There have been ALOT of questions regarding in what order you should go to the coasters at SFMM, do I need Fastlane, how does Fastlane work, where to eat, etc, etc, etc.
So I figured I would start a thread to hopefully answer most, if not all of those questions.
This plan is for "Coaster riders" and does not take into account children of non-riding height or age.
Getting into the park:
Once inside the park:
- Purchase your tickets prior to going to the park either on-line at http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicm...nfo/index.html this will not only save you $20 but it cuts one line out of your day
- If at all possible avoid going to the park on a Saturday. If you can only go to the park on a weekend Sunday is the MUCH better day.
- Eat Breakfast. This CANNOT be stressed enough. I know you will be riding high speed thrill rides and may not want to, but if you don't you will regret it.
- Arrive at the park NO LATER than 9:30am (the park opens at 10:00am)
- If at all possible try to avoid taking any bags inside the park (purses, backpacks, etc). This will help you getting through the metal detectors. There is also 'usually' a "Guests without bags" line that is much faster than the normal lines but there wasn't one last Sunday. Also the lines furthest away from the parking lot are usually the least crowded.
- Once inside the metal detectors try and find the shortest line to get into the park. This can be tricky as the lines are not clearly defined. (again this is why you should get there EARLY so you can get towards the front of the line).
- Look around at the coasters you can see. You will be able to see X, Viper, Tatsu and Goliath. Try to see if they are testing yet. This will be important once you are inside the park.
- RUN (don't walk and don't stop anywhere else) to X. The ride is only running one train right now and can get waits up to 3+ hours. If the ride has not yet began testing (remember, you checked it while waiting to get to the park) skip step 1 and go straight to Step 3.
- Ride X
- Head straight for Tatsu. The line will probably be 30 - 45 minutes at this point (if you rode X). It's also at this point where you need to decide if you want to use Flashpass or not. If you choose to do so the Flashpass center is located at the front of the park near Revolution and the Lockers.
- Ride Tatsu
- Continue up to Samurai Summit. If Ninja is running take a ride.
- After Ninja continue to Superman: The Escape. This is a nice air-conditioned queue and station. Ride Superman
- Walk back down the steps from Superman passing Gold Rusher, take a left and pass Jet Stream. Head into Cyclone bay and go to Deja Vu. IF the ride is running use the Single Rider line. It moves VERY quickly and you should be able to get on the ride in about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Ride Psyclone (if you must)
- At this point it should be about 12:00 or 12:30. Take a break, grab a snack (I'd recommend something that is store bought, not hot food) have a Coke. Browse the shops in Cyclone Bay while taking a breather.
- Head over and check the line for Jet Stream. If you are so inclined take a ride. You will get somewhat wet.
- Across from Jet Stream take a ride on Gold Rusher and Spin Out if you like spin n' pukes.
- Head across and check the line for Riddlers Revenge. If the line is too long this will be another point you may want to use Flashpass. If you did not get Flashpass before riding Tatsu there are a few stores in this area that also sell Flashpasses. You can also skip the ride for now and come back to it later.
- After Riddlers (or not) you can ride Tidal Wave, Bumper Cars and play some Midway games on your way over to Gotham Backlot.
- Once in Gotham take a ride on Batman The Ride. The ride loads pretty quickly and shouldn't be too bad.
- Ride Atom Smasher or Grinder Gearworks in the area if you wish.
- After Batman bypass Colossus and Scream (for now) and head for Goliath. I know the store under Superman sells Flashpasses so if you didn't get them before and you need them, you can get them here.
- Ride Goliath.
- By this time it should be between 3:00 and 4:00. You are probably getting pretty hungry.
Unfortunately I can't in good conscience recommend any eating establishments at Magic Mountain. I wish I could because it would make your day easier. If you don't feel like leaving the park the ONLY place is Mooseburger Lodge which is up by Log Jammer. The reason I am saying to wait until now to eat is because the lines for food shouldn't be as bad now.
If you take my advice (and I sure hope you do) you should leave the park to eat.
Eating establishments in the area:
The other reason I recommend eating outside the park (aside from the prices) is the portions. A Cheeseburger meal at the park is $11.99. We went to the Chinese Place on Sunday and for 4 of us it was $30. Plus it was enough for Lunch and Dinner. Which is also why I say eat late. You don't want to take the time to have 2 sit-down meals. Have snacks throughout the day, 1 BIG meal and snacks in the evening. Then if your hungry when you leave, go through a drive-thru.
- Wendy's. Right down the hill next to the freeway entrance., it can get busy.
- Del Taco, Tommies, Jimmy Deans, Starbucks, Jack in the Box. Go down the hill, make a Left on the Old Road. You will cross a bridge and 1 signal. They are all on your right hand side.
- There is a mall about 2 miles from the park. Just keep going on Magic Mountain Parkway and you can't miss it. It will be on your right.
- On the way to the mall there is a shopping center with an Elephant Bar, McD's, Cold Stone and a few other places to eat.
- There are a few other places that are not as close. In N' Out is on the Lyons Exit (heading south on the 5 from the park) as well as a Denny's, Carls Jr, etc. There is also a GREAT all you can eat Chinese Food/Mongolian BBQ place at this exit. If you wish to try it post it on here and I will get you directions. It can be tricky.
By this point if everything was running you should have ridden all of the coasters in the park. Walk around and ride anything you wish to ride again or anything that has short looking lines. Rides that load the fastest are Scream, Batman, Tatsu, Goliath, Ninja and Gold Rusher.
- If you ate in the park it should be about 4:00 by now, if you ate outside it may be about 5:00.
- Once back in the park you won't want to go on anything to fast or intense at first. I recommend Revolution. It's in the front of the park, not too fast and loads pretty quickly.
- After Revolution head over and take a ride on Viper.
- After Viper head back down past the entry plaza. Take a look at the Goliath line. If it's not too bad and you want another spin, go for it.
- After Goliath head back towards Gotham but take a right and head down for Colossus and Scream. Both rides load pretty quickly and you should be able to get on both with no problems.
- If you did not ride Riddlers Revenge earlier then take a ride.
If X wasn't open at park open plan:
As for rides that are better after dark I have to recommend Superman and Gold Rusher.
- If the park closes at 10:00 they may close the line to X at about 8:00. If you want to make sure you get to ride I would say get here by AT LEAST that time.
- Be prepared ... you are about to wait in a very long, slow moving ride. Buy a couple of cokes, some chips and make sure you use the potty before getting in line.
Flashpass (edited to add comments from Trintara):
Loose articles (Thanks again Trintara):
- Flashpass Costs $15 for 4 tickets ($20 on Saturdays)
- Rides that are available differ from day to day. Rides NOT included are X, Superman and Deja Vu.
- At each ride there is a seperate entrance for Flashpass mostly near the exits. Some of the Flashpass entrances are a little tricky, if you have trouble find an employee and ask for directions.
- Each person needs a Flashpass ticket to ride. So if you have 4 people in your party it will be $15 for each ride you use Flashpass on. Example: 1 person = 4 rides, 2 people = 2 rides, 4 people = 1 ride.
- The rides I recommend you use Flashpass on are Tatsu and Riddlers Revenge. Most other rides either don't offer the Flashpass or load pretty quickly therefore eliminating the need for them. So if there is 2 of you paying an additional $15 to bypass the lines on Tatsu and Riddlers is worth it IMO.
- There is no set time for Flashpass tickets. Just simply go through the Flashpass line and give the operator your ticket.
- They say the rides vary from day to day but in reality, they just alter the order on the little paper they hand out with it day to day. Goliath was recently taken off. For more info on this, mosey to the thread titled "Does SFMM offer a type of 'fastpass'?
DO NOT CARRY ANYTHING ON RIDES LIKE TATSU OR X! ANYTHING! NOT EVEN IN VELCRO POCKETS! NOTHING! Part of working at guest relations means running the lost and found. The most common thing to lose is a cellphone on Tatsu and while we do find a lot of them they don't come back looking pretty. People also lose their keys and end up hanging out with us for two hours after the park closes hoping they will be found. Do not chance being one of these people. Bring a roll of quarters and USE the lockers at the entrance to these rides, even if all you're sticking in there is your cellphone and keys. Please. I beg of you.
If you have any other questions or specific questions post them here. I'm sure if I can't answer them, somebody can.