• Disneyland Fanatic

Need advise re: traffic from DL to USH..weekend vs weekdays?

I need a little help from my fellow Xo Cal micechatters.

We are going to DL from 11/18 to 11/22 ( saturday-wednesday before thxsgiving ) and we want to take one day to go to USH. I'm undecided between Sunday (since they close 1 hr later) or Monday (but that made me thing about traffic)

Last time we went to USH was 3 yrs ago but I do remember we didnt stay until closing, so maybe that should not be a deciding factor (BTW, we are NOT doing the VIP tixs)

So, would you go on Sunday or would you go on Monday? Is traffic going to be horrible say at 6:00 pm on a monday night coming back to DL?

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Need advise re: traffic from DL to USH..weekend vs weekdays?

I would definatly go on monday, everyone is back to school more time on rides for you all and less crowds .

• Disneyland Fanatic

Hi Karla!
    I've missed you! Maybe today I will finally catch up on the BBBs
    this is the first time I've posted on MC in forever LOL
    I heard you are going to DLin a couple of weeks! I'm so excited for you

• Banned User

Hi!! I missed you to, but I thought you were tired of us good that you are getting a vacation, how are you feeling? morning sickness or anything? I wish you were there when we would be, it would be cool to meet you

• no flash photography...

sunday traffic should be lighter....monday traffic should be pretty bad. It depends on when you plan to go though. I haven't gone anywhere on a weekday in a long time, btu I use to wait until 10am or after toleave and I would start home after 7pm, but there may be traffic at those times now. Rush hour is the worst. speeds are about 14 to 35 mph on the freeways and stop and go...

• Dumptruck of Information

There are tradeoffs on either day. On Sunday at USH, generally there will be more people, which will result in longer lines (but generally under 45 minutes at most). The plus side is that more shows will be available to you then (and generally more than 2 viewings for each show). Also note that traffic into and back should generally not take more than an hour in "light to moderate" traffic.

Monday (and other days of the "work week") will generally have fewer people in the park. Shorter ride waits, means more repeatability of the attractions. But all the live shows will either have 1-2 viewings or not even be playing at all. Also note that during the week, the Studios will become more active in filming, so the tram tour could grant you a glimpse at a star or two. The major drawback on going on a weekday is traffic. Generally (not always, every day can be different as well as time of day) will take you over an hour to go one way. 6:00 PM on a "work day" is still rush hour for LA, and depending on how well traffic wants to move, can take 2 hours just to get back into the DLR area.

If Monday is the day you decide to go, then I would suggest having a good breakfast in the DLR area before driving up to USH. When you arrive at USH, take a quick stock of the restaurants at CityWalk (or look online) and make dinner reservations at one of these restaurants at 6:30 or so (if park closes at 6). By time dinner will be over, rush hour traffic will have died down substantially and should take about 45 minutes to get back (don't hold me to that, it can vary).

Regardless, have a wonderful time out here when you come!

• Disneyland Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPhoebus View Post

If Monday is the day you decide to go, then I would suggest having a good breakfast in the DLR area before driving up to USH. When you arrive at USH, take a quick stock of the restaurants at CityWalk (or look online) and make dinner reservations at one of these restaurants at 6:30 or so (if park closes at 6). By time dinner will be over, rush hour traffic will have died down substantially and should take about 45 minutes to get back (don't hold me to that, it can vary).

Regardless, have a wonderful time out here when you come!
    That's really good advise...we've never been to Citywalk, last time we went to USH we headed straigh back to DL as soon as the park closed.

:::off to check Citywalk restaurants online:::::

Thanks everybody!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I'm not sure based on your posts where you are staying while here, but if it is in Anaheim, are you aware of the free shuttle from Anaheim to USH and back again? Here is a link

http://themeparks.universalstudios.c...eeshuttle.html

Sounds like a very good deal to me.

I never drive to USH. I take Metro Rail from the Long Beach area and do not have to worry about traffic or parking.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Sunday traffic: good
    Monday traffic: pack a lunch
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    I'm not sure based on your posts where you are staying while here, but if it is in Anaheim, are you aware of the free shuttle from Anaheim to USH and back again? Here is a link

http://themeparks.universalstudios.c...eeshuttle.html

Sounds like a very good deal to me.

I never drive to USH. I take Metro Rail from the Long Beach area and do not have to worry about traffic or parking.
    Interesting.. a nice 'catch' tho is

• Can I combine the Free Shuttle offer with any other ticket? For example, I plan to purchase a Front of Line Pass for my visit to Universal Studios Hollywood.
      No, at the current time the Free Shuttle promotion is part of ticket bundle with regularly priced one-day tickets only.
    That kinda stinks. But nice for them to offer this service regardless.

• Circle of Ancients

Actually, being that it's Thanksgiving week, traffic will be lighter than normal. IMO, you shouldn't have any issues on Monday morning. Just make sure to give yourself at least 1.5 hours so you can make it to park opening.

Having less crowds on Monday will certainly be worth a little extra traffic. But like I said, it shouldn't be too bad.