Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• A Pirate's life for me!

USH Fast and Furious is open

We enjoyed USH today and were surprised to see that the F&F show was operating on the Tram tour.

We were highly disappointed with the show, though. Basically, all that it turned out to be is two cars mounted on an arm like the new ride at LegoLand. The cars "levitate" up and down, spin around a few times, move back and forth a few times and that is it! (basically)

I took plenty of pics with my new digi camera, but don't know how to display them here on MC.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: USH Fast and Furious is open

Lisa and I saw the new Fast and Furious attraction and enjoyed it, especially the "Dancing" segment. Heck, it wasn't designed to be an "E-ticket", but just to replace the Dante's Peak minature set, which wasn't working for the last few years (not using blizzard fluid). I think the addition of the movie vehicles in front of the attraction, and the 2 minute show with the cars is a nice addition. Looking forward to seeing it again.

On the other hand, having Whoopi in seven segments is way too much!

More Giant Apes, LESS Whoopi! (You need to take the tour to get this joke...)
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

I guess our expectations (hopes) were higher, especially with all of the hype surrounding the "addition" to the tour.

We're going back to USH on thursday. Maybe now that we have seen it (and lowered our expectations) we will enjoy it for what it is.

And yes, way too much whoopi...

• ...TWO BITS!

Yeah, I saw video footage eariler. I was also disappointed. It's great they brought back the car display and it transitions into an attraction showstop for a sort of cars demonstration. From what I got from the video, looks like an explosion occurs sending the cars hurling at the tourists, then they dance in the air, and the end. LAME! Sad use of robocoaster arms.

In my opinion, they should have made a 2-4 seater robocoaster arms designed to look like you're in a car (similar to what you see now), and have it on a coaster track or stationary in Coke Soak area. Not only can guests see the robocoasters in action and still look over a great view of the valley, but they can ride the arms as well! The Incredibles attraction rumor for DCA is dwindling a bit, this would have been a good opportunity for USH to get ahead of Disney & have an attraction to compete with Legoland's. Have the cars "drift" over the cliff to make it REALLY exciting and be kinda similar to the new rides on top of Las Vegas' Stratsphere. Coke Soak & Hollywood Hoops is a waste of space.

Or have this robocoaster attraction branch out of the Starway's Apollo 13 photo op and have the track run alongside the mountain cliff...

When Fast & Furious is over and done with, they need to do something with this "new attraction". Maybe have cars moving on a track, spinning around and drifting past the tram (loud noise & smoke), lose control because of a water or oil spilled by one of the cars, then crash into each other into a small gas station area and explode... I think it could be possible. Say it's a demo for the tourists on preparing a car stunt/chase until something goes wrong.

OR keep the current F&F but make it indoors so you can't see the robo arms...

I think F&F is to sort of replace the collapsing bridge more so than dante's miniature. Because the new king kong miniature does that now. so hopefully Universal Creative is thinking of what to do next with the Collapasing bridge area. Also, the water is already parted for the king kong miniture. Something inside me feels the parting of the waters and king kong can still co-exisit . Guides could say "we'd love to show you a water level view of this king kong miniature, but I'm gonna need ur help to part the waters..." Don't even have to refer to the Red Sea.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 06-19-2006 at 10:03 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Still lost in Neverland

We went today, my sister, neice and I, and to be honest here, this little display to me is quite well executed. I had not seen any video of, but had seen the front part under construction a few weeks ago. When the tram drove through the arch and then formed a semi circle with the two cars ("Chaos" and "Damage" were there names) and then the explodins water spouts started and then the cars where hit and started smoking. The "road" they are sitting on explosed and sinks and the cars "fly" toward the tram and stop short of hitting it. Then they introduce the cars and they take a bow, then to show how smooth and intricate this new motion control system is they have the cars "Dance' to some music. I and my sister were impressed with this very short addition.

Everything else was working excepty the Mummies Return Tunnel. I don't much care for the new video portions and you are right, way too much Whoopie. I guess she will work for anyone these days.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Hey Lost Boy!

Sorry we missed you today (like we knew you were there!!! LOL). We were there on the Tram about 1:30. We had the gal that thinks she is Liza Minelli (sp) as our Tram Host.

After watching it a 3rd time, we kind of like it. We were just expecting much more. It's a nice addition to the Tram Tour, just not a main reason to go back to USH, but I doubt that it was designed to do that...

BTW-We're still waiting to hear from Club 33. You're still on our list.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I saw this thread and thought I'd post about likeing F&F and see my brother, Lost Boy, beat me to it. As he said we liked it. As a matter of fact I liked Universal today overall. The two times I was there previous to today, I was not overly impressed. But now with the crowds coming in, shows going on, characters around and them ramping things up for summer I have more positive vibes about the place. Guess I'll be using my free annual pass more than I thought this summer.

PirateMickey, we were on the tram around 11:45 and we had a young man. Don't know who he thought he was. He did some impressions, but they obviously weren't memoriable. He did a good job but nothing really great. I think the girl trying to be Liza Minelli would have been too much for me!

After the tour we had lunch at the Italian place and then went down to the lower lever and rode JP. They really have changed that final drop. The big T-Rex was working just fine and the boat really tears down the drop, but they have the ramp raised just enough that splash down doesn't soak the boat or the people on the bridge or on the sides, but it was just hot enough to be a nice ride. We then went up to the top level again and walked around, saw Grouch Marks who came over and talked to us and then while heading toward Waterworld I noticed that Marilyn Monroe now does a whole song and dance with a quartet of scantily clad girls in French Maid outfits, by her car. The other times I have seen her she has just driven around in the car, waved and talked to people. This time is was a pretty good song and dance. My sis and neice went on to Waterworld, but I left and went home. We had a good day. Sorry we missed you, that would have been fun.

I hope we get to Club 33 soon. I am dying to go there again.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Yeah, our Tram Host used the Liza M thing a little toooo much, if you know what I mean. Can we assume "obsessed"???

We left USH around 3 pm and as we walked out we saw Groucho in his graduation outfit talking with some folks in front of the Blues Bros stage. Marilyn was also there with her "tarts". Maybe that was you he was talking to! LOL So close, but so far...

Glad to hear that you had a great time. So did we!

See ya! (someday...)

We talked to Groucho in his Graduation outfit on the way over to check the board for the next Waterworld show. We were at the game area and took the long way around by Mel's Dinner to see what they were doing to the old stunt show area, and then we came upon the Marilyn Show around 3pm. I was standing off to the side, by the front of the car wearing my Mickey Jazz Club blue bowling shirt and Mickey brim hat. I bet you were right there but since we don't know each other by sight yet, probably were right next to each other. That is so funny.

There is sure a lot of work going on up there, expecially right at the start of the summer busy time. I was really surprised to see the scaffolding and painting and walls blocking things off, or covering work but still being open. Something that DIsney really doesn't do to that extent during the busy time.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    There is sure a lot of work going on up there, expecially right at the start of the summer busy time. I was really surprised to see the scaffolding and painting and walls blocking things off, or covering work but still being open. Something that DIsney really doesn't do to that extent during the busy time.
    I was surprised too! I thought it was a bit late to be starting any construction/facelift work. Then again, I thought maybe they'll finish it up quick (referring to the candy picture shop near Shrek photo op). They sorta did that with Animal Actors & Western alleyway. But I think they're still working on that AND they just started work on the AP process building & store between T2:3D & Animal Actors stage. AND they're still working on the Studio Tour entrance/queue. I always thought that sign was gonna break soon and hurt some one.

Hopefully we'll get some news of what's going on with the Wild West Stunt show. Hopefully the rumored Zorro show. It'd be nice to have a sword-fighting stunt show.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

And the sad thing about all of this is, that you can bet that NBC is watching what happens with Magic Mountain. You know that they just hate the Theme Park and would love to just shutter it and only have the studio. They really have no experience with running Theme Parks and it has been widely known that the execs have made it clear they hate it and don't want to deal with it, or the money for new attractions. I think that is the main reason we will never see the Spider Man attraction here. They have the room by taking out the 10 year old Waterworld Show, but they just don't want to spend the money.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Oh, just when you thought it was safe to trash your tour guide, thinking she would never find out about it...

Well I did.

Sorry, you didn't like how I admire Liza, but it's MY tour and it's MY gimmick. I'd like to see you out there give an hour long tour.

Have a nice day.

• Down Under without Nemo..

Quote Originally Posted by ushkid
    Sorry, you didn't like how I admire Liza, but it's MY tour and it's MY gimmick. I'd like to see you out there give an hour long tour.
    Good to see USH staff can take constructive criticism on board !

Still, who cares about the customers opinion. It's really all about the tour host's enjoyment, not the customer's, right?
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear
    Good to see USH staff can take constructive criticism on board !

Still, who cares about the customers opinion. It's really all about the tour host's enjoyment, not the customer's, right?
    Of course I can. And I care VERY much about the GUEST'S enjoyment. Everyone else likes my performance, and I don't think I go over the top with the Liza thing. YES I mention I look like her when she was younger, and that I was her stand in recently, but other than that, that's about it. And I do sing here and there...but I sing as myself, not trying to sound like Liza in no way shape of form. I promise! We do sound and sing very much alike. So maybe that's why some people say I "think" I'm her. I'm not. It's just a joke and Liza is my nickname around the Studio Tour.
    Anyway, I'm happy with what I do, and it always makes my day, when guests come up to me feeling inspired, they enjoyed my performance as well as my singing and children telling me they had the best time.
    That's truly, the only thing that matters to me, and at the end of the day I feel like I accomplished something. And I believe all of my fellow guides feel exactly the same. It takes a lot to get this job as a studio guide, we work our butts off out there 4 to 5 tours a day, the route changes daily and even hourly, be in complete control of the tour, even when things get bad out there, but yet, still manage to remain professional and keep a smile on our face.

Can you do the same???

Think about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast