Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Now Playing....

Re: Anyone remember this place?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheodore
    Seaworld used to have pearl divers too,where the forbiden reef is now.I bought a oyster,they valued the pearl at $21.
    I loved Japanese Village and Deer park!!! I liked the karate show second only to the geisha girls! I miss the Alligator Farm though, and Cars of the Stars and Planes of fame. Buena Park usta be pretty cool.
    I usta work for Movieland Wax Museum.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: Anyone remember this place? (Japanese Deer Park)

Last edited by Uzmati; 07-18-2006 at 06:37 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Yeah...I'm cool

Was this the one with the Creature from the Black Lagoon in the cave?

I remember Japanese Deer Park vaguely, I had a poster in my room from there for a long time. And then it become Enchanted Village for a little while before closing. If you were going south on I-5 towards Knott's and DL, you'd get off at the exit before Beach Blvd. and it would be right there.

There's a Farrell's for ice cream in the Mountasia area in Santa Clarita, but they have an actual restaurant in the San Diego area. We went there for my daughter's birthday last year while we were out there. Brought back memories. I went to so many birthday parties at the one in Woodland Hills. I think I was more excited to take her there for her birthday than she was!

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey
    Was this the one with the Creature from the Black Lagoon in the cave?
    That was after it became Enchanted Village. I remember that show, it was some sort of cross between a Tarzan like guy and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I remember Lion Country Safari there too, I think we wore out the jeep ride. I rode it with my cousin and the ride operator said we'd been on it enough and couldn't go on it again. So when we got off the ride, I took my glasses off and we went on it again, sure I'd trick him. But he let us ride it again anyway. There is still a Lion Country Safari near West Palm Beach in Florida. And a Marineland near St. Augustine, Florida.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus
    That was after it became Enchanted Village. I remember that show, it was some sort of cross between a Tarzan like guy and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I remember Lion Country Safari there too, I think we wore out the jeep ride. I rode it with my cousin and the ride operator said we'd been on it enough and couldn't go on it again. So when we got off the ride, I took my glasses off and we went on it again, sure I'd trick him. But he let us ride it again anyway. There is still a Lion Country Safari near West Palm Beach in Florida. And a Marineland near St. Augustine, Florida.
    Oh yeah, Enchanted Village? I remember that place also, and I have some pictures as a young kid there. They had an "Island of Dr. Moreau" stage show, and a petting zoo, according to my pictures.

So Deer Park became Enchanted Village, became...?

• Neep meep beep

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    So Deer Park became Enchanted Village, became...?
    I did a Google Satellite search and it appears to be a parking lot. ("They tore paradise down and put up a parking lot")

I remember the Deer Park, Alligator Farm, Busch Gardens in the Valley, Lion Country Safari, all that stuff. And don't forget Marineland where some of Pirates 2 was filmed. Just read in the paper that the last of Marineland has been torn down. The land is being used to develop a resort called Terranea Resort.

I have pictures of me at the Deer Park and I think Lion Country. I will try to find them, scan them in and post later.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Since this thread has been revived, to repeat from my earlier post...

octhen.com

Pictures, history of these and other Orange County bygone landmarks.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• I met Walt Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl
    I did a Google Satellite search and it appears to be a parking lot. ("They tore paradise down and put up a parking lot")

I remember the Deer Park, Alligator Farm, Busch Gardens in the Valley, Lion Country Safari, all that stuff. And don't forget Marineland where some of Pirates 2 was filmed. Just read in the paper that the last of Marineland has been torn down. The land is being used to develop a resort called Terranea Resort.

I have pictures of me at the Deer Park and I think Lion Country. I will try to find them, scan them in and post later.
    I'm curious what parts of Pirates was filmed at the old Marineland? I use to love that place. Never really liked Sea World.

• Hug a Billy

octhen does have great photos.

I found my photos. These were taken in September 1969. I was 20 years old, younger than my daughter is now

This was my attempt to take a photo of the entrance.

They had lots of water, ponds and fountains.

You could buy food to feed the deer. This is my Mom and me.

I always got a kick out of this photo. My Mom freaked out because she had run out of food and the deers thought she was hiding it from them.

My Mom and me again in front of some Japanese building. We dressed up to go to places. Back then we always wore dresses and nice shoes.

These is me back in my prime I even had my hair all fixed up. I think I had it done up because I was in a wedding around that time. I slept with toilet paper wrapped around it for several days to keep it looking nice.

So that is my little pictorial input to the Deer Park thread. I found some Lion Country photos but they are too generic. It has gotten me started at looking at old photos. I found some slides of the Long Beach Pike back in the early 70's. I'm not too sure how well they will scan. I will have to fool around with that. Many of my slides and photos still look pretty good, color wise, because they hardly have ever seen the light of day. Of all things, though, I have little to none taken at Disneyland back in the early days.

• Still lost in Neverland

I remember The Japanese Deer Park, the Alligator Farm, and all the other places mentioned here. Our dad, Wendy Girl and I that is, did not take too many still pictures, but a lot of 8mm movies. We have very little of Disneyland in the early days but some 8mm film still survive and it has been transferred to video tape. We recently found one small 8mm read that dad took and the 1964 World's Fair and are going to have that transferred to tape as well.

Deer Park was a nice place to visit, but I don't remember it having any rides at all. It was a deer Park and had pools and rivers with Koi, but I just don't remember the rides. It used to be very close to the offramp to Beach Blvd. which had since been moved a little. As I got older, I got tired of the Deer Park as there really wasn't that much to do except feed the deer and fish and watch a couple of shows, which were interesting. We used to go to Knotts a lot and always walked across the street to see the Alligator Farm. I was fun to watch the guy wrestle the gators.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    I remember The Japanese Deer Park, the Alligator Farm, and all the other places mentioned here. ...It used to be very close to the offramp to Beach Blvd. which had since been moved a little. ....
    Lost Boy, is that the offramp from the 405, or the 22, or the 91?

• Hug a Billy

Lost Boy is here with me (his sister) and he says "none of the above. It is the offramp from the 5". The exit off the 5 was weird he says. You got off on Beach but had to back track to get there.

• Still lost in Neverland

What I was trying to say, is just like now, you take/took the "Beach Blvd." off ramp but you were really on Firestone, I beleive. You make a Left turn and go up to Beach (about 1/2 mile or so) Turn right and go down Beach South. The offramp was a little different way back then, but the idea was the same. A lot of offramps out there are like that. They name the big street, but you actually get off on another street and then have to go up to the named street. Sometimes it was very confusing.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast