• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Hard Rock theme park breaks ground in SC

Groundbreaking Held for Rock 'N' Roll Park

Thu Jul 13,11:35 AM ET

Yahoo News

With rock 'n' roll music blaring and a sand sculpture of music legends as a backdrop, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford walked off the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour bus on Thursday and helped break ground for the Hard Rock theme park here.

The $400 million project is expected to add about 3,000 jobs to South Carolina's coast after the park is completed in the spring of 2008. Construction on the somewhat questionable investment begins just months after the beach town's most popular landmark, the Pavilion Amusement Park, announced it would close this fall.

The Pavilion had been a landmark for more than 50 years while other surrounding parks struggled to find success. Hard Rock Park developers said they won't follow the path of other failed ventures here.
    "There's a big difference" with this project, Sanford said. "Money talks. ... These guys have the money in the bank." One of the key investors is Africa Israel, an international investment company run by diamond mogul Lev Leviev.

Sanford, Hard Rock officials and investors gathered in front of "Mount Rockmore," a sand sculpture of Elvis Presley, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon for the ceremony, using Gibson guitars with silver shovel heads to turn over the dirt.
    http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...281570000.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Hard Rock theme park breaks ground in SC

Sounds like a cool place.

I'll have to put it on my list of "things to do"!

Thanks.

• Happy Memories

I read about the sand sculpture earlier. I'm hoping to find some pics online somewhere.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Posted on Thu, Jul. 13, 2006

Operators maintain theme park will be built

Groundbreaking party for Myrtle Beach tourist attraction today

By DAWN BRYANT

The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News

Hard Rock Park

Martin Durham gets tired of hearing the same old questions about the Hard Rock Park.

Durham, the park’s operations manager, can’t go anywhere in Myrtle Beach without running into skeptics.

Many Myrtle Beach-area residents question the validity of a major theme park after several false starts with developers who couldn’t pull off their plans, most recently the Timberland Properties Inc., or TPI, park at the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base.

Durham has spent a lot of time trying to quash concerns, reassuring naysayers that the $400 million park — touted as the largest single tourism investment in South Carolina — will greet its first guests in 2008. The bumps in the road, mainly delays caused by struggles to get enough money, are past, he said.

“We are officially turning dirt,” Durham said. “It took four years to put it together, but it’s all worked out for the best.”
    Durham hopes today’s flashy, Hard Rock-style groundbreaking party — complete with a three-story sand sculpture — will help settle lingering questions.

By year’s end, those curious about the park will be able to stop by a center on the property to view a model, Durham said.
    The Hard Rock Park, the first theme park using the popular rock ’n’ roll brand, will outsize Carowinds, the 108-acre park that straddles the Carolinas border near Charlotte.

Others aren’t convinced that the Hard Rock Park can pull off a year-round operation in a place that lives at the mercy of the summer season.
    TPI also had a groundbreaking event, but filed bankruptcy and never opened a park after much hoopla in the late 1990s.
    Then there’s the question: Is the beach ready for a major theme park?
    “The easy answer is we are about to find out,” said Brad Dean, president of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce.
    “You’ve got to get bulldozers moving and bring it to fruition ... All fingers are crossed that it is going to work well.”

STILL A MYSTERY
    Much about what will go in the Hard Rock Park still is a mystery.
    The park will have 40 attractions in six zones, including a roller coaster, restaurants, stores and an amphitheater.
    But officials haven’t given details or released recent renderings.
    What bands will lend their names to rides? Which musicians will play at the amphitheater? How much will tickets cost?

The developer, HRP Myrtle Beach Operations LLC, isn’t saying.
    Regardless of what goes in it, the park is the kind of new attraction the Grand Strand needs to bring more crowds and give repeat visitors something new to do, said Gary Loftus, director of Coastal Carolina University’s Center for Economic Development.

“If Disney was showing up there would be skeptics out there,” he said. “I think they are all lined up and ready to go. With the Pavilion closing, the timing could not be better.”
    http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...l/15025988.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Monorail Racer

Haven't seen any yet, but hopefully there will be some online soon. I'm not sure it's going to succeed, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with. I was sorry to hear the Pavilion was going to close when they announced it. I'd been there many times.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Circle of Ancients

Wow, never even heard of this. Sounds like it could be a nice stop between Six Flags Over Georgia and Carowinds.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    I read about the sand sculpture earlier. I'm hoping to find some pics online somewhere.
    </IMG>

• Circle of Ancients

• Banned User

nice slide show