Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

SoCal parks: Coasters for nervous newbies?

Hey everyone, depending on money and ride openings, I'm dreaming up a trip to SoCal for the future.

I must confess I turn into a chicken when it comes to coasters or rough rides. At DL, I've stood in line for BTMRR, Space, and Indy (not a coaster, even, but supposedly the roughest dark ride ever) and then chickened out when the car arrives. The only rides with any real sense of speed or drop that I've been on are Splash and Rocket Rods.

Since you can only really ride Peter Pan or Alice so many times, I'm trying to move up my tolerance for fast rides so that I can finally enjoy the reopened Space Mountain. My riding on Splash started because I found the small flume drops in Pirates to be fun, and I wanted more of that. I'm hoping the same will hold true for steel coasters.

Since I already know which of the mountain range are the tamest at DL (BTMRR, Fantasyland side of the Matterhorn) I'd thought I'd look for other parks in the region. I've never been to Magic Mountain, but there doesn't seem to be anything there for me. I'd like to go back and visit Knott's again, and I know they have a coaster called Jaguar that's supposed to bea good beginner's coaster with no loops.

Does anybody know of any not-too-scary rides for me to investigate?

Here's hoping I actually ride the rocket next time!

• -Going Retro-

Well Id have to agree Jaguar is most definitely one of the most tame steel coasters, in that area anyway. As an early teenager I was deathly afraid of rollercoaster's and nothing and no one could change that. In fact, several times I walked off once I got to the front of the line.

What finally changed how I felt was pressure! I was on a date with my then girlfriend (yes I had a girlfriend once) She wanted to go on the Big Dipper in Santa Cruz. So instead of looking foolish I went for it and ever since Ive loved every roller coaster Ive ever been on, except X at Magic Mt. Im just too old for that type of coaster!

Good Luck!!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    While at DL, you could start off kind of slow with Gadget's Go Coaster. It is a steel coaster. It may only last a short while, but it would at least give you the general idea of what the physicas of a coaster will feel like.

When I was still afraid of coasters when I was young, I would ride the miniature version of Colossus at Magic Mountain. From there, I worked myself up to the Gold Rush at Magic Mountain, then Colossus itself. I remember my first time on Colossus. I was really really scared. As a teenager, I loved all the coasters at Disneyland and Magic Mountain. Now, I will ride what I feel like at DL. Magic Mountain, well, I haven't been there since 1990.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Heh, okay, I'll give this stuff a try.

I'm not so much The Biggest Worrywart In The World, just that I never gave coasters a chance ever as my most common vision of them aren't the well-oiled machines at theme parks but the rickety old nightmares at the county fair, so once I finally figure out that I'm not going to die on these things I think I'll do just fine.

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

Well then, you'll probably want to stay away from any roller coaster shows on the Discovery Channel for a while.

When I was a youngun I loved roller coasters, but only if they didn't have loops. Seriously, I'm still afraid of heights. But I got onto a ride at Magic Mountain that I didn't know had a loop, and conquered my fear through a trial by fire, so to speak.

Actually, I kinda feel that all the roller coasters at Disneyland are tame, and was actually surprised that California Screamin' had a loop when it opened. But if you've gone through Splash Mountain, then there's probably not much worse awaiting you at the Disney coasters. Hold off on California Screamin' and the new Space Mountain until you're ready, though.

I know that no matter how many times people told me loops weren't so bad, I really had to experience it for myself. You're not gonna fall, like I always feared. Heck, I can even wear my glasses on them.

Good luck!
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

Progress

My first looping coaster was MM's Revolution. I figured if I could go on that than I could tackle Montezuma's Revenge at Knott's (still have yet to try that one). Colossus and Big Dipper are excellent woodies. The dipper's tamer than Colossus but that first trip in the tunnel is pretty exhilirating (sp?).
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• DL Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonnell
    Well then, you'll probably want to stay away from any roller coaster shows on the Discovery Channel for a while.
    I actually think those shows would help a lot because you're watching them in the comfort and safety of your own home and seeing it from the front car POV (which sometimes is the tamest place to sit on the train)
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

I avoided roller coasters like the plague until I was about 14 years old... I was aboslutely terrified! Then one day I just decided what the heck... and I went for it... and I've loved them ever since! They're a BLAST!

Sorry I can't really help you with the coasters of SoCA, though...

If you do go to MM there are only three roller coasters that are tame enough to start out on: Canyon Blaster, Goldrusher and Ninja (In that order). I think Ninja would be a good set up for Space Mountain. Although Revolution only has one loop, the ride has become terribly uncomfortable and sometimes painful to ride ever since they added the OTSR's from Viper. So skip that one.
    Jaguar at Knott's is nice and tame and a good starter.
    As mentioned earlier, if you've done Splash, that drop is comparable if not higher than most any of the drops on the coasters at DL.
    Only do what you are comfortable with, but sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and you just might be happily surprised with the results.

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    I actually think those shows would help a lot because you're watching them in the comfort and safety of your own home and seeing it from the front car POV (which sometimes is the tamest place to sit on the train)

Well, finding out how often the coaster wheels have to be changed probably won't help!
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• DL Fanatic

Knowledge helps

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonnell
    Well, finding out how often the coaster wheels have to be changed probably won't help!
    At least you know that they DO get changed. lol

• Rawr...

If you like FLUME drops.... try Jurassic Park at Universal Studios. Coolest drop ever!
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Minion

There's also the [Link to unauthorized site removed] at Pacific Park, definitely a family coaster:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig434.htm?picture=2

Since you live in NorCal, definitely get out to Bonfante Gardens and take a few spins on their 2 family coasters. Not too big or scary, and Quicksilver Express is hands down the best themed coaster in the state outside of DL.

• DL Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jomo
    There's also the [Link to unauthorized site removed] at Pacific Park, definitely a family coaster:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig434.htm?picture=2
    That looks almost identical to Logger's REvenge at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

• Minion

That looks almost identical to Logger's REvenge at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
    Yeah, and goes about just as fast too!

Also check out Legoland, great set of family coasters, all alot of fun (and no loops!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast