Question USH More Rides or More Shows?

Universal Studios Hollywood is an odd place. It is stuck somewhere between Disney and Six Flags and I am not talking about location (although it is between the two almost exactly in location!). The focus at USH recently has been on rides or what I like to call push button attractions. Now they are shifting to street performances. However USH has a long and proud list of live sit down shows. USH was known for its live shows at one time. WaterWorld is still one of the best stunt shows out there IMO.

The question is this... Should USH focus on shows or rides? What do you want to see? Given the space at the park and the very unique niche market that Universal can serve what is the best choice and what types of rides or shows would you like to see?

Phantom CIA

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: USH More Rides or More Shows?

more rides, although the park itself is an extra bonus you get, it was meant to be just a studio tour, the rides and shows are justa bonus to your entry.... but I would say more rides

• A Pirate's life for me!

Rides...They are a necessary evil.

Yes, USH is a film studio based theme park. It should not detract from that (well, they already have, but that is another story).

Rides are necessary to keep the masses coming through the turnstiles. If there were no rides, most folks would pass. There needs to be a balance of rides and attractions to make it all work.

The trick is to maintain that balance.

We have been regulars at USH since 1985, and first visited the Park in 1978. We have seen the ups and downs of the Park. There was renewed hope when NBC took it over (good bye and so-long Vivendi!). But they have yet to prove themselves commited to making it work the way that it should be.

NBC reminds me of the saying "two steps forward, one step back".

Time will tell.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post

Yes, USH is a film studio based theme park. It should not detract from that (well, they already have, but that is another story).

Rides are necessary to keep the masses coming through the turnstiles. If there were no rides, most folks would pass. There needs to be a balance of rides and attractions to make it all work.

We have been regulars at USH since 1985, and first visited the Park in 1978. We have seen the ups and downs of the Park. There was renewed hope when NBC took it over (good bye and so-long Vivendi!). But they have yet to prove themselves commited to making it work the way that it should be.

NBC reminds me of the saying "two steps forward, one step back".

Time will tell.
    Well said and point is well made.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

More porcelin deer
    (If you didn't get that watch the US Training video posted in this forum)

I'd say they should add more rides over the live shows. Rides, especially if they brought in ones like Spiderman and Men in Black, tend to have more repeatability than shows and would encourage more annual pass sales, where they might not necessarily have to give the APs away.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Both? I used to love the Western Stunt Show. And I love Waterworld. I also loved Conan. But, yes I could always do without the Spiderman or Beetlejuice shows.
    I do love the rides. Every last one of them. Even BTTF.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

i would have to say more rides. there's just sooooooo much empty space right now not being used for the theme park itself. i personally would love to see them take down the stadium for wild west show, knock out the castle theatre and build something there. i mean, sure fear factor is great and all, but its TERRIBLE compared to conan and beetlejuice.

only time will tell.
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Circle of Ancients

They do/did have some great shows ... but in this day and age it's the rides that keep the turnstyles turning. And dancing Volkswagons on sticks isn't going to bring anybody in either. Sorry Tram Tour!!!

• ...TWO BITS!

they need to redo the tour's Fast & furious and put something in for collaspsin bridge. and why can't they have the parting of the red sea AND the king kong miniatures...

shoulda put a interactive dark ride in panada express... lame plan to put that there since panada express is already served in jurassic cafe and there are seats upstairs. either men in black, halo, or something else.

backdraft needs something new

western stunt arena and its western alley needs to be a dark ride

fear factor is okay, but i'd like a show that is not seasonal due to lack of crowds

need something new for coke soak

shoulda put a dark ride in the shrek. they got the extended queue they dont use which can be used for the ride. most of the line is in the back under that tent anyways. or vice versa.

shoulda planned mummy better

new ride film and themeing for back to the future

shoulda kept the ampitheater and used gibson theater for theme park

they never use the restuarnt next to van helsing maze

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

^ ah, frank and stein is open during the summer months

but i totally agree. it was way cool when it was the marvel mania restaurant. that's OLD school.

remember when darkbeer wrote an update and said "way busy saturday. the entire cue for terminator was full."? i laughed. i've NEVER seen that entire cue full. and let me tell you, there's a LOT of cue there!!! a heck of a lot more than shrek. and never mind the fact that there's a TON of space not being used behind the t2:3d building. ah well.
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Why do you keep talking?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post

Yes, USH is a theme park based film studio. It should not detract from that (well, they already have, but that is another story).

Fixed your quote and added emphasis. While I would love to see more rides, I can't really image USH ever being like USF/IOA (which are fun parks by the way) but there can definitely be some improvments made if we could just get rid of the neighbors around the Studio. A couple more new Dark rides (let's not pull a Six Flags and more recently Disney and some original stuff in, K?) and the park would be so much mroe worth it.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Quote Originally Posted by kickcows View Post
    ^ ah, frank and stein is open during the summer months

but i totally agree. it was way cool when it was the marvel mania restaurant. that's OLD school.

remember when darkbeer wrote an update and said "way busy saturday. the entire cue for terminator was full."? i laughed. i've NEVER seen that entire cue full. and let me tell you, there's a LOT of cue there!!! a heck of a lot more than shrek. and never mind the fact that there's a TON of space not being used behind the t2:3d building. ah well.
    Where is there space behind Ts:3d? Just curious?

• Kevin's a girl?

More rides. It's a studio, but they should still try to make the audience "feel the movie."

Oh yeah. What is behind that place. You might want to check GoogleEarth.

We're always having fun in the Fun and Games Lounge. Care to visit us?