• Sector Two Droid Repair

Confused - Not working ride elements?

I rode the Mummy at USH yesterday. It was really confusing. We got to the part after the treasure room were there was one mummy warrior standing like a statue. We then took off under this guy that was on a ledge. Was there something that was suppost to happen here? At the end, we enter a room were the mummy gets scared by a solar eclipse. (why we are not sure) We turn around in that room with nothing happening around us. We sit facing the unloading area for about five seconds thinking the ride is over then they blow fog on us like we are not suppost to see the exit. What was that suppost to be about? Finally, we got off the ride and the ride operators all clapped for us. Why?
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: Confused - Not working ride elements?

Hehe.

The queue room with the continous video playing is supposed to tell you some person (I think) in a Jedi-like cloak opened the tomb and calling forth the curse of Imhotep with these other beautiful spirits calling his name. I guess the guests are to explore the rest of the tomb or whatever it is we're entering. That mummy warrior statue is always there. THAT confuses me the most. It's supposed to be there, it doesn't go anywhere. So the guy on the ledge is supposed to be Imhotep holding the Book of the Dead calling on the curse on the guests: "Now your souls belong to me, FOREVER!". Right when you launch into (my theory) the Underworld, more mummy soliders are supposed to come down from the ceiling to your left and right and then suddenly stop right by you. The mummy gets scarred by the eclipse because the eclipse is the source of his power. So without the eclipse, he has no power. In a last effort, he makes you turn around for some reason while the whole place is supposed to be burning with flames. There's supposed to be a black soundproof leather covering the exit to the unload area- if this malfunctions, the soundproofing won't be there. After blowing simulated flames or smoke at you, the Imhotep laughs for some reason even though he is supposed to be defeated. The ride operators HAVE to clap in order to get you excited about the ride. But you can see in some of their faces they can care less, it's just part of their job. They started clapping after a couple months of Mummy's opening. A lot of people I rode with the first time also said to a degree: "That was it? I was scared of that? That was lame!" etc etc right after we stopped going backwards on the roller coaster portion.

Universal could have definately made a longer ride, but they chose not to. They even expected high hopes for this, they made an extended queue BEHIND the ride building (they never use this now).

Truly, Mummy is underwhelming and could have been much better- kinda like X-Men: The Last Stand...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Truly, Mummy is underwhelming and could have been much better- kinda like X-Men: The Last Stand...
    FLA's makes more sence... and im not lying... lol our story line is a movie set where something goes wrong.. and your the willing extras... (no one else would do it.) And when emotep comes alive, your screwed... he tempts you with gold... but he won let you take the golden kong... (Hollywood has an golden ET hidden in the same way)

no huge backwards posrtion.... but just a just back to the launch room...

that, and we have 2 great AAs (With a B mode incase they break) and a fake unload scene...

who could forget the tag on it.. this was just all for a move.. or was it?

• Functional & Decorative

Universal could have definately made a longer ride, but they chose not to.
    As I have understood it, they could not have made a longer ride. They had to fit the Mummy inside the old E.T. building without expanding the building at all (too expensive to do so, I believe). So they did the best they could with the space available. Orlando just had a bigger building to begin with.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Exactly....they had to work with what they had. FL had a larger building...one which was designed to have fire effects inside it too, from what I understand. CA had a smaller building which was not designed to have fire effects inside.

• ...TWO BITS!

I know CA's building was smaller, but still... couldn't they have put just a little more effort??

SUGGESTIONS:
    1) I just read JHM's article on constant reminders of the Yeti for DAK's Everest attraction. That's definately missing in USH's Mummy. The only time you see the eclipse storyline is the "very loud scary video", in the loading area seeing the eclipse happening, & the eclipse behind Imhotep on the ledge (I think). USH needs more awareness to riders about the eclipse giving power to Imhotep in the queue. Like explorer's notes left behind about the eclipse and its affect on Imhotep. 2) They gotta get rid of the mummy guard statue, that's for sure. 3) Couldn't Imhotep say: "Now your souls belong to me, IN THE UNDERWORLD!". At least the riders kinda understand Imhotep sent you to the Underworld, right? 4) Right when the backwards portion is ending, there should be loud crumbling noises and lighting effects (all while the ride slowly backs into the turntable). And Imhotep is saying: "AAHH! What's happening?! By this time riders see the eclipse fading and Imhotep says: "The Eclipse!! NNOO!!". (Maybe "You won't get away so easily!" while you're turning around) THen after you get hit with fog and go through the dark tunnel to unload, the dark tunnel is themed as crumbled rumble temple ruins. 5) Theme the black soundproof cloth to the rocky temple surface!! OR put in a swinging doorway instead of the soundproof material rolling up & down.

What do you think?

I think USH got the message that their Mummy was confusing. So now you hear Imhotep or someone in your ride vehicle say: "The Eclipse!". Then Imhotep says "NNNOOO!!!" as you spin around. That "THe Eclipse" line wasn't originally there.

Does anyone really like USO's Mummy ending with Brendan Frasier??
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 08-03-2006 at 02:19 AM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

The eclipse room has you turn around to a blank wall, and suddenly they blast you with fog to where you can't see anything then the wall infront of you opens then the ride is over, unfortunatley the last time I went they did the same thing the wall was already open and the fog effects were not working, you can hear the POOF when the fog is supposed to come out but it is just air. the guy on the ledge is Imhotep and he says a couple of lineswith red lights behind him, then suddenly when he says "now your souls belong to me" a big blast of air comes from behind you and two warrior mummys drop down on each side of you before launching you off into complete darkness. I can't beleive the Fog effects still aren't working... they must have burned out their pumps or something.

• Rat Tat Tat.

I heard the fog thing made icicles which it then threw at guests, which is generally not a good thing so now it is sparcely used. I like the backward USH part better, but overall USO is better with real fire etc.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ If they have icicle problems with their fog machine, why not just blast their blank wall/ curtain with the fog mahine? Well, maybe directly at it, but the fog rises up so then the disappearing wall act can still take place . That'd make sense.

-Jurassic Park

I'm confused by the guys standing to the side of the pre-launch room... in Florida they pop up all of a sudden with a big fireball, but in Hollywood they've just been standing there every time I've been, looking ready to do something but not.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I went today. The fog was working really well, a second too late but lots of fog. Only two CM's clapped rather reluctantly as we were coming back. This is only the second time I have been on this and I rather like it.

• Neep meep beep

I went last weekend, for the first time, and I actually enjoyed this ride! The wife was much, much less enthusiastic. The fog blasted after we turned around, after we could already see the loading/debarking area.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

The fog has nothing to do with ice at all, it is just compressed water at 1,000 psi that builds up ina chamber then it is blown out of tiny ruby-orifice fog nozzles that atomize the water to ten microns then they have blowers that blast the fog at you.

http://www.coldfog.com/images/Nozzle02.jpg

Last time I went to Universal Hollywood, Jurassic Park was about a year old. I usually go there and then that satisfies me for about 5 years or so and then I forget that it wasn't that great and go again. I haven't done Mummy yet, but my wife rode it and said it was terrible. I think I'm more excited about seeing Shrek out of all the new things they have there.

It's not horrible, but for the money, it's behind Disneyland, DCA, Magic Mountain and Knott's. I'd have it about even with Sea World. I don't understand why people compare DCA with Universal Studios. IMHO, DCA is far better.