Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magic Mountain Falling Apart

Wow, I really wish I had brought along a camera to my trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain today. I was invited last night around 9:30, so I didn't have much time to prepare.

The first thing my party noticed was how dead the park was. I know it's winter, but aren't people on break right now? We literally walked on every ride and had the option of remaining in our seats for another trip for most of them.

Our first ride was Goliath, a coaster I haven't ever seen before considering the last time I went Riddler's Revenge was brand new. The ride was incredible and the theming suprised me with broken statues littered around the que. Not Disney quality, but decent for a coaster.

After that, it was all down hill. Every ride we rode had paint peeling everywhere, signs with grafitti, and dusty boxes with wires where TVs once entertained guests. Colossus was horribly dingy looking and incredibly painful. Scream was located in a back corner themed with a rotting blue fence and clutter covering the once parking lot floor.

The worst was Superman. The Fortress of Solitude has sections of plaster missing, revealing the mesh beneath, and almost all of the facade is covered in dirt and filth. The exit walkway has paintings of the caped crusader, except the paint was faded and gouged out in many places.

To make the park even look worse, many of the food stands and soveigner shops remained closed due to the lack of crowds, so we were constantly walking by carts and stores with metal windows drawn shut. Then, many of the attractions were also closed without being mentioned on the front gate. Ninja was closed due to the weather (cloudy?) and the Jet Stream was also closed despite no notification. We were also dissapointed to learn that the Batman stuntshow that is pimped all over the park and website is not opperating this season, and many of the park's stages are empty with "Happy Hollidays" on the marquee instead of show titles and times.

Magic Mountain really needs to step up now that they have decided to keep the park. Get rid of some of the lesser coasters (Psyclone, Deja Vu, Scream, the rusting Flashback) and put in a better variety of attractions to attract families. My friends all wondered how a theme park could survive on so few patrons, especially with the difficulty in getting my pal's season pass (he bought a day, got a year free thing). We first went to the Guest Relations to get his pass. No, apparantly the building to get your pass is down an unused walkway, around a corner, and next to the still standing Flashback. The office itself is incredibly tiny and uninviting. They want people to get season passes to bring back guests and spend more money, yet they stick the office in the most remote area of the park?

I really hope they can turn things around. They have some awesome coasters (especially the new Tatsu!) and so much potential, they just need to start thinking outside the teen-aged box.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Re: Magic Mountain Falling Apart

WOW! Thanks for the great report, it's disspointing when things with great potential don't even show signs of improvment!

• When Will It Return?

I find it so wonderfully ironic that the Season Pass Processing got moved to the single largest eyesore in the entire park. It's like they're saying, "We're so glad you bought a Season Pass - here's a coaster you won't be riding!" That park never ceases to amaze me.

I think tomorrow I'll take my camera over there and do an ImageShack album showing how decrepit that place has become.

-- PMM
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 12-21-2006 at 11:16 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

^^ About the shows. On the day you were there...today, the 21st?...
    There were two shows playing: Extreme Parrots at the Carrot Club Theater, and the WB Kids Club. These two shows play on every operating day. Golden Bear Theater had a marquee reading "Have a happy anneversary at Six Flags". This theater is only for special events. Magic Moments Theater read "happy holidays". It is currently housing The Magic Illusions of Ray Peirce. It plays on weekends, and through the end of the year starting on Friday. You claimed that it wasn't at all crowded. How many people would have gone to the magic show today. Not feasable to have the show operating. The same holds true for the Batman Begins Stunt Show. This show is only advertised as being open during the summer season, and has been on break since Labor Day. Not cost effective to have a show for 30 people. 2 rides in operation....or.... a show?

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220 View Post
    ^^ About the shows. On the day you were there...today, the 21st?...
    There were two shows playing: Extreme Parrots at the Carrot Club Theater, and the WB Kids Club. These two shows play on every operating day. Golden Bear Theater had a marquee reading "Have a happy anneversary at Six Flags". This theater is only for special events. Magic Moments Theater read "happy holidays". It is currently housing The Magic Illusions of Ray Peirce. It plays on weekends, and through the end of the year starting on Friday. You claimed that it wasn't at all crowded. How many people would have gone to the magic show today. Not feasable to have the show operating. The same holds true for the Batman Begins Stunt Show. This show is only advertised as being open during the summer season, and has been on break since Labor Day. Not cost effective to have a show for 30 people. 2 rides in operation....or.... a show?
    Maybe it might be a tad busier if the shows were in fact running. We finished the park in 4 hours. That wasn't even long enough for our group to get hungry so the park could reap in 8 bucks per person for chicken strips or a $10 Panda Express meal. If there were more things to see, we might have stayed longer and they might have made actual money from us. And because of the lack of things to do, I know I won't be returning any time soon. So the lack of shows actually caused negative attendance, not a good thing for a theme park barely making it.

And yes, they had a bird show and a kid show where you get wet. We were cold adults and had no interest in a wet children's show. And if we were fans of bird antics we would have been at some zoo. We came to a thrill park to see thrills, including on stage. Stunt Shows, magic, comedians, anything aimed at someone over the age of 13.

So, we spent $40 to spend 4 hours in the park. That's all that the Mountain made from us. Well that, and the $15 parking (geez!). If they were to actually add entertainment, a greater variety of rides, and some much needed TLC, they might have gotten season passes, soveigner money, a few over priced meals, and most importantly, return visits.
    Last edited by Professortango; 12-22-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: .

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Lisa and I went yesterday and had a GREAT time...

OK, here are some photos...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2264562

It was an amazing day, yes the crowds were light, but they were also light on Wednesday at Disneyland (many schools have shifted to a later Winter Break due to Three Kings Day and unexcused absences).

We started the day with an employee come up to us and conversing for a few minutes (her name was Dee), she was wonderful and just came up to us, a great way to start the day.

We then entered the park, and headed over to the Season Pass center, where we got our 2007 passes, another great group of employees.

After that, we ran into Jodi from Media Relations (she used to be the SoCal ACE rep), since they were filming part of a Music Video at the park.

Picked up our Flash Passes (we both have Xtreme SP's).

Then we rode the Orient Express (Inclinator) which we were glad to see up and running again (they removed the track to build Tatsu).

Then off to Tatsu, where we had a great ride, and even bought the on-ride photo!

Then off to the restrooms near Tatsu, which were very clean and in great shape (check the photos).

Then spent some time talking to Patrick in the Arcade near the restrooms, another amazing employee who started a conversation. The entire day was filled with great interaction with the Six Flags Magic Mountain employees, starting with the Tram driver, who even made an "unofficial" stop to pick up some more folks. The Character interaction was really good also! Another shoutout to the Petting Zoo employee, she was great!

Also noticed repairs and buildings get repainted throughout the park.

Then off to the back of the park and some roller coasters, heck people were even riding Tidal Wave.

Had some roasted corn near Batman (why doesn't Disney sell this great tasting treat?).

Also did some shopping, basically taking advantage of the close-outs and the extra Xtreme Pass discount, ended up with 2 polo Shirts, a T-shirt, two Coffee Mugs, a pilsner glass and 2 shot glasses for less than $30.

Left the park about 30 minutes after closing, there wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted to do, missed the bird show, though we both enjoyed it in prior visits.

And this is two 40 something folks visiting, had a GREAT time and looking forward to MANY return visits in 2007!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

^^^ Wow, really wish I had used that new restroom instead of the Fort le John bathrooms. Those had pee all over the floors, no TP, no paper towels, and three broken faucets, not to mention the blasting AC on a winter's day.

I guess the lesson is stick to the newer portions of the park like the revamped Tatsu area.

Also, how late did you get there without being able to do everything? My party arrived around 10:30 and by 3 we had done every open coaster as well as Roaring Rapids, spin out, and the giant swing. And that's including sit-down breaks and a few midway games.

•   
    • Minion

I was about to say, it didn't look that bad to me... I really do not like the Gotham theming that much, only because I don't "get it..." Who wants to come from a dirty old city to ride rides in a fake "dirty old city?"

Still the park looks pretty clean... has interesting thematic elements... And utilises some cheap elements, but it isn't exactly what I would call a disaster ridden, broken down and crumbling park...
    Check out my other blog:

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

We got there before Noon, and spent a good 6+ hours enjoying the park, and didn't get everything done, even with using our Flash Passes.

And I seriously doubt the restrooms were missing TP and Paper Towels, they have specific employees in charge of the restrooms to make sure that doesn't happen. One stall, maybe, but they use the "two roll" dispensers, which should prevent that from happening
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 12-22-2006 at 01:21 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

People have different perspectives on how they see things, some see the details and ignore the big things and then visa versa.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    People have different perspectives on how they see things, some see the details and ignore the big things and then visa versa.
    When looking at Darkbeer's photos, I did see some details that needed fixing... tire marks on a curb, small dents in roofs and signage, things with paint colors that I certainly would never pick myself... But it was fresh paint, and things looked clean... But nothing horrably out of place, and still a whole lot cleaner than say... a new community suburban street...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I have to say, I really appreciate the oppposing trip reports.

It goes to show you what vastly different experiences can be had in the same park by two different groups.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Well I know I've never seen Wonder Woman, Batman yes but not Wonder Woman!

DB I love the pics with the stuffed plushies on the bench....HA!

Is this stroller parking?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by claribella View Post
    Is this stroller parking?

Yes, it is located just outside the Bird Show theater.

And as for the Plushes, I found one I liked, then just kept finding more, though the last one (in the stroller) was "fixed", as Dad agreed to place him in the stroller seat, but all the "bench" shots were just random "finds".

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    We got there before Noon, and spent a good 6+ hours enjoying the park, and didn't get everything done, even with using our Flash Passes.

And I seriously doubt the restrooms were missing TP and Paper Towels, they have specific employees in charge of the restrooms to make sure that doesn't happen. One stall, maybe, but they use the "two roll" dispensers, which should prevent that from happening
    I didn't check the other stalls seeing as they were in use, but mine was indeed out of TP. And sadly, no paper towels were on hand after washing mine. I generally don't care about paper towels, but in such a cold restroom on a cold day, I wanted to cleanse my hands of their very cold water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast