Cedar Point for non coaster lovers

Hi,We are visit the US from Australia next year. My husband really wanted to visit the Mopar Nationals in Columbus,Ohio, and I agreed because I have always wanted to go to Cedar Point. I know I will ride every coaster I can but I am concerned about the rest of my family.

I have a 10 year old daughter who is starting to get into coasters and thrill rides but Expedition Everest is probably as scary as she is going to want to get.

I have an 8 year old son who can handle the Disney coasters excluding Rock and Rollercoaster and Expedition Everest but probably not much else. My husband is also in this "ride range"

Will they hate me for making them come with me?

Sandie

• Huh?

Re: Cedar Point for non coaster lovers

I never could understand why people wanted to come from all over the world to see it... I live about 10 feet from where they have their mopar parade every year and it's just a huge annoyance. Even my car-obsessed roommate finds it to be a huge annoyance. But, I digest...

There's plenty for other people to do at Cedar Point. There is Camp Snoopy for the kids and plenty of tame roller coasters. But, it is a Coaster park most of all.

However, I think it's a great place for anybody to go to. The park is about 150 years old, so it's a great piece of history. Lots of old buildings -- it's a very classic theme park. It's a great place to go if you enjoy such things.

Take a look at the website and see a detailed listing of all the attractions available.
    -Tim

• On the Highway in the Sky

I am originally from Cleveland and we visit family every summer up there. We always make a trip to Cedar Point when we are there. My kids have been going since they were babies. Unlike Disney, there are not a lot of rides that both adult and child can share together and the majority of the rides either fall into "adult-thrill" type and "kiddie" type. That said, there are still many things to do. It is a neat amusement park with a lot of history. As amusement parks go, it is one of the best. Blows away almost every Six Flags I have ever been to (although Fiesta Texas gives it a run).

They won't hate you and they may even like some of the smaller coasters (Gemini is BIG size wise, but relatively tame by coaster standards and is a classic coaster. My six year old even likes it.).

• Circle of Ancients

Yarrggh ... Thar be plenty of land-lubbers to do at the point, like sacking Camp Snoopy, riding thar river boat and getting your sea-legs on the bobsleds.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yarrggh ... Thar be plenty of land-lubbers to do at the point, like sacking Camp Snoopy, riding thar river boat and getting your sea-legs on the bobsleds.
    I forgot about that Jungle Cruise rip off... wow. The jokes are ripped off from DL, but just so much worse.
    -Tim

• Why do you keep talking?

Excuse me, Jungle Cruise has nothing on a trip through old Americana. Plus Paddlewheel Excursions doesn't have tracks, so instant win to PWE!

There is tons to do without going on the coasters, they have a lot of shows depending on what time of year your going (up to six in late June-early Sept, seven if you include the night time show they put on), and they have a lot of rides (including a few coasters) that would fall into their range of thrills. One of the good things is that the park isn't completely focused on hardcore thrills, so there's still plenty of rides and things to do. The Town Hall museum is great for learning a little about the history of the park and to cool off and just look at all the cool old stuff they have on dispaly. The main arcade has some really cool "classic" and older arcade games as well as the newest ones you can find pretty much anywhere else. There's also the beach right outside of the park, so you guys could take a small break and take a walk on the beach if you guys want.

There's plenty more to do, but I've covered the main things I loved to do not involving coasters. You'll all have a great time.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Shablagoo!

Make sure you ride Cedar Downs, the whole family will love it. Its probably my favorite carousel.

• Senior Minion

I want to go to Cedar Point one day. Since Cedar Fair now owns the Paramount park by my house, there is the option of getting a season pass that will gain you enterence to all cedar fair parks and one for the parks and waterparks, but it's about double the price of a regular season pass for strickly King's Island (they are getting rid of the gold pass )

I'm trying to convince my parents that it's worth while, since we go to Cleveland and streetsburro alot, and we have always wanted to take the extra day to go there.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Make sure you ride Cedar Downs, the whole family will love it. Its probably my favorite carousel.
    Cedar Downs is the best carousel EVER! To explain it better, it's themed to a horse race adn they play a recording of such while you ride. As a result it goes a little faster than your normal carousel. There are 4 horses per row and besides going up and down, they also move forwards & backwards so you really feel like you're racing.

Back in high school my best friends and I would ride neighboring horses and bet quarters on which one would "win". I always had to ride the same black horse with the yellow saddle every time. I was VERY picky about it. Man I miss that ride.

I love that place! I went for the first time in August and it blew my mind! Of course I'm a rollercoaster lover so I spent all my time riding the crazy rides like Millenium Force and Dragster but I did see plenty of kids running around the park with their families and they seemed to be having a pleasant time.

Rides that you must go on....
    Dragster (400 foot drop up to 120mph!)
    Millenium Force (350 foot drop up to 93mph)
    Raptor (soooo many loops and flips!)
    Those were my top 3 from that day!

You should also try an elephant ear....it's this deep fried thing...very good!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Cedar Downs is the best carousel EVER! To explain it better, it's themed to a horse race adn they play a recording of such while you ride. As a result it goes a little faster than your normal carousel. There are 4 horses per row and besides going up and down, they also move forwards & backwards so you really feel like you're racing.

Back in high school my best friends and I would ride neighboring horses and bet quarters on which one would "win". I always had to ride the same black horse with the yellow saddle every time. I was VERY picky about it. Man I miss that ride.

Gambling! At a theme park! for shame!

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I never could understand why people wanted to come from all over the world to see it... I live about 10 feet from where they have their mopar parade every year and it's just a huge annoyance. Even my car-obsessed roommate finds it to be a huge annoyance. But, I digest...
    I don't understand why we need to go to the Nats either but I am getting a six week trip which includes Cedar Point, Dollywood and 23 days at WDW so I can put up with some cars. We are staying at a hotel which is apparently famous for its gardens and walking paths and they are opening a small indoor water park this Christmas so the kids and I will be amused.

thanks again

Sandie

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by scrappinsandie View Post
    I don't understand why we need to go to the Nats either but I am getting a six week trip which includes Cedar Point, Dollywood and 23 days at WDW so I can put up with some cars. We are staying at a hotel which is apparently famous for its gardens and walking paths and they are opening a small indoor water park this Christmas so the kids and I will be amused.

23 days at WDW? Wow...

Take me! You'll already be close enough to pick me up!

You'll love Dollywood, too.

The Mopar stuff... just not that exciting. Annoying people holding up signs for girls to flash their boobs (haven't seen anybody do it, though -- it's not Mardi Gras), closes down a very major stretch of road right by my house. I was surprised the first time I heard that people actually drove more than 5 miles for it. It's the equivalent of driving 5,000 miles for a White Castle to me. It's been happening every year all my life, so it grows more annoying every year...
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    23 days at WDW? Wow...

Take me! You'll already be close enough to pick me up!
    If you had to fly 14 hours toLA and then 5 hours to Orlando you'd stay 23 days too!!!! Seriously the airfares cost so much we can only do it every 4 or 5 years so we stay as long as we can. My daughter and I are looking forward to Dollywood - we saw it on tv here.

Sandie

• Why do you keep talking?

Funny, I did the same when I went to Australia (28 days).
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead