Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Functional & Decorative

Why isn't BTTF closing at USH?

So if you follow Universal parks at all, you probably already know that USF is closing Back to the Future for a new attraction. Yet all reports deny that BTTF will be closing at USH. Why not?

My personal theory is that USH has the original "Courtyard Square" from the movie, which they hype up pretty big on the tour--while USF has no real other connection. Still, the attraction is based on the premise of visiting the very distant future time of... 2015. Not all the far off by now, and soon to be humiliatingly out of date! Doesn't it seem inevitable they've got to close it as some point (or at the very least, update it)? So why not just do it now?
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Why isn't BTTF closing at USH?

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with courtyard square.

USH is the studio tour ... PERIOD. Anything else that they have is just extra stuff. They aren't going to go overboard on anything else.

• A Pirate's life for me!

And besides, the Courthouse Square is now (and has been for a while) the set for Ghost Whisperer. Of course, it can always be changed back (at the spur of the moment). The clock tower is being stored behind some of the street facades. You can get a quick glimpse of it while on the Tram tour.

As much as we enjoy the ride (we've been on it since it opened), it's time to move on to something else. Keep the building and the ride structure, just change the theme and vehicles (and clean the screen...yuck) LOL

• Banned User

The BTTF ride is so ancient it kills any excitement about the movie. I got into the film when I was 15 and just went on the ride a couple months ago I thought it was horrible. Cute and nice for the 80s maybe but wow it's so ancient. Take it out, keep the ride vehicles or something for display but if that ride left I wouldn't mind.

As for ET, why did that leave?!

• Functional & Decorative

ET left for Mummy. A good exchange, IMO... ET was by far my most hated ride. Utterly worthless. I never understood a ride that was supposed to have that Peter Pan-esque "flying" mystique, yet nearly always remained 1 ft off the ground for over 90% of the ride. What kind of flying sensation is that? I know a lot of people don't care for Mummy, but I feel it's way above what ET was.

Still, no real answers (or even theories?) as to why USH is clinging on to BTTF when USF's is closing? It just doesn't make much sense to me.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what ET was like in Hollywood, but the one in Orlando is about as perfect a dark ride experience as you can get. I absolutely love it. My only complaint is how loud the fog machines are.

• C4C6C

BTTF in Orlando is built on flat ground where the building could either be demolished or expanded to accept a new ride.

BTTF at USH is built on the side of a hill, and any additions to the building would require a lot more construction. Trying to fit a ride into what is preety much an office building is another story.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

BTTF is a cool ride, in concept. But I do think that it needs an update. It really is quite a well-themed queue and attraction...but if you ever get the urge to look up and around you, the magic is spoiled as you see the other dozen or so cars flying through the future at the same time you are. I vote for an update of the film and new programming for the cars.

Just for the record, I'm very sad that ET is gone. I would MUCH prefer to have a friendly extra-terrestrial encounter than ride the Mummy...which isn't much of a coaster and is over before you know it. The only reason I enjoyed it the first time is because I was able to get a front of the line pass and only waited less than 5 minutes. I would have been pissed if I had to wait any longer.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I have only been on BTTF once. That ride made me sick. I had a killer headache and sick feeling the rest of the day that I could not get rid of. For that reason I have steered clear of that ride whenever I go. Mummy did not affect me like BTTF did. If it left USH, I would wish it bon voyage.

• Banned User

maybe because Florida's opened shortly after the park did...

yet USH's was behind schedual when they built and opened it...

so they want to test the idea in FLA, where they dont have the popularity anymore for one reason or another.... then take it to Hollywood... and maybe japan...

BTTF is my second fave ride at USH. I think it is one of the nicest simulator rides I've ridden. Soarin can't even hold a candle to BTTF.

I like how small the cars are, makes it more personal.
    I also love the little onboard screen and the smoke effects in the actual vehicle.

I would love to see it updated, but I would be saddened to see it go.

I could live without the Mummy no problem. Short ride, no real thrills, and cheesy lookin Las Vegas glowing cut-outs.

Also USH needs to ADD rides instead of replace them. Whenever I go I get kinda pissed because I spent so much to get in and traveled a ways to get there...and I'm done in a few hours.

Get rid of Shrek, put something interesting where all the Nicktoons playgrounds are, do something with T2 and the Coke water play area. And build a ride where they always put the Haunted Maze.

Universal has some cool movies under its name as well as their affiliates. I believe they own the new Peter Pan, they could make an amazing Peter Pan ride to blow Disney's out of the water.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post

Just for the record, I'm very sad that ET is gone. I would MUCH prefer to have a friendly extra-terrestrial encounter than ride the Mummy...which isn't much of a coaster and is over before you know it. The only reason I enjoyed it the first time is because I was able to get a front of the line pass and only waited less than 5 minutes. I would have been pissed if I had to wait any longer.
    I know what you mean! Last time I went to USH was on a Monday after Halloween a couple years ago. I got in for free because I knew a guy who works there. Luckily, like you, I only waited in line for about 5 minutes and even then I was disappointed! I loved the Mummy films but I hated the ride! It was like, you're in, you're out, you're mad that you waited that long! I miss the E.T. ride. I only went on it once when it first opened when that was like the only ride there.

As for BTTF...I think it's staying in Hollywood because there is just not that much to do there. I've never been to Orlando, so I wouldn't know how many rides they have other there, but over here in Hollywood, I think DCA has more rides than USH.

• Banned User

ET was the coolest thing when I was a kid. Maybe adults don't like it but kids did. Especially when I was really small and you went through some ID process so ET said your name on the way out.

• Banned User

USH isn't the place for rides though. It's a movie studio. You go for the excellent tram ride, anything else is extra.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    USH isn't the place for rides though. It's a movie studio. You go for the excellent tram ride, anything else is extra.
    Yeah well, they shouldn't be charging the same price for admission as the amusement parks do. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $50+ for just a tram ride. Unless I'm going to meet some movie or tv stars and get like a free lunch with them. At least with Six Flags, Knotts, or Disney you have hours of stuff to do, not like Universal. If it's an slow day, you could do everything within 5 hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast