Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Theme Park Progresses in Garden Grove - OCRegister.com

Story at: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1363761.php

City officials hope MGM Studios will consider two proposed theme parks, and recent meetings with interested developers are reason for optimism.

By DEEPA BHARATH
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    GARDEN GROVE City officials who attended a theme park expo in Atlanta say they remain optimistic about their meetings with MGM Studios officials at the event.
    Members of the city's Economic Development department for years have been trying to bring a theme park into the 520-acre resort area on Harbor Boulevard to help bolster other businesses such as hotels, restaurants and retail.
    Despite repeated failures to attract such investments, city officials came away from Atlanta last week more hopeful than ever because they had met with several interested developers, said Chet Yoshizaki, director of economic development.
    "Some have said they will start putting together proposals for the theme parks right away," he said.
    MGM representatives seemed impressed with the city's proposal and feasibility study, Yoshizaki said. The study identified two sites that could be developed into theme parks – the 100-acre Willowick Golf Course and 30 acres adjacent to the course, and 139 acres adjacent to the Garden Grove (22) Freeway at Harbor.
    The study, released in October, says the park could attract 4.6 million people and generate about $350 million a year.
    A spokesman for MGM in Los Angeles said Wednesday that his company has no immediate plan for theme parks in Southern California or elsewhere in the country.
    Yoshizaki declined to name developers, but said several are interested in a movie-based theme park along the lines of Universal as well as a separate water park and aquarium.
    Officials met with an architect who designed an aquarium in Atlanta who is interested in doing something similar in Garden Grove, Yoshizaki said.
    City officials haven't considered the possibility of an NFL stadium at the golf course site, he said.
    "It would be nice if we could have an NFL stadium," he said. "But that would be like winning the Lotto."
    Officials are also talking with at least two big-brand hotels about coming into the resort area, Yoshizaki said.
    City Council members are waiting and watching, said Councilman Mark Rosen.
    "We've talked to MGM every year and every year they've shown interest," Rosen said. "But what's different about it this time is we also sat down with the money people – the developers."
    Still, there are many hurdles to cross, Rosen said.
    "We have two new council members," he said. "We just have to hope that this time, it's for real."
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Theme Park Progresses in Garden Grove - OCRegister.com

Wait, that second area...is that the new area they are building by Disneyland that is taking forever to complete (er...start?)

• Circle of Ancients

^ No, that's still considered Anaheim. This is over in Garden Grove closer to the 22 freeway and Harbor.

Not the best area for a park if you ask me. I don't see this happening personally.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

This park proposal has two major things going for it: two available large parcels of Southern California land and a city council that is motivated to develop them.

Don't be surprised, however, if this park proposal has residential units included in it. Most commercial developments in Southern California now have some sort of residential component to make them economically feasible. If a home builder can cram enough houses onto that property and still do a theme park, they might actually subsidize the theme park construction.

I would say the likelihood of a new theme park in Garden Grove may actually depend on the health of the housing market.
    Rick

It's one of the worst areas for crime in all of Orange County.

There isn't going to be a theme park built anywhere near the 22 freeway, or Garden Grove Blvd. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    It's one of the worst areas for crime in all of Orange County.

There isn't going to be a theme park built anywhere near the 22 freeway, or Garden Grove Blvd. IMHO
    I agree, that area can be pretty scary and I can only imagine the type of people it would attract if this theme park does go through. It's bad enough going to the BLOCK in Orange on a weekend night with the type of people there.

*****I'd like to change my thoughts on the concept of this new theme park. After reading more about it and seeing what possibilities there could be, it actually sounds like it could be quite impressive and a lot of fun!! And altho the area where it would be located is pretty shabby now, perhaps with the new theme park it would turn out to be a very nice/safe place to visit and hang out. And in addition, it wouldn't attract a bad crowd...let's hope!! So I say 2 thumbs up now and hope the idea becomes a reality!***** 12/5/06
    Last edited by DisneyFunGuy; 12-05-2006 at 12:00 PM.

• Minion

According to this article, they are alloting $4 billion for 3 resort-style hotels, a new park, and a parking structure to be built on 150 acres of property. That's a lot of money for a non-Disney park (around $1 billion) and they are claiming it will be similar to Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, with a movie based theme. It seems that they are having no trouble with the budget; if this gets built, it could be on par with Universal Studios.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-m...ninav-business

So, what do you guys think? If this actually comes true, we'll have a next generation park just a few minutes away from Disneyland.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    So, what do you guys think? If this actually comes true, we'll have a next generation park just a few minutes away from Disneyland.
    And somewhere to go after Noon meets.

If they are smart, they will target the local families, with quality attractions, wonderful eating places, and keep the looming teenagers out (READ: No/Little Thrill Rides).

We'll see what happens.
    -Monorail Man

Hopefully they use a lot of the good ideas for MGM Adventures in Las Vegas. That park had rides that topped Disney's.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Hopefully they use a lot of the good ideas for MGM Adventures in Las Vegas. That park had rides that topped Disney's.
    Luckily, I had the chance to visit that park when I stayed at the MGM Grand. To tell you the truth, it really felt like a lackluster Universal Studios. None of the attractions really appealed to me, or had the same magic of the Disney attractions. Aside from that rapids ride, I still think Disney's attractions are far more engaging and visually impressive. Just my two cents.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Functional & Decorative

I'm just not clear on what demographic they could successfully pull in. Going for families seems like a bad idea to me, because how many people are they really going to be able to pull away from Disneyland? If they go for thrill rides/older teen market, they have to compete with Magic Mountain. And Knott's hits the in-between market. So who's left? If it's movie themed, there's already Universal, which has the huge advantage of being a real studio that gives tours. And a possible aquarium? There's already Sea World and, more locally, Long Beach Aquarium. I just can't imagine this really being able to pull in a considerable enough market to survive in the long run, unless they really end up finding a unique angle.

Plus, the plot of land doesn't seem all that big for their ambitious plans. Is it just me thinking that?
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I'm just not clear on what demographic they could successfully pull in. Going for families seems like a bad idea to me, because how many people are they really going to be able to pull away from Disneyland? If they go for thrill rides/older teen market, they have to compete with Magic Mountain. And Knott's hits the in-between market. So who's left? If it's movie themed, there's already Universal, which has the huge advantage of being a real studio that gives tours. And a possible aquarium? There's already Sea World and, more locally, Long Beach Aquarium. I just can't imagine this really being able to pull in a considerable enough market to survive in the long run, unless they really end up finding a unique angle.

Plus, the plot of land doesn't seem all that big for their ambitious plans. Is it just me thinking that?
    Many people don't see Disney as the end all in family parks. Remember, this is a Disney fan site, so we all are some fruit punch short of being a cult at times. With prices and such they should be able to deffinately compete with Disney, especially when Disney is god-awful crowded. Magic Mountain is far away. Teens would much rather drive 30-45 minutes than a few hours. Universal has very little to do there, so if this place has actual attractions, then it will already blow Universal out of the water. Same with Sea World. Sea World is also San Diego area, and those in the LA/OC/IE would prefer a quick drive to the new park rather than a drive down to San Diego. And as for Knotts, they lack any type of adventure and fun. They pretty much just offer thrills now. Only two darkrides, and one of those can be classified as a mild thrill ride. So if the new park has actual creative attractions and is nice and kept up, then Knotts will have nothing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Luckily, I had the chance to visit that park when I stayed at the MGM Grand. To tell you the truth, it really felt like a lackluster Universal Studios. None of the attractions really appealed to me, or had the same magic of the Disney attractions. Aside from that rapids ride, I still think Disney's attractions are far more engaging and visually impressive. Just my two cents.
    Did you go on the Backlot tour? Because those effects were top notch, especially since they are recreated every 90 seconds for a new boat. The detail and ideas in that ride were incredible.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Many people don't see Disney as the end all in family parks.
    Especially with the cost of Disneyland. By appealing to families, they could keep ticket numbers up with a lower-cost than Disney. $60 for the day IS expensive, and many people just can't afford it. If they can keep the quality high, and the prices fairly low (not Knott's low) then they should really be able to get the business.
    -Monorail Man

• AFI And MCR Fanatic

It seems like a do or die thing for the park. It needs to be a perfect mix of quality and thrill to pull people away from Knotts and Disneyland [and Magic Mountain to a lesser extent]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast