• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Anyone been to Kennywood?

I haven't been there in a really long time, but there's a themepark in Pennsylvania I think near Pittsburg. It's called Kennywood and when I was there, it was still working on the whole "buy a wristband to get on the rides" and the whole park was just old-fashioned and family friendly. Anyone been there or know anything about how the park's doing?

Yes, Kennywood is right outside of the Pittsburg area...It is a wonderful park! I went last year and had a really nice time...It has a very casual family-picnic park feel to it..very clean and charming and historic...Plus it boasts several classic wooden coasters from the 20's & 30's..
    Last year they still had the wristbands but I have heard they have changed over to a pay-one-price (POP) to get into the park.

I highly recommend this park for it's history and quaintness and beauty...
    DannyBoy

Kennywood! I was born and raised in Western PA, and this is one of the benchmarks of traditional amusement parks. It is NOT a theme park! It's an old fashioned amusement park that shows you what it used to be like. If we're back there durung season, it's a must.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries
    Thanks SO much for the info! And i'm sorry for calling it a theme park. The thunderbolt rocks! and the Jackrabbit and the whippersnapper, and the Racers(is that the right name?)...

• ...or just Tonny

Kennywood is one of my all-time favorite parks. It's a classic. The atmosphere there is totally unique and authentic, definitely very different from Disney - it's not a theme park - but magical in its own right.

They have some stunning rides - The Thunderbolt being centerpiece as far as I am concerned. But it's a very family friendly park, mixing modern thrillrides with classic rides hard to find anywhere else these days.

Kennywood is a must-see for any amusement park fan who is evn remotely close to the park!

Kennywood is phenominal. And they turned one of the worst coasters in the country (Steel Phantom) into one of the greatest out there, Phantom's Revenge.

It's one of the last of the true traditional parks left, which doesn't have much of a corporate feel.

One of the true delights is the number of rides which are the last of their kind, or close to the last. The turtle, a vintage Whip, Noah's Ark, an Old Mill, etc!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabody
    Kennywood is phenominal. And they turned one of the worst coasters in the country (Steel Phantom) into one of the greatest out there, Phantom's Revenge.

It's one of the last of the true traditional parks left, which doesn't have much of a corporate feel.

One of the true delights is the number of rides which are the last of their kind, or close to the last. The turtle, a vintage Whip, Noah's Ark, an Old Mill, etc!
    When I was there (in 199-er-5), Steel Phantom had just recently opened and I remembered just thinking...I'd rather be on the thunderbolt. But I'm so thrilled to hear that they made it better!

The turtle, holy cow how did I forget that one! It's the best! and the Old Mill...good times. However, I do miss the old Ark...I remember they changed it to be more of an archeological site rather than the "happy animalish" ark and I was kinda sad. Oh well, life moves on. I really need to get back there!

Miss Christine: Have you seen what they did to it? They ripped out and replaced everything after the first two huge drops (all the loops, etc.) and made it into a "hyper coaster". No loops, tons of speed, and tons of airtime. Morgan Manufacturing took the old Arrow coaster and made it something new. They also replaced parts of the trains so the torture device over the shoulder restraint is gone, and a comfortable lapbar system is in. The airtime on this thing is unparallelled in intensity. Check out my pictures of both the old Phantom, and the new Phantom's Revenge... http://www.coastergallery.com/2000T/KW.html

• Rock Star Minion

I was there in 1991. Very nice park. It's always on those Roller Coaster shows on Travel.
    I love the way that the coasters conform to the geography.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries
    wow, thanks Peabody!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I was there in 1991. Very nice park. It's always on those Roller Coaster shows on Travel.
    I love the way that the coasters conform to the geography.
    I think that's one of the best parts of the park-the mountains create natural drops and makes it so the track winds around nature-y stuff. hooray Kennywood!