Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holy Theme Park Tax Break, Batman!

I just read the following in Vanity Fair (Oct 2006):
    ...in June, [Florida] Governor Jeb Bush signed into law a bill that exempts theme parks that "display, exhibit, illustrate and interpret biblical manuscripts" from paying local property taxes.
    Pardon the pun...but what in the hell is this?

Does this mean we'll see Walt Disney World plugging in "The Many Adventures of Jesus the Christ" into their parks in order to get out of paying Reedy Creek local property taxes? And what would Reedy Creek do without Walt Disney World's taxes?

Will Shamu act as stunt double for Noah's Ark in a big new biblical flood show at Sea World?

Will Universal's "One Fish, Two Fish" attraction be converted into a Jesus "The Feeding Of The 5000" gospel reference?

Good Lord! Where will it all end?

I'll tell you where it will all end. As soon as I finish my 6-CD set "Understanding End Times" about preparing for the end of the world...that's sold in souvenir stands at the Holy Land Experience theme park in Orlando. Though I probably should have held off purchasing it until after They start to benefit from this tax break. I bet They will really benefit from this new law!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Holy Theme Park Tax Break, Batman!

I don't agree with this at all. A Theme Park is a money-making venture, and should not be exempt from Taxes.

Isn't Jedi a religion in England??? Disney has Star Tours.

• Shablagoo!

I agree too, this is ridiculous. Doesn't Epcot have a Nativity scene during the Christmas season? Couldn't they get to avoid property taxes as well. Well look at it this way, even with the tax break they are probably going to go out of business one of these days. I have heard their finances are really poor. It'd be funny though if Disney got to avoid their taxes too. Could you imagine the uproar that would cause?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Good Lord! Where will it all end?
    Thanks to this sentence, MiceChat has received a tax break for 2006!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

the park in question has always had a tax break as a religious institution. and frankly I read awhile ago that it was in danger of having to close it's doors. Disney pays plenty not only in property taxes but also sales tax and hotel taxes.

This is just one in a line of attempts to start up religious themeparks. The others have all failed.

As for the tax break, I'll be very surprised--right ro not--if this is enough to save the park.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Neep meep beep

I'm against religions having a tax exemption at all, but at least I can see the steps here from tax breaks to religions, to tax breaks to "religious based activities".

Great. All we need are even MORE Creationist Theme Parks!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

"The Many Adventures of Jesus the Christ"
    Someone please get me a brain scrubber to get this disturbing image in my head of Jesus flying around on a balloon on a blustery day.

"And the rain rain rain came down down down.... for 40 days and 40 nights..."

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Someone please get me a brain scrubber to get this disturbing image in my head of Jesus flying around on a balloon on a blustery day.

"And the rain rain rain came down down down.... for 40 days and 40 nights..."
    And you know how pooh has that party at the end......Tis the last supper

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Long live The Holy Land Experience! I want to see the photo of Jeb with the walk around Jesus.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I just read the following in Vanity Fair (Oct 2006):

Will Shamu act as stunt double for Noah's Ark in a big new biblical flood show at Sea World?
    Of Course not! Haven't you heard of Jonah?

• Huh?

So, is there a minimum of how much you need to have in order to qualify? Once a year? A large attraction? I see this could be used for plenty of evil by the parks... Just hide a manuscript somewhere on property and they fit the requirements.

You know, a display of a circa 1900 Bible in a Main Street window would fit in, or a display of the Disney family Bible (or something along that nature) in the MGM Walt exhibit. A new Missionary hut with a display of a South African bible in Africa at AK. Or a display of a copy of the Jefferson Bible at The American Adventure or Hall of Presidents.
    -Tim

Well now we know why that guy was handing out tracts in Fantasy land a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    the park in question has always had a tax break as a religious institution.
    Apparently not. At least not local property taxes.

Holy Land paid a team of lobbyists between $10,000 and $30,000 to push the legislation through, according to lobbyists' records.

Some Orange County officials argue that Holy Land operates like a business and warn that the tax law could be exploited by other theme parks. "I still believe today that though it's very religious, it's a religious theme park, not a religious entity," said Orange County Property Appraiser Bill Donegan. "What does the Holy Land provide? Goliath burgers."

The park's tax break has also angered church-state separationists who say it favors Judeo-Christian beliefs and makes no provision for other faiths.

The Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said Florida lawmakers were duped into signing away tax dollars. "If a Mickey Mouse amusement park has to pay taxes, then a Jesus and Moses park has to pay taxes, too," Lynn said.
    Above from:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/15525794.htm

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Religious activities have enjoyed tax-exempt status for a long time. It would seem to me that a "hands-off" approach to religious enterprise defines the notion of "seperation of church and state."

Why all the backlash against religion?

I'm no Bible-thumper by a long shot, but I'm constantly puzzled by the anti-religion piling-on. What skin is it off your nose, anyway?

The gummint takes in a pile o' dough already. This past quarter saw the largest revenues to the IRS ever! (From those who have to pay their own estimated taxes.)

So, some podunk Jesus theme-park in Florida gets a pass. So what?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast