Blog Entries

What is Busch Gardens Tampa like

I know that Busch Gardens in Virginia was recently named the best theme park in America, but what is the one in Tampa like? It seems that most of the rides are just roller coasters. Being that I can't handle much more in a coaster than Expedition Everest or Big Thunder, would it be worth it to even visit? Is there enough to do to keep me occupied for a full day?

• Former Epcot CM

Re: What is Busch Gardens Tampa like

Well I won't beat around the bush, the majority of the park is unthemed rollercoasters but there is the odd coaster which is excellently themed, for example Montu. The lands are very well themed, and the gardens at the Busch corporate thing with the free beer are beautifully landscaped. In fact, the entire park is beautifully landscaped. So much better then your average amusement park.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• is on the rocks

It really depends on what you're looking to see/do. It's true that there are quite a few coasters, but there are other attractions and shows too. There is a hospitality house, a railway (where you view all the animals - similar to San Diego's Wild Animal Park) a skyway-type ride. There is also a fun ride called the Rhino Rally. It's fun, but not too hairy. There are animal exihibits, but not as many as at a regular zoo. The usual shows and shops, with an African theme.

I went a couple of years ago with my mom and aunt and we all enjoyed ourselves. I would say it's worth a visit, but if you're not hitting the coasters I don't know if it'll keep you occupied for a whole day.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I can't wait to go this fall and ride its coasters...in a place with themeing and shade unlike Paramount & Six Flags.

• Banned User

Wink Re: What is Busch Gardens Tampa like

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I can't wait to go this fall and ride its coasters...in a place with themeing and shade unlike Paramount & Six Flags.
    Shade yes... themeing.. here and there.. they are learning though.... and from what I saw.. they are going a 360 change from no themeing for stuff.. to being emerced in themeing.. (getting new amangement from it's siter park helped quite well i guess)

It aint a beautiful park.. but i take what it is... a thrill park.. in tampa... lol

(Ride python if you want to get a bad neck, but ride it before it goes away.. *hint*)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Don't forget to mention the older womEn wearing 20 something outfits 2 sizes to small, walking around drunk with free beers in their hands.

I like Busch for its own "thing" but if you go there looking for something other than thrill rides, the only thing you can really look at, is animals and I enjoy that part. I do love the landscaping and the shade and they have a museum to horse racing but other than that its sorta eh.

The Dragonland for kids is OMG, it makes you want to climb the tree house and play in it yourself. Although I hear they are taking it out so that's pretty much the only appealing thing for my family.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 07-28-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Blog Entries

How does the one in Virginia compare? If we're going to take several days to visit a theme park and the one in Virginia is much better, I might just drive the extra few hours to see it.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wait: Free beer?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    How does the one in Virginia compare? If we're going to take several days to visit a theme park and the one in Virginia is much better, I might just drive the extra few hours to see it.
    BGW / BGE: Beautiful themepark themed to the old countrys (and canada), attrations do include world class rollercoasters, but they work with the theme....

BGT / BGA: Known for thrills.. had a theme, then drifted away and built rollercoasters and is slowly bringing a theme back with it's newer attractions...Currently houses the Only Dive coaster in North Anerica... and the only one in the world with one 90 degree drop and a second near vertical drop and a inversion.... (and it's themed well)

• Monorail Racer

Busch Gardens Africa (Tampa) is nice, but it's not nearly themed as well as Busch Gardens Europe (Williamsburg). BGE is one of the most beautiful parks around, and BGA just can't match it, though there are some pretty areas in BGA, too. There is a lot more than just big coaster thrill rides in the park.

As for the beer (love the Hospitality House!), I believe that you're only supposed to consume alcohol in the places where you purchase beer. I don't think you can just roam around the park drunk. Certainly, in my many years of visiting the park (dating back to it's opening), I've never seen people walking around drunk. You're far more likely to run into an obnoxious church group of kids.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I went to Busch Gardens quite a few times when I lived in Tampa (I lived 15 minutes away). But I love roller coasters and Busch Gardens has some of the best on the planet. They have some shows and of course the animals.