• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Universal City: Now with residents? - Los Angeles Times 12/6/06

Universal City: Now with residents?

The studio plans to transform its back lot into a residential neighborhood with 2,900 units.

By Roger Vincent and Amanda Covarrubias
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
    3:28 PM PST, December 6, 2006

Universal City, already the world's largest movie studio lot, will also become a major office and residential hub if $3 billion worth of improvements proposed today are approved.

The proposal by owner NBC Universal would transform the 391-acre property and adjacent land into more of an urban center. The historic studio would continue to operate its theme park and make movies and television shows, while adding a residential neighborhood with 2,900 units on its back lot that would be served by a new north-south street through the property.

The 25-year plan also calls for new production facilities, restaurants, stores, a hotel and improvements to both the studio tour and Universal CityWalk retail and entertainment center.

The proposal won praise from Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and some other political leaders, but reaction from neighborhood activists concerned about traffic and congestion was mixed.

The proposal would conform to current urban planning trends that call for denser development around public transportation nodes. Universal is adjacent to a Metro Rail subway stop.

"This is really a chance for us to take Universal into the next century," said Ron Meyer, president of the studio. "The plan makes sense for the community too."

Universal officials intend to file development applications with the city and county in early 2007 and begin an approval process that could take more than two years. The studio urgently needs more production facilities because it is often operating at 95% of capacity, Meyer said.

Universal's 30 soundstages are usually booked 24 hours a day, with internal productions having to share space with outside television, commercial and movie productions that rent the spaces.

Plans call for a new studio and office campus, across Lankershim Boulevard on parking lots around the subway station, to be built by Los Angeles developer Thomas Properties Group.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...home-headlines

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Universal City: Now with residents? - Los Angeles Times 12/6/06

When can I move onto Wisteria Lane??? hehe

I can't imagine where they will come up with the room. I've been around the perimeter of the studio's lot a few times from various entrance gates and unless they are planning some major demolition, where will they get the space?

Thanks for the info.

• C4C6C

Wow, this idea is coming up again? The residents on the City of L.A. side will definitely fight this, as they have in the past. Traffic that enters and exits the property for citywalk, etc is on the city side.

• ...TWO BITS!

Isn't some sort of room farther down the road from the War of the Worlds set? There's a big sign that says you can't enter after 7pm or something. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it looked like residental sets... I don't know.

Like in another thread, I'm excited for Gibson possibly moving out for theme park space. That's about the only good news I like. The improvements on the lot is good too.

They should really be focusing on the park. Why office space and residental housing?? Trying to get more money from these than the parks? LAME.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

http://www.screamscape.com/html/univ..._hollywood.htm

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=4829097

These sites put a more positive note to what has been previously stated in the OP. It states that USH knows the expansion problem for its theme park and is taking action to increase land. BUT, is the 80,000 square foot expansion referring to the Gibson theater??

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

LAME!!

From Screamscape:

(12/8/06) While I have yet to see any images of the new Vision Plan for Universal Studios Hollywood, it seems that the plan will call for Norman Bates famous Psycho House and the Bates Motel to be removed to make way for the 124 acre Universal Village residential project. Other famous studio tour icons that would be placed in front of the bulldozers would be the War of the Worlds disaster scene, Colonial Street and European Street. The Universal Village project would replace all these with 2,900 new apartments, lofts and town-homes, as well as 35 acres of hiking trails and parks that I assume will be the buffer area between it and the studios. If it seems like the development plan is a little lopsided, it is. While Universal seems happy to give up nearly 125 acres of their studio backlot property that is closest to the more vocal and troublesome neighbors on the hillside, the reported 80,000 square foot expansion of the theme park itself translates to a pathetic 1.83 acres. As a direct comparison, Splash Mountain at Disneyland is said to take up 2.3 acres of space by itself.
    A final thought about the Universal Village site... this article raises one great question. Whoever gets to build a new home on the site of the former Psycho house, will they ever take showers?

-Jurassic Park