• RAWRR(:

Six Flags (NJ) - Kingda Ka Closed?

I heard from someone in school that they closed Kingda Ka at Six flags in NJ. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it did close or this wasn't true.

• Banned User

Re: Six Flags (NJ) - Kingda Ka Closed?

maybe preventative matinence??

those coasters do have some flaws that need to be examined a lot...
    (Not to mention upgrading the safety features and such)

I don't know if it's closed or not but when I went to six flags in the begining of this month. That ride was breaking down like every two hours. That rides definitly has some major mechanical issues.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I don't know what it is specifically but the launch system on Intamin's Rocket Coasters has bugs and they have struck many of the rocket coasters were a fast speed in a short length is required (KK, TTD, and Speed over in Thorpe Park).

INTAMIN used to be really good but not anymore even since the last Accidents on SROS at SFNE .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• Circle of Ancients

I haven't heard anything ... I can't access the GADV boards from work, I will check in the morning. They are usually the first to know.

I knew it was a fluke when we went last year, rode it with no wait and no break downs.

• Banned User

They had so many problems with this thing prior to opening, after opening, so it wouldn't be to my suprise if it has problems now. And I thought it was supposed to be the focal point of an expansion in the park (can't remember what though). These things require too much electricity to operate and they move so fast, that the wear and tear must be hell. Plus, the chances of a deadly accident could happen when you are traveling at the speed of what? 142 mph?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Is it time for me to sell my Six Flags stock?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Why do you keep talking?

Quote Originally Posted by DLRP_bopazot View Post
    INTAMIN used to be really good but not anymore even since the last Accidents on SROS at SFNE .
    Intamin's still good, they just need Six Flags idiot employee proof restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    I don't know what it is specifically but the launch system on Intamin's Rocket Coasters has bugs and they have struck many of the rocket coasters were a fast speed in a short length is required (KK, TTD, and Speed over in Thorpe Park).
    There are over 4,000 errors that could wrong on one of the bigger Rockets. Can't really go into specifics, but it's not bugs, it's redundant safety systems.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    They had so many problems with this thing prior to opening, after opening, so it wouldn't be to my suprise if it has problems now. And I thought it was supposed to be the focal point of an expansion in the park (can't remember what though). These things require too much electricity to operate and they move so fast, that the wear and tear must be hell. Plus, the chances of a deadly accident could happen when you are traveling at the speed of what? 142 mph?
    Not as much power as LIM and LSM launch systems which are still being built by parks. Kingda Ka goes 128 mph, and while the chances of danger are higher, the safety involved in one of these rides is amazing.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

It's not closed for good, but probably for work.

Everyone said "Intamin will have the bugs from Dragster worked out for KK" Man, were they wrong. KK, has had crazy downtime. The only ride I can think if that is worse is Deja Vu at SFOG...it had a 14% uptime it's first 2 years!

• Circle of Ancients

Didn't find anything on the GADV boards. Not to say it isn't closed, they may have just been tired of the constant updates.

Regarding the "Only Intamin" has downtime thing:

Like was mentioned above, Deja Vu is Vekoma and had MAJOR problems at all 3 parks that have them.

X at Magic Mountain is an arrow coaster. It had MAJOR delays, MAJOR downtime and has currently been closed for about a month. Plus the ride is just painful.

The Premier launched coasters (Mr Freeze (SFOT), The Chiller (SFGADV), etc) have had major problems since they started. Once side of Chiller only had about a week of open time this year and the other has been down for MONTHS.

Seems that the only coaster manufacturer that doesn't have MAJOR problems is B&M. Of course, all of their rides are pretty similar and they have a formula. I mean, I've ridden 5 floorless coasters and honestly, they are all the same ride experience, with 'maybe' different layouts. How many "Batmans" are there?

So when you aren't pushing the envelope, you don't have issues.

You also can't put the blame 100% on Intamin. A park says I want they tallest/fastest coaster and Intamin builds it. Once it's built and running it's up to the park to fork over the $$ to maintain the coaster. I think alot of KK's problems are with the cost that it takes to keep the coaster going.

There are PLENTY of Intamin coasters that haven't had issues. Millennium Force, Superman Ride of Steel (Other than somone flying out, which wasn't Intamins fault), Balder, El Toro, Expedition GeForce, Goliath (Walibi), The Impulse Coasters. Then you look at the newer Rocket coasters, that aren't the "Tallest/Fastest". Most haven't had issues with the exception of Rita at Alton Towers.

Xcelerator at Knott's had some issues early on, but it's been running pretty consistently after it's first about 6 months. It's down now for rehab, but you have to maintain these rides.

People have to remember, these are machines, and are prone to break downs.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 09-14-2006 at 06:29 AM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Like was mentioned above, Deja Vu is Vekoma and had MAJOR problems at all 3 parks that have them.
    Lol. And don't forget Stealth, er...Borg in PCW. It's years old at this point but being a prototype still has issues quite often.

The Premier launched coasters (Mr Freeze (SFOT), The Chiller (SFGADV), etc) have had major problems since they started. Once side of Chiller only had about a week of open time this year and the other has been down for MONTHS.
    Well didn't Chiller break this year? I though one side had a train break during a ride and that is why it was closed...and once that broke they shut the others this year to check them...I didn't think they had that many issues.

Seems that the only coaster manufacturer that doesn't have MAJOR problems is B&M. Of course, all of their rides are pretty similar and they have a formula. I mean, I've ridden 5 floorless coasters and honestly, they are all the same ride experience, with 'maybe' different layouts. How many "Batmans" are there?

So when you aren't pushing the envelope, you don't have issues.
    Lmao. True.

Superman Ride of Steel (Other than somone flying out, which wasn't Intamins fault),
    Well...SROS in SFNE had two seperate brake failures/issues since opening...that ride had some big brake issues in design or construction...but you are right most typical Intamins are pretty good.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Well didn't Chiller break this year? I though one side had a train break during a ride and that is why it was closed...and once that broke they shut the others this year to check them...I didn't think they had that many issues.
    When we were there last year the Batman side was down, we did ride Robin. (Mr Freeze and Poltergeist are WAY better). I know that they were both open for a time this year, but I believe that was in like June.

Quote Originally Posted by toolgb View Post
    Well...SROS in SFNE had two seperate brake failures/issues since opening...that ride had some big brake issues in design or construction...but you are right most typical Intamins are pretty good.
    True ... but after a ride has been open for awhile how much can you attribute to the manufacturer??? Doesn't the park have some liability for maintaining the ride?

For Example, the screamin' problems they had. This was not Intamins fault. Disney admitted to changing things without consulting the manufacturer.