Blog Entries

I've discovered why Universal Orlando doesn't compare to Disney

My wife and I were planning on going to Universal for our anniversary. Their website stated that rooms started at 129 a night for the Royal Pacific which seems to be a nice hotel, and with the monthly payment plan on the annual pass we could visit and go to the parks and citywalk for not very expensive.

So I called to book yesterday and found out that, unlike disney, the price on their rooms during the week fluctuate and that it would actually be 159 a night for most of the nights we'd be there and only 129 one night. They also neglected to tell me until I asked that they also charge 12 dollars a day for you to park even if you're an AP holder with free parking. So that comes out to about 130 dollars more than I was anticipating paying.

So I was very grrrd.

So now our plans are up in the air. I just thought it was bad show. If you're going to be connected to a resort, make your rates as simple as possible like Disney does. Enough of this fluctuating rates based on days.

If anybody can answer for me. We're now considering staying at the French Quarter resort at Disney property which would be slightly cheaper. I doubt we'll do any parks while we're there. So we'll basically be relaxing at the resorts and taking in the clubs, restaurants, and stores at both DTD and Citywalk. How does The French Quarter compare to Royal Pacific?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: I've discovered why Universal Orlando doesn't compare to Disney

Well I can tell you that the French Quarter is my personal favorite at WDW. I can't compare the two but I can direct you to a link that gives you some photos and reasons why I enjoy that resort so much.

I do think that was a little sly of them not to tell you all the charges that you would incur, however I do hope you have a fabulous vacation.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=17

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Just like Summer, French Quarter is my favorite as well. I have never been to Royal Pacific since we always stay on Disney property. I can't say enough about the FQ. Check out Summer's site, she says it all.

Blog Entries

I noticed it says you can rent boats, bikes, and take a horse drawn carriage ride around the resort. Is there anywhere where I can find out how much these extras cost?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    I noticed it says you can rent boats, bikes, and take a horse drawn carriage ride around the resort. Is there anywhere where I can find out how much these extras cost?
    Yes, look here for resort information and rates.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_po.htm

• Theme Park Advocate

When My girlfiriend graduated frome college we stayed in the Royal Pacific, and just for information sake a month earlier I had stayed at Port Orleans (Arcadia), and found the Royal Pacific to be absolutly wonderfull, this is what I always wanted the Polynesian at WDW to have been like. I have some friends who will only stay at Royal Pacific or Portifino Bay when in orlando. I truely adore how Royal Pacific has it's own shuttle ferry all important locations in the resort (much better than the loud, rough, and waste of time boats at WDW resort). Also of mention anywhere you want to go in the resort you can take a Pedi-cab for free. One last thing, being a hotel guest gives you those extra express pass capibilites that are so worth it.
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: I've discovered why Universal Orlando doesn't compare to Disney

Different rates for different days is very common with hotels. If it's a city like San Jose catering to business travellers, rates go down on weekends. A place like Las Vegas, they go up.

Disney does only change rates for seasons, but if you check for a week on the day before the rates drop, you will pay the higher rate the entire week (unless, of course, you check out and check back in or something like that). And special discounts may not be available for every day of your stay either.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Monorail Racer

Yes, it's definitely very common for rates to change for different days. I would imagine that the average length of stay for the Universal resorts is shorter than the average length of stay at the Disney resorts. Just a guess, but I think it's probably true. So that may have some effect on things as well. There are some definite advantages to staying at a Universal hotel, just as there are some for staying at a Disney hotel. I believe Disneyland's resort hotels charge for self-parking on a daily basis (the Mickey and Friends parking structure?), but I'm not sure that they waive it if you have a DLR Premium AP or Delux AP With Parking privileges.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster
    . I believe Disneyland's resort hotels charge for self-parking on a daily basis (the Mickey and Friends parking structure?), but I'm not sure that they waive it if you have a DLR Premium AP or Delux AP With Parking privileges.
    You don't have to pay to park in hotel lots if you are a guest of the hotel. Guests to the Parks or DTD would pay to use hotel lots.

I don't know if APers with parking privileges are allowed to park in hotel lots, they may just be limited to certain lots or the garage.

• Banned User

Actually, the parking fee is included with your room price at all Disneyland Resorts, and even if you don't have a car, you still pay it. It's part of the resort fee that is added on to the room price. The only free parking for APers is the garage.

As far as hotels giving you the same rate the entire stay... I've traveled all over, and the only hotels I know that do that are Walt Disney World Resorts. Even out in Disneyland they don't do that. WDW has some very guest-friendly (or un-friendly if you're charged the higher rate the entire time) policies.