Movieland Wax Replacement - more signs that the times are changin, and they...

SUCK! I know Movieland Wax Museum wasn't everyone's favorite place, but it had A LOT of history. I still can't believe the city didn't do something to save it. And now, we're getting closer to seeing what will replace it:

A FREAKIN' MINI MALL (yes, that is what it is regardless of what they say)

Best Buy + "...is negotiating with restaurants such as Ruby's Diner, California Pizza Kitchen ASAP, Chipotle and Corner Bakery..."

Now there is somethings you don't see everyday (unless you drive 5 miles in any direction).

And I love how the politicians phrase things: It would be a "limited" zoning change, so if Best Buy ever left, we'd have to approve it again." YES - you be tough with em! You show them! Don't think this zoning change is permanent! eyeyaaaaaa

Progress? - Disgusting...

----------------------------------------------------------
    Buena Park inches closer to Movieland redevelopment

The council reacts positively to a plan with restaurants and an electronics store.

By ERIN UY
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    BUENA PARK Plans to replace the Movieland Wax Museum with a Best Buy and chain restaurants took a conceptual step forward at a City Council meeting Tuesday.
    The council gave a positive review to the plan, which will redevelop Movieland, an E-Zone landmark that closed in October. Burnham USA Equities expressed interest in building a plaza with restaurants along Beach Boulevard and a Best Buy in the back.
    Buena Park's Planning Commission next will review the proposal for a zoning change before it goes to the council.
    Newport Beach-based Burnham USA is negotiating with restaurants such as Ruby's Diner, California Pizza Kitchen ASAP, Chipotle and Corner Bakery, said Bryon Ward, a developer.
    This week's proposal seemed to sway some council members who would rather see an entertainment venue at the site.
    But Councilwoman Patsy Marshall said she fears that a Best Buy and retail plaza will be the impetus for the E-Zone's demise.
    If the Planning Commission approves a zone change, it will be a limited one, interim City Manager Rick Warinski said. The zone change would apply to the specific tenant: If Best Buy left the plaza, for example, the City Council would have to review and approve a new tenant.
    The Planning Commission is to review the Movieland zone changes Oct. 24.

Re: Movieland Wax Replacement - more signs that the times are changin, and they...

No one has said anything, so I must add:

THIS SUCKS!

Sorry, but I had to. I'll go back to work now...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Movieland Wax Replacement - more signs that the times are changin, and they...

man i LOVED when the Wax Museum did The Black Box at halloween time...scared the crud outta me when i was a kid!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I guess it could be worst. They could be building another Walmart.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

That place was so run down, I hope that whatever they do they keep the statue of "DAVID" and make it a nice place to go. How long until they start?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phruby View Post
    I guess it could be worst. They could be building another Walmart.
    Boy, ain't that the truth!

• Minion FOREVER!

True.... but that's still sad... I never went there, but always wanted to go...

BTW. Disneyland Daddy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    True.... but that's still sad... I never went there, but always wanted to go...

BTW. Disneyland Daddy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    I think the last time I went was in 1978 or 1979. I know that because my sister was born in January 1980 - and she we didn't have her yet at our Movieland visit.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i went in 2002 and had a great time. it was fun to take an afternoon and make your way casually thru all the sets...

but damn i still miss the Black Box!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Its not just that closing the museum is sad, but that more RETAIL is being built.

That's whats scary in SoCal at least, is that all these business' are either leaving the area or closing down for good (like manufacturing and engineering jobs and aerospace) and its all being replaced by retail business.

What's slowly happening is that a huge chunk of the population here is going to work somehow for a retail business. Its like we're loosing the "brainy and brawny" business' to other cities, states and countries and pretty soon we're all gonna be working the floors and registers of retail business' if something isn't done soon.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Alos, think of the added traffic to an already snarled Beach Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    i went in 2002 and had a great time. it was fun to take an afternoon and make your way casually thru all the sets...
    Yeah, no rush and no wait. For me a big reason I had such a feeling for the place was the EARLY memories of going with my parents. The place was so similiar to how it was 25 years ago that it really felt like you were sharing something from your past.

But the politicians did nothing to help save it because they'd rather get tax money from those that replace it.

And with what has happened to Knott's over the last 10 years, it's lost much of it's history too...

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Still..........we really don't need ANOTHER mini-mall.

• :)

I love how they just threw a huge starbucks infront of it...I was laughing so hard when I drove by there and saw that.