneath the shark tank or whatever that's always impressed me

Shipwrek rapids is great the best themed raft ride I've been on really

I haven't been on Atlantis yet but from what I've heard I'm a bit dissapointed

but yeah I'm listing off the average person stuff to do

you guys that have worked there or visit often really know your stuff I'm going to have to write some of this down myself for the next time I visit (which will probably be in another year or two, I only get one theme park a trip and two theme parks on extremely lucky trips, this year is a Disney year for me

• Circle of Ancients

My main gripe about JTA is the waterfall on the first drop. When we went on January it was 'supposed' to turn off before we went under. Well ... it didn't. Me and the kids were SOAKED!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast