Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 83
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,759
    Blog Entries
    3

    What's new at Sea World

    Sea World San Diego opened a new water ride last year, Journey to Atlantis. I never went. I was thinking of going this Spring, but my sister (who lives next to Sea World) told me not to bother. Did anyone go? What is it like?

    The artwork for it looked interesting, and they have one in Orlando, so it must have something going for it.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  2. #2

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    Well, I've been going on it since employee previews.

    My honest opinion? It's not any big deal. I think Florida's version was far better than ours. There's very little in the way of theming and scenery. The storyline is very hard to follow, although in recent months I believe they've turned up the volume on the speakers so you can at least hear the dialogue. It's fun, though I wouldn't make a special trip to the park just to go on it. I think the best part is that the Commerson's dolphins are finally back on display at the exit to the ride. They're adorable!

    I think the bigger draw at the park right now would be our new baby killer whale, and on March 19 we have a new sea lion show opening.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  3. #3

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,759
    Blog Entries
    3
    I've loved Sea World since I was a kid. But it seems a little dated to me now. The Orlando park really looks great. I hope they can make some of the same changes to the San Diego park. More of a Cape Cod look. Less concrete.

    Do you work at the park now xfkirsten?
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  4. #4

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624
    mmm

  5. #5

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    Yup! I work in the Entertainment Department.

    I think part of the problem with our Journey to Atlantis is that it suffered a lot of budget cuts duringr the course of the city council battles.

    Our SeaWorld is in the process of changing, though. It's very evident over towards the dolphin stadium area and Shamu's Happy Harbor. They're working on theming the park a lot better, and that'll be showing up more and more over the next few years as they implement the changes.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  6. #6

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1
    They are currently working on redoing the Sea Lion and Otter show at SeaWorld San Diego, and a new show is scheduled to start around Spring Break.

    They just torn down the original Shamu Stadium and the old Hawaiian Punch Restaurant in the North West corner, not sure what is going in there, might just be a general replacement of old structures.

    I like Journey to Atlantis, it is a long ride (about 6 and 1/2 minutes), has the only coaster elevator lift in North America (and the only other one is in Europe). They have enhanced the sound, and it is a fun ride.

    But what can you say about a park that gives you free beer except YES!

    (And they also offer free Beer School)

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,759
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    But what can you say about a park that gives you free beer except YES!

    (And they also offer free Beer School)
    I thought you graduated from Beer School years ago!
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  8. #8

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    They are currently working on redoing the Sea Lion and Otter show at SeaWorld San Diego, and a new show is scheduled to start around Spring Break.
    Yup, still on track for a March 19 grand opening. The sets look incredible! As for the show itself... well, I'll wait and see it before I make a judgement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    But what can you say about a park that gives you free beer except YES!

    (And they also offer free Beer School)
    Amen to that! They give you a fair amount of free beer at Beer School, too.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864
    Waiting till i turn 18 and go to SW orlando's... (what will orlando do next year.. this year is a new dolphin show..)

    I know Busch is giving more money to the parks for fixing up...and themeing.....
    BGT has been getting enhancments on themeing and a few other thigns over the last 2 years....

  10. #10

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,872
    what happend durring those city battles or what not? why didn't they want Atlantis to be an awsome ride?

    and it sounds good that they'll be adding to the themeing but will they be adding anymore rides or displays anytime soon?

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    248
    It had something to do with the height of the atraction or something absurd. I hear the next ride will be in about 2009. There is gonna be a brand new Shamu show summer 2006 though.

  12. #12

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapex
    It had something to do with the height of the atraction or something absurd. I hear the next ride will be in about 2009. There is gonna be a brand new Shamu show summer 2006 though.
    Yes, that was part of it. SeaWorld has a height limit of 30 feet since it is along the bay (the Skytower was grandfathered in). The new sea lion set opening in March had a lot of problems with that. If I recall, it generally sits right at 30 feet, and then part of it will rise before show time and be lowered back down after the show. Also, there was a lot of argument over the educational value of the ride. SeaWorld has to have a certain percentage of its attractions be primarily educational (I believe this requirement is also related to its being on the bay, but I don't remember for sure). There was a lot of argument over how JTA would affect that balance.

    Ideas for some sort of new ride have been kicked around, tentatively for 2008/2009 ish, but nothing's been decided yet. April 2006 will see the new Shamu show. This fall, around September, the Stadium will be shut down and shows will be moved to Close Up temporarily. The new set will be installed, and the stadium will reopen in November. A stripped-down Shamu Adventure will continue showing (using the new set) until the new show opens in April. 2007, they're looking at a new dolphin show, although that falls into the same category as the ride - very subject to change.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864
    orlando has it easy i guess... (prolly why they sold ohio.. not enough land and problems with wanting thrills at the park...)

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    248
    San Diego is on city property. What ever is dictated by the city, the whale jail must follow.

  15. #15

    • DL Fanatic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Posts
    703

    The Sad Facts of Honsety

    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Well, I've been going on it since employee previews.

    My honest opinion? It's not any big deal. I think Florida's version was far better than ours. There's very little in the way of theming and scenery. The storyline is very hard to follow, although in recent months I believe they've turned up the volume on the speakers so you can at least hear the dialogue. It's fun, though I wouldn't make a special trip to the park just to go on it. I think the best part is that the Commerson's dolphins are finally back on display at the exit to the ride. They're adorable!

    I think the bigger draw at the park right now would be our new baby killer whale, and on March 19 we have a new sea lion show opening.
    I saw JTA on the Friday of LAbor Day weekend and I've gotta admit I was disappointed. It has a great intro, cool finale, and no story in the middle whatsoever. You actually NEED people in line to fire the water cannons to make a part of the narration make sense.

    But I do understand that there were severe budget cutbacks that should not have been allowed to occur. (The orlando story looks a lot better) hmmmmm gears are turning.

    Also it is easy to make a ride educational, they just tend not become E-ticket rides.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. World Center Marriott To Offer First-Ever Walt Disney World Package
    By tjcjr in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM
  2. Preferred Side of EPCOT - Future World Or World Showcase?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:19 AM
  3. CURRENT STATE OF THE WORLD: Important Walt Disney World Poll!
    By General Grizz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 05:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •