Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magic Mountain with kids?

My MIL decided she wantsto take her kids and families to Magic Mountain. We are going on a weekday week after next. (I've got a list of about 5 other places I'd rather go before Six Flags, but I guess since I ain't buying, I don't get a vote!!!)I've never been before, and had a few ?s
    1. Is there enough to do that my kids 3.5 & 2.5 won't have a total meltdown from strollershock? All I can find is coaster reviews, and nothing about the kids rides. Does it get as packed as Fantasyland?
    2. Do they offer a childswap riding program?
    3. Food- Are we allowed to bring our own, or should we leave mid-day and come back? (I've heard about the food!)
    4. With the kids, will it be worth it to get the 2-park one day pass to take them to the waterpark if/when it gets too hot?
    5. Any other tips you can offer?
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Magic Mountain with kids?

Before I can answer my questions, I must say that SFMM is not the most kid friendly park. The ONLY coasters in the park that are under 48" height requirements are the 2 kiddie coasters and Ninja at 42". You can ride one of the kiddie coasters (Canyon Blaster) with your children. The other kiddie coaster, Goliath Jr you can not.

1. Is there enough to do that my kids 3.5 & 2.5 won't have a total meltdown from strollershock? All I can find is coaster reviews, and nothing about the kids rides. Does it get as packed as Fantasyland?
    Does not get as busy as Fantasyland at all. You can ride the rides with your kids, but they can be a tight fit. There are about 10 rides in Bugs Bunny World. There is also a car ride near the Goliath entry. Other than that there isn't much for the kids to do except for the 2 flume rides (Log Jammer and Jet Stream). There are some spin and puke flat rides as well.

2. Do they offer a childswap riding program?
    They do have child swap, but you have to take your kids in line with you and switch them. It can be a headache at SFMM to be honest.

3. Food- Are we allowed to bring our own, or should we leave mid-day and come back? (I've heard about the food!)
    You cannot bring your own food into the park. There is a picnic area in the parking lot. You can bring water with you. The food ... not great. The ONLY place I can suggest is Mooseburger lodge. It's air conditioned and the food is decent at best. My suggestion, leave the park. There is a Wendy's at the bottom of the hill. There is also a Jack in the Box, Tommy's, Del Taco, etc on the old road. (make a left at the signal). If you want to get the kids out for a few hours while the others ride coasters there is a mall about 2 miles from the park on Magic Mtn Parkway. Just keep going straight at the signal, under the freeway. You will run right into it.

4. With the kids, will it be worth it to get the 2-park one day pass to take them to the waterpark if/when it gets too hot?
    We have been to the waterpark 7 times this year, SFMM only once (so far). The waterpark is fun. There are 2 kids areas, the wave pool and the family raft ride you can all ride together.

5. Any other tips you can offer?
    Have fun. Don't expect Disney quality AT ALL. Your kids won't have alot to do in the park. Sorry.

• CM for 4 years!

The food at Six Flags is vomitous. And expensive for what you get. At least when I spend money on food at Knott's or Disneyland, I know I'm getting something that's expensive but palatable.

Leave the property for lunch unless you're going to Mooseburger.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Edit: After re-reading your post I see it was not your choise to go there
    Last edited by Peabody; 08-14-2006 at 01:51 PM.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Magic Mountain with kids?

It depends upon their height. Some of the kid/family rides have a 42" minimum, which the 3.5 year old may meet. The other one is so young that if he's like most, is easily amused. If some of the party are really interested incoaster, I'd suggest splitting up part of the time, and/or spring for Flash Pass to minimize the coaster wait times. They do have 30 rides listed as for kids/families, including 17 in Bugs Bunny World; the list is here:
    http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicm...des/index.html

There has also been a big push with characters at 6 Flags aroud the country, and presumeably, that inclused MM.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• A Pirate's life for me!

From our personal experience...We have four kids and SFMM is the LAST place that we would take them for a good time. We went once and that was enough for us. Even the kids section had little gangsters in it. No parent supervision at all (is that surprising???) line cutting, pushing, shouting at the top of their lungs, etc...To top it off, one of our kids got food poisoning from eating their food. I don't even want to repeat what we saw in the restrooms!Nothing even remotely close to the quality of DL.Here's a tip...Print out this thread and show it to your MIL. Maybe she'll decide on Knott's, LegoLand or somewhere else if she doesn't want to do DL.Good luck!

• Circle of Ancients

17 rides in BBW??? No freakin' way.

Okay, let me think here (starting at the entrance):

Short bus
    Off road truck
    Playhouse
    Canyon Blaster (coaster)
    Train ride
    Plane ride
    Carousel
    Spinning Cages
    Tower ride
    Spinning baloon ride
    Tea Cups Ride
    Goliath Jr. (coaster)

That says 12 to me and most of them are rides you can find at any church carnival on any given weekend. The only thing I could think of that they are counting the tree as an attraction which is as fun as walking under the entryway to Disneyland under the train station. I take that back, walking under the train station is more fun. But that would only be 13.

And then to say 30 rides??? The ONLY other rides outside of BBW I would say are family friendly are the ones I mentioned. Granny Grand Prix, and the two flume rides. That to my estimation is 15.

Then again SFMM says that Flashback is still a coaster even though it hasn't been opened in 4 years and hasn't had any power in 2.

GREEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAT! We don't have to stay with the inlaws, and I'll still be miserable!!!!! (its the magic power of inlaws, I guess!)
    My husband's family is from Porterville, so I guess thats a big memory from when they were kids was going to Magic Mountain, and no one has gone in like, 10 years, so my MIL wants to take everyone since she heard the closing story.
    I've got my list of every theme park we have to hit before DH deploys again in 9 months, and Magic Mountain wasn't even on the list! (I AM in SERIOUS Disney withdrawls. I haven't been since December, but our APs expired while DH was overseas and I was in FL, and 3 new APs is too much to do at once)
    I think we'll definately get the water park pass add-on, because I know the kids would love that!

• Banned User

Eh, I actually just went to Six Flags about a week ago - it's really not that bad of a place. I actually had a lot of fun on Scream! and Goliath. The Northern side of the park (Scream!, Goliath, Superman The Escape) is the best part of the park.

And yes, there food is quite expensive but I found their food to be right on par with Disneyland - yeah, Disneyland food isn't that great either.

Anywho, I don't know, however, if I would take your kids if they are pretty young.

• Circle of Ancients

^^ There are other things to do in the Santa Clarita Valley area besides SFMM if you get bored with the kids.

There is the forementioned mall which has a theatre and IMAX, there is Mountasia which is Mini-Golf, Farrels, etc as well.

Let me know if you want to check them out and I'll get you directions.

• Closed Account

Don't count on seeing any characters in the park past 11:00 am a the park anymore. You'll only see them at the opening ceremony and brunch w/bugs.

• CM for 4 years!

When I went to the park in June, there were character greetings all day at designated spots.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

/\ Six Flags just cut their budgets...no more charecters so they can have money for Fright Frest nights.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^^ There are other things to do in the Santa Clarita Valley area besides SFMM if you get bored with the kids.

There is the forementioned mall which has a theatre and IMAX, there is Mountasia which is Mini-Golf, Farrels, etc as well.

Let me know if you want to check them out and I'll get you directions.
    Thanks, but its only one day, so I think if we get the two park pass, its only like $10 more, that should be enough to keep us busy for the day.

When we went we left the kids with my parents and had a blast lol.

I agree with MooseBurger - if you are going to eat in the park then that is the place. It is not the best food you will have in your life, but it is ok. I never liked leaving any theme park to get food despite how close it is (example I refuse to exit DL to eat at DTD). So I eat (suffer?) park food all the time.

At some point I would make a quick exit from the rest of the family and get some Flah Passes for Tatsu and ride that at least one time real quick! It is a great ride and worth the extra $ to get the passes for it. Maybe you could go on that while they go on the SkyTower that is next to Tatsu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast